Author Topic: McMAHON  (Read 30812 times)

Offline sio59

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
McMAHON
« on: Wednesday 26 November 08 06:05 GMT (UK) »
I have been working on the following family for quite some time and just when I seem to have taken  3 steps forward, I end up falling 3 steps back! I am very grateful to those on Rootschat who have helped me get this far with the McMahon's and am now hoping others might pick up on a familiar name.

Timothy McMahon born c 1834 Co Clare , died Oct 1914 at 1 Edward Street Limerick m Catherine Hurley born c1832, Co Clare died 1898 also at 1 Edward St Limerick.
In the 1901 Limerick City Census Timothy is listed at the above address as a Publican & Grocer.

Children of Timothy and Catherine were
Mary Anne b 1865 Co Clare
Timothy b ?1868-Mungret & Crecora although is recorded in 1901 Census as being 30yrs
Margaret b 1870-Lemonfield Co Limerick
Catherine b 1871-Co Clare
Hannah b1873 Lemonfield, Co Limerick

I have been able to obtain birth records for Hannah and Margaret from GRO but unfortunately they could not locate records for the other children. as they needed an area in which to search for the births.

When Timothy Sen. died, the pub was run by Mary Anne and later by Catherine and her husband Thomas Pierce (family say he was a carpenter by trade).

Timothy Jr (or Tady as he was known) married a Bella ?Sweeney b Cork City. Tady was a photographer, having learnt his trade at Guy & Co in Limerick City. In the 1901 Census of Limerick City, Tady and Bella were living at 75 George Street Limerick where Tady also had his own photography business. I have been unable to locate a marriage record for them.

In the Limerick Leader dated 31-1-1955 ,there is an article on Tady and his athletic career during which he won 4 Irish Championships in distance running and, according to this article, Tady emigrated to the States (between 1901-1911). I can find no emigration records for him or Bella.
The article also mentions two sons of Tady and Bella--Ned who apparently moved to Dublin area (?when) and was involved in GAA sports and Tim who was also an athlete who had won the Army "100" at Cork in the 1930's.

The above poses the questions, did Tady and Bella actually emigrate and if so when? Did they return to Ireland?

Margaret married Thomas C Carroll in Feb 1858 in St Michael's RC Church Limerick. Thomas' address was Emma Villa, Thomondgate, Limerick, (GGrandparents). Thomas was a stationer and neither himself or Margaret are listed on the Limerick 1901 or 1911 Census. Apparently, they moved around Ireland for a time with Thomas' job.

Hannah married Stephen Toomey (of Toomey Mineral Water) in Sept 1908 at St Joseph's RC Church Limerick.

Sio
BEVAN, Cambridge, New York
CORBETT, DUNNE, WILLINGTON, Tipperary
LYNCH, Tipperary, Dublin, New York
CARROLL, Tipperary,  Limerick
CONNERY,ELLIS,GUERIN,HINCHY,HUMPHRIES,McMAHON,SHEEHY,TAYLOR,WELSH/WALSH,  Limerick
CONLISK, DALY, DAVIN, FLANAGAN,  Kilconla, Galway
BROWN, Tyrone
HANNON, MOORE, TOTTEN,  Antrim
McLERNON /McALERNON, CREANEY, DONNELLY ,  Antrim, Down, Armagh

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: McMAHON
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 26 November 08 08:48 GMT (UK) »
Census and other information are avilable on the Limerick City Council website at - http://www.limerick.ie/library/localstudies/.

These Timothy McMahons appear on the index for 1901 - from a householder index. It appears that thet can provide a copy of the complete page for a fee...

McMahon Timothy, Edward Street, St Michael's (Parish)
McMahon Timothy, George Street, St Michael's

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline sio59

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 26 November 08 09:30 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your reply Shane.

I actually use the wonderful Limerick library local studies site quite as lot, as many of my other relatives came from the Limerick area. I do have the complete 1901 census pages for both Timothy's which were kindly sent me.

Sio
CONNERY,ELLIS,GUERIN,HINCHY,HUMPHRIES,McMAHON,SHEEHY,TAYLOR,WELSH/WALSH,  Limerick
BROWN, Tyrone

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 26 November 08 10:32 GMT (UK) »
I have a map somewhere of the registration districts of Ireland -
I'll see if I can find it.

Maybe it would be possible to narrow down the possible districts for the McMahon births so a GRO search would be an option..

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 26 November 08 12:18 GMT (UK) »
there's a very small version of the districts map on the GroIreland website at : http://www.groireland.ie/history.htm  (about half way down)

quite a few births from the 1860s and 70s are on the LDS site at www.familysearch.org , select the 'IGI/British Isles' after you start the search on the right to narrow the search by county.

There's an interesting birth that could be connected to your McMahons..
(its an extracted record)

Mary McMahon born 5th July 1864 Quin, Clare, Ireland
Father:     Thady McMahon    
Mother:     Catherine Hurley    

Thady is usually short for 'Thaddeus' but he could have been known as Timothy.  The number  0568 appears in the address - I dont know what this means. The town of Quin is about 10km east of Ennis, which is the county town.

Clare library has a great Genealogy site at http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclare/genealogy/genealog.htm (included Census index, Griffiths, Tithe, Directories etc)

This birth occurs in the year civil registration started so it may be included.

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 26 November 08 12:28 GMT (UK) »
When a number like '0568' appears it usually refers to the page number in the register.
IGI also lists 3 other children for Thady McMahon and Catherine Hurley:
Kate born 24 Jan.1866 Quin
Thady born 28 July 1868 Clarina (could thi be Timothy?)
Margaret born 1 Nov.1871 Ireland
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 26 November 08 12:43 GMT (UK) »
from Slaters commercial directory of 1894, Limerick City section:

there are no Timothy & Thady but these are the grocer/publican related McMahon Entries :
MacMahon A. M. temperance hotel & dining rooms, 26 George street
McMahon Elizabeth, refreshment caterer & spirit dealer, 16 Thomas street & 10 Carey's road
McMahon Francis, corn & flour merchant, 51 Up. William st
McMahon John, grocer & spirit dealer, Nicholas street
McMahon Margaret, shopkeeper, 4 Broad street
McMahon Michael, grocer & spirit dealer, 1 Nelson street
McMahon Thomas, grocer & spirit dealer, Nicholas street

1 Edward street is listed with the following entries :

GROCERS & SPIRIT DEALERS.
  Costelloe James, 1 Edward street

SPIRIT DEALERS.
   McCormack William, 1 Edward street

Slaters 1881
PLASTERERS & SLATERS.
  Moloney Thomas, 1 Edward st

The town of Quin is mentioned in the 1894 directory (but not the 1881 edition) with a population of 179. No McMahons are listed.

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline sio59

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 26 November 08 23:40 GMT (UK) »
Shane and aghadowey, thank you both for your help.

I will have a look at the Quin area Shane regarding Mary and the Kate which aghadowey mentioned and  try GRO for the records. It will be interesting to see their fathers occupation as on the other birth records I have from GRO Timothy's occupation is "Butler".

The following is  on the McMahon's-this from Trades Directory Limerick. The daughter's obviously maintained Timothy's name on the register after his death. On the 1898 death cert of Catherine, Timothy's wife, it is stated Catherine was "Grocer's wife"

McMahon Timothy   Unknown      1891      12    Caledonia Place, Edward Street
        McMahon Timothy   Unknown      1912      1      Lord Edward Street
   McMahon Timothy   Unknown      1913      1      Lord Edward Street
   McMahon Timothy   Unknown      1914      1      Lord Edward Street
   McMahon T.   Spirit Dealers   1915   1   Edward Street
   McMahon T.   Spirit Dealers   1918   1   Edward Street
   McMahon T.    Spirit Dealers   1920   1   Edward Street

aghadowey- I do have this record for Timothy Jr and yes I do think this is the correct record, the area being Greenhills of Mungret/Crecora parish.

Sio
BROWN, Tyrone

Offline mcmahon100

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 18 October 09 19:28 BST (UK) »
Hi there!

I am Thady Mc Mahon's great great grand daughter. My dad tells me that Thady died young and never emigrated. His son Ned moved to Dublin in his late teens and joined the Irish Army. He later married Rose Greene from Fermanagh who was ten years his senior. Ned was chairman of Eireann's Isle GAA Club in Finglas, Dublin. They have four surviving children. Anna, Rose and twins Tadhg and Phyllis.