Author Topic: High Streets, Oakham & Loughborough (Photos anyone?)  (Read 5686 times)

Offline The Geneal Geologist

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
High Streets, Oakham & Loughborough (Photos anyone?)
« on: Saturday 29 November 08 11:01 GMT (UK) »
Looking for any photos of older Oakham High Street, especially anything that shows the Sanders gunshop (sold 1872), which I understand is somehow still existing but incorporated into a department stores called Furleys. This gunshop was set up by my 3xGGF Joseph SANDERS.

Also photos of the Anchor Inn in High Street Loughborough (c1860's), owned by his son John SANDERS in High Street.

If you're willing to share, please PM so I can forward you my email.

Thanks,
Mark

Offline JillyNutton

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: High Streets, Oakham & Loughborough (Photos anyone?)
« Reply #1 on: Monday 19 April 10 17:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Mark

I have some old photos from a book that I can email to you - if that will help.  I'm not sure if you can make your gunshop out but they are of the market area of Oakham and will show parts of Furley and Hassans

Jill

Offline roofy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 19 April 10 23:01 BST (UK) »
Hi, here are the  links to the Frances Frith site
http://www.francisfrith.com/oakham/
http://www.francisfrith.com/loughborough/

I dont know how far back the photos go, I just did a search for both town names,
good luck
Roofy
Seyer [Bristol and London], Porter [Swindon and Manchester], Lawless, Wilson, Wood, Ebsworthy, Willson [not a typo, have different spellings on different sides of the family]. Also Lawler [London and Liverpool}, Bagnaro and Cavo [London and Maiori, Italy], also Engley/Englie-London, Gloucester and Bristol, Palmer [Chichester and London]. Recently added Greaves [Derbys], Handley Greaves [Derbyshire, London and Swindon]

Offline antiquary

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 30 August 16 20:29 BST (UK) »
There is a very extensive collection of Rutland photographs in the Rutland County Museum, Oakham, Jack Hart collection, so I suggest consulting that archive. Frith images are good but few in number. Also consider looking at Matkins Oakham Almanacks (1881-1941) of which there is a run in the same collection.