Author Topic: The Roe Valley Hospital  (Read 15744 times)

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The Roe Valley Hospital
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 14 April 15 20:47 BST (UK) »
Joan,
      Many thanks for your reply. I enjoyed reading it. A further snippet which may be of interest. I believe that one of the Robertson daughters was the driving force in having the workhouse in Limavady converted to a hospital about 1933 and Dr. Robertson was the first surgeon but was only allowed to perform basic operations because of the level of male chauvinism in those days. My mother was employed as a midwife there on her return from a stint of nursing in Newfoundland in 1938 and that was where she met my father. Thus it is highly likely that the actions of your forebears were instrumental in my birth.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline drumalief

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 15 April 15 17:21 BST (UK) »
Kingskerswell,
Continuing in the same vein, I was born in the Roe Valley Hospital in September '45. Maybe your mother was in attendance? :)

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 15 April 15 17:34 BST (UK) »
Drumalief,
                No, my parents married in 1941 and my mother became a farmer's wife in Ballyness. However I was also born in the Roe Valley hospital in 1942, my brother was born there a year later and my sister in July 1945.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline edenreaghbeg

• RootsChat Member
  • we don't find ancestors... they find us
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 20 October 15 19:19 BST (UK) »
 There is a lovely photograph of her in the Workhouse Museum in Limavady  kingskerswell and i saw it a few years ago
McGill/Somers/McIvor in Co Derry.
Lynch Co Dublin
Morgan / Ross / Curoe/Roberts in Co Down

Offline tanster1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 02 December 15 22:04 GMT (UK) »
Dear Joan,

I am currently researching Muriel Robertson, who I believe from reading your post was a relative of yours.  I am a Senior Lecturer at the University of Glasgow and I work on the parasite Trypanosoma brucei, for which Muriel described the life cycle.  We are holding a symposium on 8th Jan next year to consider the contributions of three great scientists from Glasgow: Robert Leiper, William Leishman and Muriel Robertson (see http://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/glasgow-encounters-with-tropical-disease-tickets-18603376199), and I have (as a fellow female parasitologist working on T. brucei) been asked to talk about Muriel Robertson.  I am keen not only to showcase her remarkable work (both on T. brucei and the many other organisms she researched), but also to try to bring her alive as a person, and wonder whether you might have any stories or photos you would be willing to share.

Best regards,
Tansy Hammarton

Offline Croutear

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 15 May 16 22:01 BST (UK) »
I am most interested in your post reference Dorothy and Katherine Robertson. Dorothy was also MY great aunt and I spent many happy days at the Dogleap. I was brought up in Limavady and am sitting with another cousin, looking through old Robertson photographs. My grandmother was Noni, one of the youngest Robertson children. She married an Aubrey Lane.
The last of the 21 first cousins died last year ( my father was one of them ).
Who was your connection to the family??
Look forward to hearing from you....
Penny

Offline Croutear

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 15 May 16 22:04 BST (UK) »
Also to the lady researching MUriel Robertson. I do have photographs and information about her. Still trying to sort a lot of family information but could provide something if it is not too late for you.
Penny Croutear

Offline Croutear

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 10 June 16 21:35 BST (UK) »
I am most interested in this discussion, as Katherine O. Robertson was my grandmother's youngest sister. (Actually, the Octavia was for the fact that she was the eighth girl, not the eighth child; there were four boys.) I was happy to be able to visit the hospital in 2009 and to see the portrait of my great-aunt, thanks to the kindness of my cab driver. I think she was buried in Drumachose Cemetery, if that makes sense, and it most likely would have been Church of Ireland.

I wonder if someone might be able to tell me where I might obtain a copy of T. H. Mullen's Limavady and the Roe Valley. I've seen it on Amazon, but for about $120.00 Canadian -- rather steep for me!

Regards to all,

Joan Robb

Offline Croutear

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 10 June 16 21:41 BST (UK) »
I am most interested in this discussion, as Katherine O. Robertson was my grandmother's youngest sister. (Actually, the Octavia was for the fact that she was the eighth girl, not the eighth child; there were four boys.) I was happy to be able to visit the hospital in 2009 and to see the portrait of my great-aunt, thanks to the kindness of my cab driver. I think she was buried in Drumachose Cemetery, if that makes sense, and it most likely would have been Church of Ireland.

I wonder if someone might be able to tell me where I might obtain a copy of T. H. Mullen's Limavady and the Roe Valley. I've seen it on Amazon, but for about $120.00 Canadian -- rather steep for me!

Regards to all,

Joan Robb
To Joan Robb
My grandmother was also one of the sisters of Katherine and Dorothy. I have a photograph of all 12 brothers and sisters and would love to chat to you via private email. We are cousins !!  I lived in Limavady until I was 18 and have been back several times each year to visit my mother. My father was the son of Gertrude Llona Robertson.
Don't wish to put my email on here but look for Penny Croutear on Facebook ( lives in Devizes ) and message me there.