Author Topic: Onchan burial  (Read 10557 times)

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Onchan burial
« Reply #9 on: Friday 10 May 13 21:53 BST (UK) »
No mention on www.imuseum.im?
Nor on Lawson's
(http://www.iomfhs.im/lawsons/LawsonBMD/Main_Site_index.html?Submit=Lawson+BMD+Home)

Her death is recorded on ManxBMD, however.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 10 May 13 23:57 BST (UK) »
the previous discussion in on http://www.isle-of-man.com/genealogy/messageboard/manx_archive_2.pl/md/read/id/533235

which is the most detailed + useful response was from Paul Wade -
having spoken to Jane Cretney the Parish Clerk, she unfortunately informs me that they do not know the location of Isabella Corlett (nee Morrison) who died on the 13th and buried at Kirk Onchan on the 16th July 1902 aged 55 years, as there is no marker, plot number or indication as to where Isabella was buried.

The graves had no format at that time and some graves were sold in advance thereby they weren't in any particular order. The buying of plots there has stopped now as Mrs Cretney informs me that they have burial plots which are vacant and extremelly old and the likliehood is that the owners of these old plots have moved further afield, but cannot be used as they have to remain vacant for any legal owner to acquire them.

If you have Google Earth, you can view the church from above at these coordinates
54 10'26.60"N 4 27'07.00"W
The right of the church and towards the two red vehicles parked on the road is the extremelly large area where Isabella would likely be burried. I realise that it doesn't help much, but I'm therefore unable to assist any further Fiona and apart from doing a DNA sample on all the graves there, this one will have to remain unsolved unless there's a chance message in a letter or record somewhere.

---
I am surprised that the burial appears to be missing from BL's list
any thing with a Manx Connection

Offline Blue-Sten

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 12 May 13 09:58 BST (UK) »
Thanks, I lost track after I was on maternity leave with my first child! I will make a note, although it's a pity there's no markers.

My direct relative, who was Isabella's daughter, died very young. Hence we know very little about our Isle of Man side. It doesn't make it easy when so many people have the same surname!

Thanks for all your help though!

Much appreciated!

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 12 May 13 10:30 BST (UK) »
Isabella was most likely daughter of Thomas Morrison + Jane Corkill (marr Mau 18230105) - in 1841 + 51 they were farming Ballasaig (a small 10ac holding) - Jane was probably daughter of Peter Corkill (from a line of Peter Corkill's )+ Elinor Clague, Thomas s/o Mathias Morrison + Isabel Kennish(or Kinnish) who married Braddan 17960109
Matthias was probably baptised as Mylvorrey(son of servant of Mary which anglicised as Morrison) Maughold 17630213 s/o Tho Mylvorrey + Elizth Calow who married Maughold 17510824
see many will summaries on www.manxnotebook.com - if you post on the other message board (which Voirrey mentioned and where you posted some time ago) there is another active researcher who can held with Maughold lines
any thing with a Manx Connection