Author Topic: Herbertsons of Dalton  (Read 10552 times)

Offline hume

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Herbertsons of Dalton
« on: Sunday 30 November 08 01:23 GMT (UK) »
Hello everyone,

I am hoping to find any descendants of this family or anyone who thinks they may have a connection - even if it is rather distant! ;) Information is welcome too, although I do have a small amount of it already.

John Herbertson married Elizabeth Linton on the 6th Apr 1772 at Dalton, Dumfriesshire. Both were of Holmains (which I have since found was owned by the Carruthers family). They had three children I know of:

• Jannet Herbertson, b. 1773 in Dalton (may have married George Buckham in 1802?)
  • Rachel Herbertson, b. 1777 in Dalton (likely married Robert Somerville in 1804)
  • Thomas Herbertson, b. 1779 in Dalton (married 1st. Isobell Kerr, 2nd. Helen Black) (my own line)

Thomas died in 1865 and was a wright/builder and house proprietor. His father, John, was a farmer, perhaps in Holmains or a smaller dwelling of his own. Can't find any births for Elizabeth, although there is a possible for John Harberson at Dalton in 1727, father Thomas. 45 seems a little late to be married (could suggest Elizabeth was his second wife), so I am unsure whether to go with this one until I have other details to verify.

hume24 :)

Offline akc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • st magnus cathedral
    • View Profile
Re: Herbertsons of Dalton
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 30 November 08 23:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi there, I found this in the Dalton graveyard inscriptions book:No: 128: The late reverend Mr Thomas Herbertson son to Thomas late in Holmains who died 2nd august 1762 age 35 years who was the minister of the gospel also of the Congregation of Dumfries also George Herbertson in Twathats who died 2nd February 1800 age 66 also Mary Gibson his spouse who died at Stenries-yet 18 Nov 1815 age 75  and of Thomas Herbertson their son who died at Stenries 1st Sep age 76 also John Herbertson merchant son of above who died at Maxwelltown 9 Dec 1883 age 67. Ive also found a Mary Herbertson married to Andrew Beattie at Hallidayhill, Dalton and 4 of their children, John b 14/6/1803, Mary b 16/6/1801, Agnes b 16/3/1798 and George b 3/11/1805. There also seems to be a Robert Herbertson at what looks like Braehillroadside?born in 1807 to Robert Herbertson.

AKC
Dumfriesshire: Bell, Kerr, Dickson, Hetherington
Orkney: Cursiter, Peace, Drever, Cooper, Paterson, Brock, Leslie, Malcomson, Miller, Scott
Cumberland: Charlton, Young

Offline hume

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 01 December 08 07:43 GMT (UK) »
AKC,

That is wonderful. That would make Thomas, the minister, brother to my John Herbertson. :) I think George could be another brother of theirs as there is a baptism for him in 1731, father Thomas just the same.

I have found another son of John Herbertson and Elizabeth Linton; James born about 1781 and died 1858 in Millport. He married a Margaret Hunter of there.

Thank you again AKC.

hume24 :)

Offline akc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • st magnus cathedral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 01 December 08 08:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi again, any chance that Mary and Robert are  offspring of your ancestors given that her children have the same names!

AKC
Orkney: Cursiter, Peace, Drever, Cooper, Paterson, Brock, Leslie, Malcomson, Miller, Scott

Offline hume

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 01 December 08 17:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi again,

I've discovered it was actually a Margaret Herbertson who married Andrew Beattie in 1796. I had a check of the original image on SP, but it doesn't mention any place names, except Dalton. :( Also had a search for a death certificate, but no luck - I did think it a bit unlikely she would live to 1855 though.

I can't find Robert on the census, so can't confirm his ancestry either. :(

hume24

Offline akc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • st magnus cathedral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 01 December 08 20:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi, just me again,
No;177 in Dalton graveyard inscriptions book - Agnes Beattie spouse to John Sandert and daughter to Andrew Beattie in Hallidayhill who died 26 March 1816 age 17, also Margaret Herbertson spouse to Andrew Beattie in Hallidayhill who died Jan 8th 1826 age 54 also above Andrew Beattie who died April 14 1830 aged 65 years.
There are 6 Herbertson graves mentioned in this book but these are the only 2 that seem to be connected to you, but maybe as you find out more they might become relevant.There is also a George Herbertson in the old parochial deaths for Dalton who die at Twathats iin 1800.

AKC   

Offline hume

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 03 December 08 05:47 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the Beattie/Herbertson inscription. I will keep it saved, just in case I can add Margaret to these Herbertsons.

I think George of Twathats (1800) could be a brother to John Herbertson. The name seems to have continued down the families along with Thomas.

Thanks again
hume24

Wul

« Reply #7 on: Saturday 06 December 08 19:59 GMT (UK) »
ELIZABETH JOHNSTONE HERBERTSON:
Baptism: 21/12/1841, Middlebie Dumfriesshire
Census: 1881, Mumbie Canonbie Dumfriesshire Aged 39
Education: 1851, Scholar

Marriage Notes for ARCHIBALD RAE and ELIZABETH HERBERTSON:
Archibald was 22 and Elizabeth was 16 at the time of marriage.  He lived at Tarrasfoot, Canonbie and she lived at Mumbie, Canonbie.  They were married by James Elioch, Justice of Peace and the witnesses were Joseph Wannlyn, Innkeeper and John Little, Hostler.  Marriage registered on 12/02/1858 in Canonbie, registrar Thomas Whitelaw.

Her father Thomas Herbertson, born 08/02/1801 of Dalton Dumfriesshire married Helen Gilbertson born 18/08/1813 in Gretna Dumfriesshire.

My relative, any help?

Offline hume

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 07 December 08 23:26 GMT (UK) »
Hello Wul,

There could be a connection between the two families. I notice Thomas was the son of John Herbertson and Elizabeth Johnstone - have you been able to trace who John's father was?

hume24