Author Topic: Alexander Turnbull library look-up  (Read 3772 times)

Offline jericho

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Alexander Turnbull library look-up
« on: Sunday 30 November 08 07:57 GMT (UK) »
Is any one going to the Alexander Turnbull library who could look-up the following passenger list for the Halcione, it arrived in Wellington sometime in 1873. The people I am looking for are John Glover and his wife Isabella Glover. I would like to know if any children travelled with them and if, there were any other Glover's on board. The family settled in Havelock Marlborough.

I have the following microfiche index

Isabella Glover -    TL 3/1/2, 16 Oct 1974,10 Feb 1975
John Glover  -        TL 3/1/2, 16 Oct 1974,10 Feb 1975,26 Mar 1984

Thanks

jericho
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cmclayton

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Christine M Clayton
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander Turnbull library look-up
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 30 November 08 09:02 GMT (UK) »
BALDOCK.....TICKNER - Sussex & New Zealand.   CATE - Hampshire & New Zealand.   James Henry CLAYTON - Middlesex & New Zealand.   DASSLER / SCHMIDT / TISCH - Germany & New Zealand.   HESTER - London & New Zealand.   MILLS - Gloucestershire & New Zealand.   RYE - Kent & New Zealand.   Samuel THOMAS and daughter Katherine Elizabeth THOMAS - London

Offline jericho

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander Turnbull library look-up (completed)
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 27 December 08 21:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Christine

Thanks for the database, will save it in my favourites, still have some unanswered questions about this family, I think I may have to get printouts of their deaths, even though they are my great grandparents I know nothing about them or their life in New Zealand.

Thanks for your help.

jericho

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 27 December 08 23:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jericho

The Alexander Turnbull Library references, which you quoted above, actually refer to correspondence received  (and responded to) by ATL research staff.    (The "TL" ref: = "Turnbull Letters").

Which means ... that someone, (in the years 1974 /75 and 1984), has made an enquiry to ATL regarding " John and Isabella GLOVER".   :)

EDIT:    Info has now been supplied in a following posting.

Also at "PapersPast" website,  the "Marlborough Express" newspaper is now in "searchable" format  (thanks again to "Althea" for alerting us to that recently), .... so you may be able to find further info there for your GLOVER's ?

Lu

Offline jericho

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 27 December 08 23:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lu

Will check out the information as suggested, hopefully there  is another person out there looking for this family, my grandmother on my mother's side had nothing to do with any of her family, as far as we can tell, for whatever reason, I have my suspicions, but who knows if that is the real reason, would love to make some kind of contact with any Glover descendants, several  years ago I found my Andrews side(same grandmother) same situation, and those living issues didn't  have a clue about my family branch, so the rift goes back a fair way.
Thanks for your help.

jericho  :)

Offline Thamesite2017

• I have turned off all email notifications
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 28 December 08 02:05 GMT (UK) »
So looking at the 1871 ENG census and the database Christine gave:
Their 2 children did accompany them
Mary Jane b 1866 Somerset
John James B 1870 Somerset

Have you followed up on any info for them in NZ, or do you need this  :o
Was John Sen a blacksmith (1881 E roll NElson)
Bye
Althea

Offline Jean Price

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 28 December 08 02:26 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
Alexander Turnbull Library WILL NOT tell you any details of correspondence they have received and replied to.

I know from bitter experience - there is just one reference to a person in my ancestry - and they had an enquiry about 40 years ago. As far as I know I am the only person researching this person and IF only I knew what this other  person's name was/is I could probably break several brick walls.

This is the result (I think) of the NZ Privacy Act.

End of RANT.

Please do go ahead and email them - they are really good at answering emails
- and let us all know the results of your research.

Jean

Edited as reread Lucy2' s reply. Perhaps they have a restriction according to the date.
Fawcett, Down; Gibson, Ayrshire and Tasmania; James, Cornwall and Victoria Aus; Cox, Northamptonshire, Thomas, Gloucestershire; Albury, Berkshire,

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 28 December 08 04:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jean   :)

Thanks for the clarification (yes, I should have considered that before making the suggestion).    Have now amended my earlier posting to eliminate confusion.

Lu