Author Topic: Thomas Tank married in St. Helier  (Read 9226 times)

Offline sdheih

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Tank married in St. Helier
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 12 January 14 18:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi trish1120,
"RICHARD Tank birth: 9 November 1865, 0544, DUBLIN, DUBLIN, IRELAND
Parents RICHARD Tank and Mary LAWRENCE"
This must be correct as it is an actual birth record.
I suspect the date we have of January 01, 1866 was arbitrarily picked due to the time.  The actual date of birth may have been forgotten by whoever was keeping records when moving from Ireland to Jersey to Canada. They probably picked Jan 01, 1866 arbitrarily knowing only that Richard Tank was born around the end of 1865.

Offline mrskaife

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 06 March 14 10:06 GMT (UK) »
Sdheih,

My father was the son of Francis Lawrence TanK 1897-1984. Francis Lawrence was the son of Ellen LeBretton and Richard Tank.

Any more info on that connection would be great. It would seem that your wife and I are related.

Thanks, Paul
mrskaife@aim.com

Offline PSkaife

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 19 April 18 20:27 BST (UK) »
RICHARD Tank birth: 9 November 1865, 0544, DUBLIN, DUBLIN, IRELAND
Parents RICHARD Tank and Mary LAWRENCE
(Source Familysearch.Org)

1911/1891 Census Richard when married to Ellen/Helen is down as a Confectioner

1881 Census
Phoenix House
St Saviour, Jersey, Channel Islands
Clement BISSON, 47, Head, Mar, Carpenter, born Grouville, Jersey, Channel Islands
MARY Bisson, 44, Wife, Mar, born Grouville, Jersey
James A TANK, 18, Step Son, Painter, born Dublin, Ireland
RICHARD Tank, 15, Step Son, Baker, born Dublin, Ireland
+ 2 Visitors

Looks to me that Richard Snr has died and Mary has gone Home to Jersey and remarried.

1901 Census
Clement Besson, 68
Mary Besson, 62
Rhoda Tank, 42
Hilda Tank,   18
Ernest Tank, 15

1871 Mary TANK, born Grouville c 1835, Married, is a Cook in the Morrison Household in St Helier.
1871 James Tank age 8 is Visiting the Deras Family in St Helier

1901 Census Richard and Family are under EANK

Sorry I cant confirm any of the possible Marriages with my resources.

Others on this Board may be able too :)

OK, here goes:

Our family records show a Richard Tank listed as being born January 01, 1866 in Dublin.
My wife confirms that he was the confectioner who was married to Ellen Le Breton.
Ellen (Le Breton) Tank was my wife's great-grandmother, who died in 1967 in Montreal at the age of 103 years.  My wife knew her well.
Maude Tank (b. May 04, 1896) was a daughter of Richard and Ellen Tank. She was my wife's grandmother.  My wife knew her well.
Richard and Ellen Tank had a son Richard Tank (b. June 11, 1892).  He was also a confectioner (in Montreal). Father-to-son thing, right?
The earliest Richard Tank (the Bog Oak Manufacturer?), would have been the eldest of the three Richard Tanks.  It appears that he was married to Mary Lawrence, whose name was also spelled Laurens.
Check the St. Helier Baptism records for various names and dates of Tank baptisms.
Those records have Mary Lawrence spelled Laurens, and Rita Tank (whom my wife also knew well) spelled as Ritea.
It appears that the Tank family originally came from Dublin to St. Helier, then some of them came to Montreal.
The various Tanks referenced above are buried in the Mount Royal Cemetary in Montreal.
Hope this helps.

Ellen (Le Breton) Tank was my great-grandmother. We never met. My grand-father was Francis Lawrence Tank. Any further information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 21 April 18 04:20 BST (UK) »
Hi PSkaife.

Sorry I cant help anymore than I already have. I am not related to the Family.
Hopefully one of the other people will reply but it has been a few years since they have been on Rootschat.

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)