Author Topic: Emigration of Kinross family  (Read 2340 times)

Offline sunni

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Emigration of Kinross family
« on: Thursday 18 August 05 11:40 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help with information relating to the emigration of my grandfather and members of his family from Britain to Australia somewhere between 1905, and 1920? His name was Henry George Kinross, although he was registered at birth as Charles Henry Kinross. His wife was Annie, and he had a daughter called Ethelburga, and may have had other children. He also had several sisters, but the only one who didn't marry as far as I know, was Alice. The other two were called Louisa and Lizzie. Henry may have worked his passage because he was supposedly a marine fireman.  I have a record os him being in Adelaide in South Australia in 1916, and Ethelburga in Albury, New South Wales at that time, but don't know about his wife and other children.  Sunni.

Offline gennig

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Emigration of Kinross family
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 18 August 05 14:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Sunni

Do you have a copy of his service records?
There is a digital copy on the National Archives Website.
www.naa.gov.au

Cheers
Genni
All census look up transcriptions are Crown copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Surnames:
Armstrong, Gray, Greco, Lambden, Le Busque, Beaton, Carron, Pitt, Gould
Areas:
Victoria, Tasmania, Hampshire, Berkshire, Yorkshire, Fermanagh, Glamorgan

Offline sunni

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Emigration of kinross family from Lancashire to Australia
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 20 August 05 05:04 BST (UK) »
Can anyone please help with information re. the emigration of Henry Kinross (Charles Kinross) and various members of his family to australia early in 1900s. May have left from Barrow in Furness or Liverpool,where he lived at different times, but not sure. Sunni.

Offline gennig

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 22 August 05 06:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Sunni

I note that on his enlistment and his 1918 marriage in SA, he is listed as a widower.
As his wife Annie gave birth to a son John in Lancashire in 1911 and he enlisted in 1916.  It would suggest he arrived in oz between that period.

There is no death in SA, VIC or NSW for a Annie KINROSS between 1911 and 1916.
So it would appear she died prior to Henry's arrival in Australia. 

I could not locate a marriage for his daughter Ethelburga in either SA (to 1937), NSW (to 1945) or VIC (to 1942).

Although, I did find SA entries for children from his second marriage to Sarah Elizabeth PHILLIPS nee COOK.

As to the immigration issue, it maybe a matter of going through the shipping lists between 1911 and 1916. 

Unfortunately, he doesn't list a proper address for Ethelburga on his enlistment papers only the township.  Could have checked the Sands & McDougall for that period to see who was living there, may have been a relative.

Cheers
Genni

All census look up transcriptions are Crown copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Surnames:
Armstrong, Gray, Greco, Lambden, Le Busque, Beaton, Carron, Pitt, Gould
Areas:
Victoria, Tasmania, Hampshire, Berkshire, Yorkshire, Fermanagh, Glamorgan

Offline sunni

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 22 August 05 08:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks gennig for your help. I will try to get access to Sands & Mc Dougall for that period around 1916. As for Henry, I don't believe that he was a widower when he married my grandmother even though the marriage certificate indicates that he was. My grandmother Sarah was not a widow either, as far as I know. She was a single mother, and probably took the name of her son's father who we were told died before her son was born. It is true that Annie had a son in Liverpool in 1911, and named Henry as the father, but he may not necessarily have been. I am trying to trace John B. Kinross, the son born in 1916, but so far have not come up with any records in either U.K. or here. Similarly with Annie. I thought that she may have died in the U.K. or been deserted by Henry, and later remarried, but can't prove any thing. It is very frustrating. My mother (Shirley), her brothers,  and my grandmother are all dead, and I am beginning to wonder how much any of them knew. My mother certainly never knew that she had step siblings from a previous marriage of her father's. Incidentally, my grandfather was a bit of a liar. he had two sets of enlistment papers, the first under his real name, and the second using the name Alfred Asplands. His service record is actually under the assumed name. I'll keep digging! Sunni.

Offline Nevin11

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 18 April 17 12:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Sunni,
I have been searching on behalf of a friend (Christine Driscoll) for information on Henry George Kinross and Ethelberger. My friend is a grand-daughter of Henry Kinross living here in South Australia. Maybe we can get the two of you together to trade stories and information.

We have;
He married Annie Kavanagh in Barrow in Furness in 1899, and they had 4 children.
They were Ethelburga, b. 1902, Agnes, b. 1905, Henry, b. 1909, and John, B. 1911.
We also have him in South Australia marrying Sarah Cook and having 2 children here,  Shirley was born in 1922, and her brother Alan was born in 1925.

Cheers,
Nevin

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 18 April 17 13:05 BST (UK) »
Nevin, welcome to RootsChat
Sunni doesn't appear to have been active on RootsChat since 2005, so you may not get a response.
Unless of course her email address that's registered with RC is still active and she gets a notification of your interest.

Good luck!
Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)