Author Topic: Peavoy  (Read 19335 times)

Offline rayharris185

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Peavoy
« on: Saturday 06 December 08 11:37 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone help with my research into the above family - I'm baffled

My geat aunt Kathleen Harris married Charles Pladwill(?) Peavoy in Dorchester, Dorset, England on 24.8.1929. All I had at that stage was his fathers name of James Alfred Peavoy (Dec'sd) from Castletown, Ireland from the marriage certificate.

Further research showed, on the 1901 UK census, Charles age 3 (born Ireland) at Dorchester Army Barracks with his mother Catherine age 34 a widow (British born North America), his sister Caroline age 5 (born Ireland), his brother Ernest age 7 (born Ireland), his aunt Ellen O'Neill age 33 married (born Ireland), and Ellen's daughter Gwendoline age 10 (born Malta).

Ellen & Catherine are shown as sisters so I assume both of their surnames are from their husbands. Ellen is shown as the head of the family which would point to her husband being alive and in the Army at the time.
Larkham, Angel, Harris, Stockley
Hand, Adams, Welch, Lillington, Samways

Offline sapphirerlf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Peavoy
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 07 October 12 14:37 BST (UK) »
Hi - I am new to this site and have just seen your post re James Peavoy. I am also looking for information about him.  I do have some information. He was a Colour Sergeant in the Dorsetshire Regiment and married Catherine Tierney in Bangalore in 1878 so he must have been serving in India at that time. At some point they must have returned to Ireland as several of his children were born in Monabath. I think he might have died in 1899 in Abbeyleix District as I found his name in the Irish Civil Registration Death Indix but can't be absolutelu sure it is the correct person.  Any further information you have found would be very helpful.

sapphirerlf

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 07 October 12 20:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Sapphire and welcome !

Should that be MOUNTRATH a townland in County Laois ?

Castletown is another area just beside Mountrath.

Do you have the name of James' father from his marriage cert ?

There were only a few Peavoy's in Laois in 1901

peavoy laois 1901

and in 1911

peavoy laois 1911

The name Pladwell must mean something to the family as it's a middle name in your family plus  have seen it on a birth on 1903

pladwell peavoy birth

The death in 1899 appears to be a good match, but I suppose you will only know by ordering it

possible james peavoy death cert

Tara

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 07 October 12 20:05 BST (UK) »
BTW

You will need to ask the moderators to move this to the Laois board where you will get more relevant help !

Tara

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 08 October 12 06:01 BST (UK) »

The James Peavoy who died in 1899 was a 52 year old married army pensioner from Castletown.

Offline sapphirerlf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 08 October 12 16:23 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much for your helpful replies.
James Peavoy was born in Mountrath but his children's birthplaces are shown as Monabath or Abbeyleix. James was married in Bangalore, India, when serving in India. I am not sure how to get the marriage certificate.  From his army record I know he served in the Dorsetshire Regiment for 21 years and travelled widely before returning home to Ireland where he died in 1899. His wife and children then returned to Dorset.

sapphirerlf

Offline sapphirerlf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 10 October 12 20:28 BST (UK) »
I have been unable to find any record of James Peavoy's birth although I understand from his Army records that he was born in Mountrath in the Parish of Clonemagh around 1882.  Would anyone be able to help please?

sapphirerlf

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 10 October 12 20:42 BST (UK) »
just six Peavoy births that I see on the BMD Index registered in Ireland between 1880 and 1884 - no sign of James, or any in Co. Laois. Closest would probably the the two in Naas, which is in neighbouring Co. Kildare.

see : Peavoy births

Mountrath is in the civil parish of 'Clonenagh and Clonagheen' and registration district of Mountmellick.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline sapphirerlf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 10 October 12 20:48 BST (UK) »
Thank you Shane.  His birth date should have been about 1847.  Sorry I got muddled with dates.

sapphire