Author Topic: Germany : Rottstein from Otelberg  (Read 4708 times)

Offline nessieinspain

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Germany : Rottstein from Otelberg
« on: Saturday 06 December 08 22:46 GMT (UK) »
Hello all

I am tracing a freinds family but am stuck on

Reuben Rottstein a Tailor  born c.1860 in Otelberg Germany I have him on the 1891 census mistranscribed but definately them as married to an Ada/Adelaide born Limehouse London 1863. They are also on the 1901 census.

I know his son Issac later got in trouble with the police for murder and stood trial at the Old Bailey. (he got 2 months!!)  There was also another incident involving him and his father on record.

I have all of their children etc but the aim is to fine out from Reuben backwards.  Does anyone know how I could go about it?  I have searched the IGI & ancestry but not the world subscription so I'm not sure where else to go.

Thanking you all

Emma in Spain
Williamson, Martin, Wynne, Miller, McLellan, Parker, Colvin, Gibb.

All living in & around Edinburgh as some point!

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Rottstein from Heilberg
« Reply #1 on: Monday 08 December 08 10:11 GMT (UK) »
Hello Emma,

I'm hoping that I can help you (and your friend).

Reuben can only have been Jewish. That forename would not have been used by Christian Germans. I would even guess that his father was called Isaac.

I think I found him in the 1901 census - a 41-year-old tailor living in Limehouse - born in Otelberg however.

I find no mention (so far) of either Heilberg or Otelberg. Can you post snippets from the original census returns to this forum, so that I can read the placename?

Justin

Offline nessieinspain

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Rottstein from Heilberg
« Reply #2 on: Monday 08 December 08 14:17 GMT (UK) »
 ;D Hi Justin,

I have been trying to resize the census but for some reason it wont let me,  I have looked again at it and think you are right it does look like Otelberg  ;)

If you pm me your email I can send you the originals...on my 1901 he is 1st on the list.

We knew they were Jewish & I agree with you given naming traditions it is highly likely Reubens father was another Issac

Thanking you so much for your help

Emma in Spain (Where it's raining)   :'(

Offline Sue Lighten

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Rottstein from Otelberg
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 29 December 10 14:40 GMT (UK) »
Hello Emma
My name is Sue Lighten nee Reuben. I am the great grandaughter of Reuben Rottstein.
Who are you tracing the Rottstein family tree for. Im afraid I can give you little information on my great grandfather Reuben Rottstein.
but would be very interested if you managed to find any information about the family in Germany, although I was told they came from Poland, but do not know if this is true. I look forward to hearing from you although I see your message was put on 2 years ago.
Yours Susan Lighten

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 31 December 10 10:57 GMT (UK) »
Hello Susan,

I had been helping Emma offline. However, we were unable to proceed as nobody could identify Reuben's birthplace.

Does the 1911 census record it in a clearly legible fashion?

Rgds,

Justin

Offline nessieinspain

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 31 December 10 14:03 GMT (UK) »
Hello Susan & Justin  :)

Susan - sadly I no longer have the information on your family as I have passed on the evidence I had gathered to my friend. IF I remember rightly then you & my friend would be cousins. I have called him & left a message for him to get in touch with me as you are definately related.

I live in Spain just down the road from your relation so if you know any who live in Spain then you will be able to work out who I was looking for  ;D

Offline gypsys_genealogy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 22 April 11 04:00 BST (UK) »
Hello
As this was all so long ago, I'm presuming I've missed the boat but I too am researching this line

I have Reuben in the 1891, 1901 & 1911 but cannot find him in the 1881 or earlier

Not knowing when he arrived in the UK, it could be of course that he wasn't in the UK then

By the births of the children, it appears they lived in Gloucestershire twice and the East End in for the main part which would be fairly normal being a Jewish family

I have "some" information on them, not a lot but you're welcome to what I have if it would help you

Cheers

Offline ipfresco

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 31 October 15 09:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Reuben Rottstein is my Great Grandfather on my grandmothers side. I'm wondering if this is a typo (or a writo) and the actual location of Reuben's birth could be Oldenburg. Seems they had some Jews in Oldenburg according to Wikipedia. Reuben was a German subject at the time of the 1901 census.  Well, I'll keep looking around and see what I can find out.

My name is Ian Fresco, living in Sydney Australa

Offline gypsys_genealogy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 29 November 15 13:23 GMT (UK) »
G'day Ian
So sorry that I hadn't replied - had to get a new computer  :'(
I've just looked up Oldenburg - must confess, I read it at Otelburg but you may well be right
May I ask whom your Grandmother is please?  Have you gotten any further than anyone has posted on this site?  I'm well & truly stuck with them!!
I'm still trying to find out when he arrived in the UK - any ideas?
Look forward to hearing from you when you can
Thanks!