Author Topic: Germany : Rottstein from Otelberg  (Read 4710 times)

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Rottstein from Otelberg
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 29 November 15 20:34 GMT (UK) »
Which records shows his birthplace?

Could it read Ortelsburg?

Justin

Offline ipfresco

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 30 November 15 06:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Regarding my grandmother (birth name Rottstein). Her first name was Clara, although it seems from different documents I've found she also went by the name of Clarice. Born around 1894 she married John Fresco (my grandfather on my father's side) in 1917. I remember her as a real East Ender and could speak cockney back slang. Looking at the dates that come up: Reuben was born around 1860 and he writes that he came from Germany several times in the different censuses (written in his own hand in the 1911 census). He married Ada in 1883 in London, but by 1884 they were in Bristol, evidenced by censuses stating the first born Abraham was born there. Interestingly enough Abraham seems to have changed his name to Albert according to the 1911 census. Getting back to Reuben. The only evidence of his birth town that I've found is the mysterious 1901 census where the census taker has written a name that would appear to be "Otelberg". I think the census taker probably wrote down what Reuben had told him as best he could-- as he heard it, and he thought he said Otelberg-- just some Londoner trying to figure out what this German fellow was saying (he described himself as a German Subject on the 1901 census). It seems to me any investigation into Reuben's birthplace must begin with this mysterious Otelberg place. So my best guess is that it's a place that sounds like Otelberg, but certainly in Germany. On the other hand Germany was not a federated state at the time of Reuben's birth, but why would he say that he was born in Germany if he wasn't?

He obviously came to England between 1860 (birth in Germany) and 1883 (marriage in London). I can't find many other Rottstein's in England in the 19th century, so my best guess would be he came to England around 1881 when he would be free (at 21) giving him time to woo Ada and be married 2 years later. All guess work, but seems logical.

All for now.

Ian

Offline ipfresco

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 30 December 15 03:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi. I believe I've cracked the mystery of where Reuben Rottstein came from. The 1901 census plainly reads that he came from "Otelberg Germany" and that he was a "German Subject".
I believe he came from Ortelsburg East Prussia, which in 1871 became part of the German Empire during the  unification of Germany. Reuben would have been 11 years old, and probably moved to England after he was 21-- so he would have been a German Subject for over 10 years when he emigrated! This city is now in Poland and was historically part of Poland-- giving credence to folks saying they heard their ancestors came from Poland.

Offline gypsys_genealogy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Germany : Rottstein from Otelberg
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 16 January 16 05:22 GMT (UK) »
G'day Ian
I met your Grandmother Clara in 1965 I think it was - she was the sister of Albert Snr & I'm from that line (if I have the right Clara that is) as is my Cousin Susan (she posted on her a few years ago) but I've lost contact with her sadly
It would make more sense it being Ortelsburg, Poland but I must admit, I didn't think of it myself.
I cannot find when/where Reuben landed in the UK & like yourself, first evidence I have is Abrahams' birth but he was known as Albert all my life - and I cannot find his birth registered either - do you have it please?
Cheers
Gypsy

Offline ipfresco

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 18 January 16 00:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gypsy, That's really interesting that you met my Grandmother. At that time she was living in the East End on Commercial Rd in a block of flats on the corner of the Wentworth St near Petticoat Lane. I remember when I was little my grandparents lived in Poplar, then moved to Putney, but by the 60s they would have been back in the East End.

I am not able to get any more information than you. I use "familysearch.org" and "myheritage.com" to glean any information I can plus anything else I can scrounge. I think the records are just not there on the internet maybe not anywhere. My dad moved out of the East End after the war, so we didn't get to know many of the relatives there. I imagine to dig any further you'd need to go to the records office in Kew or locally in the East End. Being in Australia I don't have that option.

Anyway, best wishes to you and yours, and let us know if you get any further.

Ian

Offline ipfresco

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 10 July 18 12:22 BST (UK) »
I've got some updated information on Reuben Rottstein or Rothstein.
I have located birth and marriage data from East Prussia from around 1878 which indicate the Rothstein family was living near Ortelsburg (now Szczytno)close to Willenberg (now Wielbark) in a village called Opalenietz (now Opaleniec). In Reuben's day this was the last village in the German Empire before Russia, but now in Poland. I have scans for Rothstein marriages and a birth from the local registrar all in German.

Offline howesfamilies

• RootsChat Extra
  • Founder of the Howes One-Name Study
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 26 October 18 02:12 BST (UK) »
Hello folks.  I stumbled upon your messages while searching the web for your grandfather.  Perhaps I should explain.  I'm leading a team of members of the Guild of One-Name Studies researching the Ruby surname in celebration of the Guild's 40th birthday next year.

We had come across an Isaac Ruby, with wife and child, in the 1911 census.  I won't bore you with all the details of how we tracked him down (I'm writing a blog post about it) but it is perfectly obvious that he was born Isaac Rottstein.  I've been trying to figure out where the family was from and whether he was the only one to have chosen that name.  I think he was.  Do you know whether there has been any contact from his descendants back to the rest of his family?  Just curious.   
Regards
Paul Howes
House, Howes, Hows, Howse and Howze, worldwide

Offline howesfamilies

• RootsChat Extra
  • Founder of the Howes One-Name Study
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 26 October 18 02:25 BST (UK) »
In case you are interested, here's what we think we know about Isaac:
http://ruby.one-name.net/getperson.php?personID=I8980&tree=Ruby
Paul
House, Howes, Hows, Howse and Howze, worldwide

Offline ipfresco

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 26 October 18 10:05 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Regarding Isaac Ruby. I remember something about a great uncle Ike-- I guess the brother of my grandmother Clara Fresco ne Rottstein.
It seems to me a lot of people with foreign sounding names were changing them at the beginning of the 20th century. Isaac's brother seems like he changed his name from Abraham Rottstein to Albert Rottstein between 1901 and 1911. I never heard of anyone else in the family with the surname Ruby. Isaac's dad was Reuben so maybe Ruby is kind of an angliscisation? of Reuben to name his family after his dad's given name. Who knows.
One interesting thing is my uncle's (son of Clara) given name was Ruby. Don't know if that helps. But from my perspective I would guess all these Ruby names are in honour of Reuben Rottstein.
Best wishes,
Ian Fresco