Author Topic: The Glenny Family of Newry.  (Read 8396 times)

Offline Newgent_for_life

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
The Glenny Family of Newry.
« on: Sunday 07 December 08 13:54 GMT (UK) »
David Glenny, meal, flour and grain Merchant of Drogheda, m. at Warrenpoint, Elizabeth McAlister and ob. having had issue;
Samuel Maxwell Glenny, b. 1871, fought in the Boer War. Army no. 9395. Private in 46 Company, 13 battalion, Irish Yeomantry, last heard of living at Herrne bay, m. and ob. having had issue; 2 sons.
Any information of the descendants (if any) and if there is any connection between a Dr. Glenny of Kent.
Newgent_for_life
Arbuckle;Bamford;Fagan;Glenny;Graham;Maxwell; McAlister;Mitchell;Williamson;Wisdom

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: The Glenny Family of Newry.
« Reply #1 on: Monday 08 December 08 22:06 GMT (UK) »
Hello again, I think my guess would be Births Mar 1921   Glenny  David W  Garratt  Blean  2a 1808   Blean is within Herne area I think, Garrett is his mothers name.  Source www.freebmd.org.uk onwards Jim
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 09 December 08 14:39 GMT (UK) »
This is not what you asked for but it may be of use.

Samuel Glenny married Harriet Maxwell on 3 Apr 1852 in St. Mary's Church of Ireland Newry

This is possibly a coincidence.

Ann Glenny or Donaldson married Thomas Maxwell on 19 Feb 1856 in Banbridge.
Fathers were Thomas Maxwell and Thomas Donaldson

I also noticed that there were many Glennys in the Dublin area

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline Newgent_for_life

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 09 December 08 18:57 GMT (UK) »
Hello again, I think my guess would be Births Mar 1921   Glenny  David W  Garratt  Blean  2a 1808   Blean is within Herne area I think, Garrett is his mothers name.  Source www.freebmd.org.uk onwards Jim
Thankyou for this information, Jim. If it turns out to be the connection I'm looking for, and I  think it will,  it will open up a whole new family line for me.

Yours etc.,     Newgent.
Arbuckle;Bamford;Fagan;Glenny;Graham;Maxwell; McAlister;Mitchell;Williamson;Wisdom

Offline Newgent_for_life

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 09 December 08 19:15 GMT (UK) »
This is not what you asked for but it may be of use.

Samuel Glenny married Harriet Maxwell on 3 Apr 1852 in St. Mary's Church of Ireland Newry

This is possibly a coincidence.

Ann Glenny or Donaldson married Thomas Maxwell on 19 Feb 1856 in Banbridge.
Fathers were Thomas Maxwell and Thomas Donaldson.   

Thankyou for this information, kingskerwell. Although this might not be what I'm looking for, coincidences should not be overlooked. The Christian name Maxwell in Samuel Maxwell Glenny's name stems from his great grandfather, Rev. David Maxwell.
Yours, etc.,  Newgent

Offline fermanaghroots

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 05 October 09 22:55 BST (UK) »
This must be the same Samuel Glenny listed in Toxteth Park, Liverpool in 1861.

He was 57, had a wife Hariett (52) and two daughters Annabella (15) and Elizabeth (13).  He also had a servant called Bessie Fayle (28)

He was also listed as being a corn & commission merchant.  Company  name "Samuel Glenny & Co."  which was filed for bankruptcy in 1860.

He donated £1 in 1836 to Newry Poor House.

He owned a townland called Tully, Co Fermanagh, Ireland (Listed in Griffith Valuation 1862).

Can anyone shed any more light on this family, I would like to know how he came to acquire the land in Fermanagh?  Also, how he come to lose it, was it due to the bankruptcy?  There is rumour that the land was used for shooting, was it a hunting lodge?  A building on the land had a date mark of 1774, was this land passed down the Glenny family? So many questions and no answers!!

Offline maryderry

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 07 October 09 00:10 BST (UK) »
samuel glenny father was isaac & harriets father was john.

regards mary.
doolin?
quigley- hasson. stewart. lynch. doherty gallagher-derry
mclaughlin-  brennan .moville co. donegal
mctaggart
monaghan

Offline Newgent_for_life

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 07 October 09 12:30 BST (UK) »
My Dear Maryderry,
I am deeply indebted to you for finding this information for me that was sent by pm. The only reason I'm replying by posting is that it may help my ranking, which has been dormant for some time.
I have known of the address of David Glenny at North Road, Drogheda but never knew that his son Samuel M. Glenny returned to Ireland and Laburnum Turret, Drogheda.

Yours sincerely,

Newgent.

Offline Newgent_for_life

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 07 January 13 08:57 GMT (UK) »
Ref: Samuel Maxwell Glenny.

More information found in http://www.unithistories.com/officers/RN_officersG2.html and http://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FBP4-TWT

Samuel Maxwell Glenny m. (maiden name,) Garratt, Registration District: Thomastown, Quarter and year: Jan-March 1904., issue son,

John Edward Maxwell Glenny, b. Registration District, Thomastown, Kilkenny, Thomastown, Ireland. 10.09.1908, Naval Career; Seaman 1933........Commodore 1957. m. 1934, Blean District, Kent, Sheila Olivia Garland ( 24.10.1912-10.1988. issue; one son, one daughter?

Any more information would be appreciated, Etc., Newgent.