Author Topic: Link: Index of Wills and Probate 1841 - 1925 Victoria Archives  (Read 19913 times)

Offline sarra

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: OnLine from ProVic Probate index1841-1925
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 14 December 08 22:38 GMT (UK) »
Hope it's not too long before it's  back Online - I think it will be a great help to a lot of people.

I did manage to download one Will last week - before it was taken off.

It did take quite a long time to download - however it was worth the wait.

Sarra :)

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 14 December 08 22:49 GMT (UK) »
I have once again phoned PROV....there has been a problem with their whole website all weekend and they are working on it now.  I was informed the Wills and Probate Index has been taken down....as advised on their website....nothing to do with this current problem.    They have no idea at this stage, when the website will be up and running.

My understanding is you have been able to download wills for sometime now....if you had the Index number and the will had been digitised.   The new Index database removal  should not prevent you downloading digitised wills. Hope I've got that right :)

Cheers
Cando

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Adrianne

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 16 December 08 06:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi

The index is back up and running,  :) but it seems that the link to the images is down :( I get a 'cannot display webpage' screen
Australia- Morris Hicks
Lancashire- Chalmers Lingard Hawkesworth Callan
Kent- Godden Wildish
Cornwall- Hicks
Devon- Baker
Lanarkshire- Allan Finlayson Hamilton Hendry Ingram Reid Scott Semple Stark Thomson Watson Wilson
Renfrewshire- Dryburn Harley Nisbet Pratt Dunlop
Dumfriesshire- Henderson Wright
Argyll- Campbell McLean
Caithness- Cameron
Angus- Tasker
Ayrshire- Torrance Wallace Kennedy
Perthshire- Hendry Duncan McIntosh Chalmers
Ireland- Dunlop Harley Edgar McCallum Bond Entwistle

Offline mbiggar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 24 December 08 03:01 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the information and link, Jenn.  Christmas came early at our house!  I found the probate and will that proves the death of my great great grandfather, William Gelston, and also seems to prove the family story that he entrusted the care of his two children to a family friend, who then took the money from the will and farmed off the children to different families! Very interesting.  Thank you and Merry Christmas!

Monica
Godden/Godding Gallop from Sussex to Australia; Gelston from Ireland to Australia; Biggar from Scotland to Canada; Green from Ireland to Canada; Hodgkinson from Sheffield to Canada; Others in Australia - Powell, Doran, Pike, Ferriday, Bourke, Rumble, Whisler; Others in Canada - Bigham, Orr, Fairlie, McKay, McPhail, Kauffman

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 24 December 08 03:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Monica,
That's terrible.
They never knew that down the years we would know how badly they behaved!

I am interestred in your avatar/photo and I hope you won't mind me asking about it.

I have one of my grandmother as a young woman and there are strong similarities in the setting style, clothes and hair.  I,m wondering whether yours was also taken about 1910 and in Australia [mine is here in Melbourne]
My picture is outside in the regular house garden one woman is seated and one stands.  They have lovely white lacy dresses and their hair up like your woman.
  There is just something in the mood which much the same.

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mbiggar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 24 December 08 04:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sue,

The woman in the photo is my grandmother, Ivy Mary Powell, who married my grandfather, William Thomas Gelston, in 1907 In Tasmania.  We believe the photo is a wedding photo, probably taken at home. I imagine it was taken in the style at the time. The pose is a bit unusual, compared to other time periods.  There's probably a royal person of that time who posed in such a way and started a trend!

William was one of the two orphaned children mentioned in the will.  Ivy had also lost her parents at a young age and was raised by a relative's family. She was fortunate that she was raised in a very loving household, as if she were one of their own children. She and her siblings were also separated and raised by different families, and in different towns, so I imagine it was considered acceptable at the time. In her case, after her mother died, the father abandoned his children and moved away to find work. Hard to understand how someone could leave 3 children like that, but he probably thought it was for the best.

Cheers.

Monica
Godden/Godding Gallop from Sussex to Australia; Gelston from Ireland to Australia; Biggar from Scotland to Canada; Green from Ireland to Canada; Hodgkinson from Sheffield to Canada; Others in Australia - Powell, Doran, Pike, Ferriday, Bourke, Rumble, Whisler; Others in Canada - Bigham, Orr, Fairlie, McKay, McPhail, Kauffman

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 24 December 08 05:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
What an interesting family tale.
You certainly have a lot of complexities to unravel.

Thanks for the details on the photo.  I agree with you about the style of the time.
Mine too shows the subjet gazing wistfully into another direction and like yours, with a draped sort of arm which she seems to have forgotten about ;)
Sue

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mbiggar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 24 December 08 06:06 GMT (UK) »
Your comments about the photos got me thinking about who might be famous enough to have started a trend in wedding poses.  There are photos on a website with info on Queen Mary (wife George V 1893) from the late 1890s and early 1900s that show a similar pose in repose by several royal brides of that time period:
http://entertainment.webshots.com/photo/2819766000094285158XVInnj
http://entertainment.webshots.com/photo/2574462120094285158WWOGjO
http://entertainment.webshots.com/photo/2873905180094285158QkvKJD
Our ancestors were obviously trying to be very fashionable in their poses!

Monica

Offline claireandsi

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 24 December 08 07:51 GMT (UK) »
Thanks so much for the link - I was able to download 2 digitized wills and one of them has solved a minor puzzle straight away. 

Claire  :)