Author Topic: Do you recognise this house? The Limes Porthill  (Read 23583 times)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Do you recognise this house? The Limes Porthill
« Reply #72 on: Tuesday 03 March 15 23:20 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat Paul.

A very poignant story. Seeing the destruction of that beautiful house breaks my heart.  :'(

I can't explain it, but for some reason that house and this thread are regularly in my thoughts - there is just something about it which has resonated with me - it has real soul.

I was only thinking about the original photos of this house a week or so ago unrelated to anything. ::)

I so envy you your time in this house.

Offline Cavyn Holdway

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Tuesday 21 March 17 14:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Just stumbled across this page ,i lived in a flat in 1982- sh and was the last to live there before it was demolished   (it was split into flats in the late 70's early 80's i believe) looking at the house from the front i had the top right flat , i believe it was the servant living area in the old days, the house belonged to a guy named MR King i believe he lived in Sutherland road or drive in the westlands , just before i left i believe he issued none payment eviction orders to the people still living there so he could sell to the developers,i used to attempt to pay him my rent but was allways told pay me next week now i know why lol , anyway i did have access to the rest of the house and it still maintained a lot of the original wood panelling and tiles etc throughout the building  also the kitchen where like going back in time , the bathroom in my flat was old blue and white tiles that where rely old

Cav   

Offline linmey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Propping up a Saxon shore fort!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Tuesday 21 March 17 19:36 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Cavyn. That's fascinating. Such a shame it was demolished.

Lin
Reynolds, Woodham, Payne, Wilmott, Hart, Richardson, Packwood, Tandy, Dexter - Bedfordshire.
Chamberlain and Wagstaff- Hunts.
Freeman, Cheney, Cox- Northants.
Burns, Muter, Cobban, Hossack, Strachan, Moonlight.
Lanarkshire, Ross and Cromarty and Kincardineshire.
Garvey- Ireland.

Census Information Is Crown Copyright From--
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Wednesday 22 March 17 04:14 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat Cav. Thank you for telling us what you remember about the house. It sounds lovely. So sad it is gone .... :'(

Offline Valeite

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Thursday 23 December 21 21:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,

I came across this post by accident searching for photos of Burslem and the post war potteries.

I spent most of my childhood in that house from mid '60's up until 1980.

It was typical of houses in First and Second Avenue, mansions really, inhabited by the wealthy of the day.

When I knew it it had already been converted into flats of varying sizes, the two largest 1&2 occupying most of the two floors you can see from the photos of the front elevation of the house. Other smaller flats 3,4,5 were formed from the block that extended to the rear of the right hand side elevation, past the formal garden. There was a carriage block (2 more flats) that was to the rear of the main house, found by following the drive round to the left, and there were garages/workshops there also.

Further back still, there was yet more land holding an orchard and as the land fell away down the bank to another drive and separate garage. It is this drive that is shown in the photo, but there were two others.

The main drive was reached by turning from First Avenue into the front corner of the plot and wound it's way up to the front of the house before working round to the stable block at the rear. The middle driveway led up to yet another garage/workshop directly from the Avenue and bordering the formal garden. There may have been some other working structures between the two further driveways, and to the rear of the property at some point, but only the foundations remained.

How much land the estate held in the past I don't know but it was still substantial when we rented there. To the Avenue was a long wall of the material shown in the photo, big limestone dressed blocks (hundreds of them), and each entry had large capped pillars as shown which framed large metal gates.

The houses of this period were designed to accommodate the 'family' and a sizeable 'staff', and you could easily tell from from the aspect of the room which part of the establishment it had belonged to. Converting to flats had jumbled them up so you had a mix of each, particularly in flats 1&2 which had the main family rooms.

Entering the large front door there was a tiled hall with high ceilings, reception rooms left and right, the big windows you can see. The one to the right had the wood panelling referenced earlier (I think it was oak) with a large fireplace. This was mirrored to the left without the panelling, and above these were the family rooms on a similar scale. These would have been reached by an impressive staircase, but because of the conversion only the top part was accessible from Flat 2, the lower level flights had been removed to the now Flat 1.

The further back you went into the property the more you moved into the staff quarters, including the kitchen on the ground floor (Flat 1) which overlooked the stable blocks and kitchen gardens at the rear. I think the AGA may have been vintage :)

It must have been something to see in it's heyday, but was typical of houses of the time that are (were) jotted about Porthill, Wolstanton and Newcastle, the Brampton for instance and Second Avenue had a number of similar houses as mentioned.

Facing away from the front door was a large lawn and grounds, that may have been larger at some point but even then were substantial and full of mature trees, including some very large lime trees. Put it this way, it was a reasonable jog around the perimeter. There was also an empty piece of ground on the same scale directly adjacent to the property, between it and second avenue, whether it was or had been part of the estate who knows, paddocks maybe.

Looking back I don't think we realised what a strange place it was, a bit chilly and damp but then we were kids and ran riot in all that space. Extraordinary really.

My elder brother Jonathan Westlake still lectures at Staffordshire University, so for further details seek him out online.

Roger

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Thursday 23 December 21 23:16 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat Valeite.  :)

Oddly enough I was thinking about this house a couple of days ago. It just popped into my head for some reason, so it is serendipitous that you should add your memories to the thread. It must have been amazing to live in such a place despite it having been “butchered” to some extent. The old bones would have been there and even as a child you seem to have had a sense of it’s past grandeur.

A wonderful house - it must have been amazing to live there. It still saddens me to think about it’s sad demise.

Offline Phil.C

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Sunday 30 January 22 09:52 GMT (UK) »
I lived at "The Limes" between 1986 to 1987, it was pretty run down by then but there were around 7 of us living in the main house which was sectioned into 3 parts and another living in the house at the rear, which I presume was once servants quarters. It was still quite grand though, especially the main staircase and the long driveway leading you up to the front of the house which still looked impressive. I have fond memories of my stay there, which led me to find this link.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Sunday 30 January 22 10:38 GMT (UK) »
Welcome Phil!  :) This thread seems to have fizzled out somewhat, but nice that you have found it nevertheless, and thank you for your memories of living in this beautiful house.