Author Topic: blakemore - snailbeach  (Read 3891 times)

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: blakemore - snailbeach
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 16 January 16 22:04 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I have just come across your posts.
 My maternal grandmother was a Blakemore residing at the Coppice Snailbeach.
Her parents were David and Mary (nee Maddox)she had four brothers, William, John, David and Alfred.She had a sister Annie who married Tom Oldfield ,son of Captain Oldfield the mine manager.
If I can be of any help please let me know.I have a family photograph of the above mentioned people.
 My grandmother was Mary born 1866. she went to Manchester as a servant and married there in 1896. She died !916.
 I lived in Snailbeach all through the war so know it well.Viktoria.

Offline newcastle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 17 January 16 10:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Yes all part of the same family, I have the photo, provided by Marcia who also was at Snailbeach  during the war.

I am the great grandson of David.

John

Offline Alberbury

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Salop Adams,Backhouse,Bailey,Carter,Cartwright,Chambre,Chettoe,Cooper,Fewtrell,Gardner,Greenhouse,Gwilliam, Humphrey,Jenks,Morrey,Otherton,Parry,Pickerall,Powell,Pugh,Reeves,Reynolds,Roberts,Rogers,Salter, Whittakers,Worrall,Wright,Yale

Mont. Davies,Edwards,Hughes,Lewis,Maddox,Mapp,Pritchard
Almeley Prichard
Battersea Young
Brechin Allan,Barrie,Duthie,Hardie,Mathewson,Mitchell,Strachan,Thomson,Valentine,Watt
Chelsea Coates,Smith
Emneth Bennington
Wisbech Bell,Briggs,Willcock

Offline Alberbury

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 17 January 16 14:06 GMT (UK) »
https://familysearch.org

William Blakemore
England Marriages, 1538–1973
marriage:   24 October 1815   Pontesbury, Shropshire, England   
spouse:   Frances Hughes

http://www.melocki.org.uk/salop/Pontesbury.html       marriage misses
Salop Adams,Backhouse,Bailey,Carter,Cartwright,Chambre,Chettoe,Cooper,Fewtrell,Gardner,Greenhouse,Gwilliam, Humphrey,Jenks,Morrey,Otherton,Parry,Pickerall,Powell,Pugh,Reeves,Reynolds,Roberts,Rogers,Salter, Whittakers,Worrall,Wright,Yale

Mont. Davies,Edwards,Hughes,Lewis,Maddox,Mapp,Pritchard
Almeley Prichard
Battersea Young
Brechin Allan,Barrie,Duthie,Hardie,Mathewson,Mitchell,Strachan,Thomson,Valentine,Watt
Chelsea Coates,Smith
Emneth Bennington
Wisbech Bell,Briggs,Willcock

Offline David1988

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 02 November 20 10:26 GMT (UK) »
My great-grandfather George Blakemore's cousins were Dora and Gertrude Blakemore.

Gertrude married David Oldfield, whose mother was Annie Elizabeth Blakemore, who I believe was the sister of your maternal grandmother?

I wondered whether you knew if there was any relation between "my" Blakemores, i.e. Dora, Gertrude etc and "your" Blakemores, i.e. Annie etc?

It would be particularly interesting for me to find out, as it would mean that Gertrude and David's children would be doubley  related to me :)

It seems unlikely that there is no relation, given the same name and same town etc, BUT I cannot find a link so far.

I wondered if you might be privvy to any knowledge about any possible relation, and if so, would be so grateful if you might please share?

Hope to hear from you soon,

Stay safe,

David
(Mother's maiden name was Blakemore)

Hello, I have just come across your posts.
 My maternal grandmother was a Blakemore residing at the Coppice Snailbeach.
Her parents were David and Mary (nee Maddox)she had four brothers, William, John, David and Alfred.She had a sister Annie who married Tom Oldfield ,son of Captain Oldfield the mine manager.
If I can be of any help please let me know.I have a family photograph of the above mentioned people.
 My grandmother was Mary born 1866. she went to Manchester as a servant and married there in 1896. She died !916.
 I lived in Snailbeach all through the war so know it well.Viktoria.

Offline newcastle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 02 November 20 19:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi David
The Annie, born 1987, sister of my maternal grandmother has the additional name of Harriat not Elizabeth? Her parents Fredrick and Louisa Clift.
I have contacted a relative who knows more about Snailbeach to see if she can help. Will be in touch.

John

Offline newcastle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 04 November 20 09:33 GMT (UK) »
David
I have more comments from my relative.
Annie  Oldfield nee  Blakemore Was my  GGrandfsther’s sister.
The query is to find out if Fred Blakemore ( not   Ada’s  father ) the Blacksmith at CrowsNest and whose daughter Gertrude married  the  nephew of my ggrandfather  David Blakemore — David Oldfield .

The enquirer is trying to find if Fred the blacksmith is of our family too.

Are we looking at the same people?

John

Offline David1988

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 04 November 20 11:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi John,

Thanks for your messages. Fred (father of Gertrude) was my great grandfather's brother.

My Mum has fond memories of visiting Gertrude and David, as well as her sister Dora and husband as a child (afternoon tea, feeding the chickens etc!)

I can't find any link between "your" Blakemores i.e. David Oldfield's Mum Annie (your great grandfather's sister) and "my" Blakemores i.e. Gertrude, her father Fred etc.

Do you know if there is one?

I have compared the two trees (as best I know them) and can't find a link, but perhaps I am missing someone OR it's way back (1700's) where both trees dry up?

I find it unlikely that there is NO connection given they have the same surname and are in the same town etc BUT it's not impossible, I suppose...

I just wish we had a time machine and could go back and find the answers! :')