Author Topic: Parker the roving mariner . Census request 1861  (Read 9921 times)

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Two words that can change the world "Thank You"
    • View Profile
Re: Parker the roving mariner . Census request 1861
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 03 February 15 01:47 GMT (UK) »

As it happens we went into the Park Inn after the cemetery (My dad’s old local in the 60s) for a drink, and to our surprise a photo of Freda’s husband Jack Williams still remains of the wall!

Hi,

Did you know your G Great uncle  was once the landlord of the Park ? George's  brother John ( David John Williams), Well his wife Margaret was the" boss" not David.  He married her when she was the landlady ( she was widowed) , she was a lot older than him ( They never had children).
He met his death by drowning, George and his brother found him - http://papuraunewyddcymru.llgc.org.uk/en/page/view/3346340/ART111
John is in the Park Inn in the 1901 census under David  J Williams ( he went by his middle name of John for many other things-probably because of his father's name , two David's).

Yes, I have traced some of George's (and his father David) siblings , the one that I'm currently stuck on is Harry Williams ( Henry Williams), who also attended his father David's funeral - There is a Harry Williams on the war memorial in Mumbles , that nobody seems to be able to 100% identify - I think it is George's brother Harry who died, as our Harry just goes missing.

Harry  in a newspaper article below (ouch, Marble lodged under the eye). He obviously survived  because he was at his father's funeral and two were in the army at that time of David's death http://papuraunewyddcymru.llgc.org.uk/en/page/view/3351399/ART35/williams%20mumbles

I have David's Funeral (two articles) http://papuraunewyddcymru.llgc.org.uk/en/page/view/4114938/ART75/a%20native%20of%20mumbles)
http://papuraunewyddcymru.llgc.org.uk/en/page/view/4100408/ART57

There are a few other's with George, and there is one of David as a witness - if you search on the terms  "Mumbles Williams", it's just a matter of ploughing through the countless articles to see if it's one of ours as their search engine is terrible.

I don't know if I told you in the past that George was a member of the Oddfellows. It was only by chance that we found out; When we back home on one of our trips , Hubby's mother pulled out an Oddfellows medal  that was in a presentation box and said to hubby "Would you like this? It's your grandfather's medal". Hubby took it out of the box and turned it over . There on the back of the medal engraved into it was "presented to PG George Williams" for services as Lecture Master   it belonged to George not Fred ! ;D -  And there's hubby's mother thinking it was Fred's, she had never taken it out of the box and turned it over ::)!
It was awarded to him  for Public speaking.
(If you search the Welsh papers at the above site, you'll come across a few articles with George)

Hubby refused to take the medal  and said that his mum should hang on to it and keep it safe. I have photo's of it, I took a picture of both sides of it - have I sent a copy  to you?

Private message me your email address and I'll send you the photo's of it . I know I have your email somewhere, but where I don't know ( probably off  hiding somewhere with Elizabeth parker)
I'd love a photo of Freda's and Jack's grave thank you. (mum-in-law goes up to the cemetery often to attend to her parents grave, but she doesn't own a camera for some odd reason - she doesn't want one either)

My files are really all over the place - I've got to get my head  back in the "Williams" thinking mode, so to speak. I started working on them again a couple months ago for a period of time, filling in gaps - what they did etc. Then I gave them another break as they were giving me a headache ( lots of Williams with same names each generation - the family tend to give me headaches after a while ;D )

Yes John Parker was a member of the lifeboat. I've tried for many years to trace that further, hoping somewhere  there is a photo of him and more information about his time in the crew there. ( I even contacted someone  a few years ago who is in today's Mumbles lifeboats who has the surname to ask him he was connected to John Parker , but sadly he was not connected. His own Parker family had moved into the area in more recent times)

Fred would have just about remembered John. I wish I'd known about John before Fred died to ask him about John. I have the book "he story of th emumbles lifeboat station since 1832" - the only mention of him in the book is  exactly is what is on the internet, a list of the crew that he's in.

I also have the out of print book The Mumbles past and present. Norman L Thomas , printed in 1978,Which was an interesting read . If  you can get your hands on a copy it's well worth the read everything from the Oyster dredging to the war, to the families that lived there. I'll have to go through it again as it's a long time since I've read it and may have missed somebody that's  in the family.

Kind Regards

Ps Have you seen this article? http://www.oystermouthparish.com/grafton-maggs-recalls-the-mumbles-marconis  It's not our Fred (your grandmother's brother)  of Gloucester place ,, it also not their uncle Fred of Gloucester place (George's brother) ,  but I think it may be  Fred's (and your grandmother's) cousin Fred of Gloucester place - I think I'm getting another headache ;D, They should have just named the whole place Williams Town
Census information in my posts are crown copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.u