Author Topic: Richard Bithell  (Read 26134 times)

Offline fbsearcher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Bithell
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 15 January 06 19:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Linda,

Many thanks for the info re John McHugh.  I have been in touch with him from time to time and I am in fact trying to take his work a little further.  He has recently found a Richard Bithell on the 1851 census, age 53, married, Fisherman, born Chester.  He is a prisoner in Portland Convict Prison, Dorset.  Perhaps I have a black sheep in my family!  I’ll be posting in another thread a question about how to track his crime, etc.

In the 1861 and 1871 censuses I have found a Mary Bithell, married, living alone.  She is aged 57 and 66 respectively, giving a birth year of 1804/5.  Just about OK for a marriage in 1820.  It would be good to find her in 1851.

I was unable to find a birth in the Chester parish records for a Richard Bithell in the period 1793-1809.  I therefore need to test the possibility that Richard and Mary (Jones) moved from Hawarden to Chester, between their marriage in May 1820 and William’s birth in October 1821.  It is not far, especially by boat.  Do you have any suggestions for local records such as Fishing licences or River permits?  Where are old newspapers held?

Any other thoughts on where to look next will be most welcome.

Frank
Bithell

Offline Swanida

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 16 March 10 06:05 GMT (UK) »
Hello Frank, It has been about 4 years when we communicated last. You asked me about your William Bithell. I have found some info saying he really is the son of Richard Bithell born in 1796. Maybe you have found it also by now.

Best regards,

Linda

The info I found was the Bithell Family Narrative. Richard Bithell born in 1796 was born in Saltney, Flintshire, Wales.

Offline Huwcyn

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 17 March 10 17:48 GMT (UK) »
I've recently seen a family tree from Flintshire containing a lot of references to a family with the surname 'Bissel' (or some variation) . The family were descended from someone called 'Ap Ithel', being a Welsh noble family  - Bithell would seem an obvious Anglicisation of that . I'm afraid I cannot remember where exactly I saw the tree - but it was certainly Flintshire.
Owen , Parry , Pritchard, Foulkes  o Llanddeiniolen
Jones, Bellis o Sir Fflint
Williams o Beaumaris
Chambers o Dulyn
Rowlands o Tywyn

Offline Swanida

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 17 March 10 21:32 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your reply. I believe Ap or Ab means son of. I think Bithell means son of Ithell.

Linda

Offline Moggy9

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 20 March 10 17:15 GMT (UK) »
Dear Linda
I noticed your mail to frank about William Bithell son of Richard Bithell/Mary Jones.
I am also interested in this line, as William, if you have any further information about William's siblings (if any) and forebears beyond Richard Bithell/Mary Carne

Kind regards
john

Offline Swanida

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 27 March 10 21:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi John,
 I found a document called Bithell Family Narrative on Google. It has some pretty good history on your William and his parents Richard Bithell and Mary Jones. I think it says in the narrative that Richard stated that he had a wife and a child before he went to jail for stealing pig iron. So I think that William is an only child. Richard was born in 1796. His parents are Richard Bithell 1768 and Mary Carne 1766. The parents of this Richard are John Bythell 1731, born in Moore, Flintshire, Wales and Mary Williams 1733, born in Landilo, Carmarthen, Wales. I don't have the parents of Mary Carne. The parents of John are Richard Bithell 1717, born in Harwarden, Flintshire, Wales and Mary Pierce 23 Oct 1721, born in Harwarden, F, Wales. The parents of Mary Williams are Lewis Williams abt 1707, born in Landilo, C, Wales. Her mother's name was Elinore abt 1711 also born in Landilo. That is as far back as I know. I hope all the Richards and Marys don't confuse you too much.
Best Regards,

Linda

Offline Moggy9

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 28 March 10 09:41 BST (UK) »
Dear Linda
Thank you very much. Yes the BFN has been very useful - my link comes through William's son John and his wife Kate E.

Thank you for the information about the and grandparents of parents of Richard Bithell 1768. I had John 1731, but not the details of his and his wife's parents. Just on query though, if john was born 1731, aren't the dates for his parents Ricard 1717 and Mary 1721 too late - she'd only be 10 in 1731? Or have I misconstrued your meaning?

Do these records come from Hawarden registry?
I really appreciate your help - thanks again
John

Offline Swanida

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 14 April 10 01:03 BST (UK) »
Hi John,

Frank says he wrote the Bithell Family Narrative, so I'm not sure if William is the son of Richard Bithell and Mary Jones. ???

Offline Swanida

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 20 April 10 06:36 BST (UK) »
John,

Those dates are impossible. I hadn't noticed that before. Those dates came from the IGI. I have a marriage date for Mary Pierce in 1723. That doesn't fit either. Maybe John was born in 1741. I don't know.

Linda