Author Topic: Richard Bithell  (Read 26235 times)

Offline Swanida

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Bithell
« Reply #18 on: Monday 14 June 10 05:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Frank,

I saw a website called Tasmanian Convicts Index- "B" Surnames. There is a Richard Bithell on the list. Are you familiar with this?

Regards,

Linda

Offline fbsearcher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 15 August 10 14:52 BST (UK) »
Hello Linda and John,

I've just been reading through this thread and can add the following comments, in the hope that they will be helpful.

I do have copies of the Convict documents from Tasmania.  I believe that the death record of Richard Bethel in 1862 is in fact the Richard Bithell who arrived there as a convict in 1853.  Unfortunately, there is not enough information to tie them together fully.

The same problem occurs when linking Richard Bithell who married Mary Jones in Hawarden in 1820 to the Richard Bithill shown as the father of William in the parish register in Chester in 1821.  So far I cannot find a documented link, and have eventually come to the conclusion that they must be the same person (if only because I cannot find any other Bithells to fit).  When I visited the area to go to the record offices it is very clear that it is a fairly short journey (by road or by river) from Hawarden to Chester.  There is also interesting support from the fact that the witnesses at the marriage of Richard and Mary in Hawarden in 1820 included Richard Jenkins, and when he in turn was married in Chester in St. John's parish on June 23rd 1821, to a Mary Bithell, a witness was Richard Bithell (he had a sister named Mary, born 1799).  It gives me the feeling that they had all moved to Chester, where William was baptised in October 1821.

Similarly, there is no clear documentary link between Richard Bithell, father of William in 1821, and Richard Bithell found guilty of twice stealing pig iron in 1848 and 1850.  The absence of others of that name and age encourages the theory that they are the same person.  The convict also stated that he had one child and I have not been able to find any siblings for William.

I wrote the Bithell Family Narrative in order to get the chronology clear in my head, and then decided to publish it in the hope that others who were interested in this line would be able to confirm, or to destroy, these "iffy" connections.  I'm therefore delighted to find that there are others looking at this thread and I hope that eventually more evidence will be uncovered.  Keeping this thread alive will be a good point of focus.

Looking forward to any responses.

Frank   
Bithell

Offline Moggy9

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 22 August 10 11:17 BST (UK) »
Frank

Thanks for your reply and the work you've done on BFN. I think the links you have identified below are very plausible if not proven definitively.

I don't have any further information at this stage on c19 references, but
I am also interested in the children and descendants of William Henry Bithell son of John Bithell and Kate E. Clark. My great grandmother is William Henry's daughter Gertrude b1913, and I believe there were 5 other siblings including William Henry jr,b. c. 1900 Arthur 1905-1949, John Eric b 1909, Leonard b 1917 and Thomas Cecil b ? 1903. I have some information on some of their families, but if you have anything I'd be pleased to share and compare.

John

Offline fbsearcher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 23 August 10 12:26 BST (UK) »
Hello John,
Thanks for your kind words.

Have you seen this site:

http://genforum.genealogy.com/bithell/

I think I remember that you will find some of the posts there (especially from Pamela) are very relevent to the line you mention.

I am not yet aiming to broaden my searches into those further parts of my tree, but if/when I do I shall come back to you.

Regards

Frank
Bithell

Offline Moggy9

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 23 August 10 13:33 BST (UK) »
Thanks again Frank. I have been in touch with a few of the contributors, but hadn't seen the thread before.
Good luck with your further research.
John

Offline Swanida

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 06 November 10 19:50 GMT (UK) »
Hello Frank,

It sounds like you are doing some very good research. What you say sounds reasonable. I live in the USA so you are closer to the area where this all happened. Keep up the good work. If I come across any information I will let you know.

Regards,

Linda

Offline Swanida

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 09 February 12 19:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi John,
 I found an entry in the Hawarden Parish Register that says Richard Bithell and Mary Pierce were married on 23 October 1723. So it must be the birth dates that are wrong.

Regards,
Linda

Offline JeannieR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me with eldest grandson Nick, now 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 16 February 12 13:31 GMT (UK) »
Hello Everybody

I do not know if it is of any help in your research, but when..........

Richard BITHELL, married Mary JONES May 22nd 1820 at Hawarden

He was stated to be a Fishmonger , and a Batchelor of Sealand, and of full age, so I don't think he was the widower of Mary CARNE.....

Mary CARNE, was also transcibed as CARR on the baptism of a son John BITHELL May 24th 1793
and Mary BITHELL March 6th 1799

~~~~~~~~--------------------------------

If Richard Bithell married in 1723, he must have been at least 18. I have the baptism registers for Hawarden 1697-1717, and neither he , nor Mary Pierce appear. I have used all versions of their surnames

Their marriage is there in 1723
~~~~~~~~--------------------------------
There is a Richard BITHELL age 40 , living at "Gorst Stacks" St Oswalds, Chester on the 1841 census. He states he is a Flatman, and born in the county. He is with a 30 year old Ester Morgan, independent, also born in County. I feel that this is William, born 1821 father, as per marriage certificate.......

Don't forget that ages were +/- 5 years in this census
This information is Crown Copyright, from www.national archives.gov.uk

Offline Swanida

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 19 April 12 18:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Jeannie,
 The Richard Bithell,born in 1796, who married Mary Jones in 1820, is the son of Mary Carne. His father's name was also Richard Bithell, born in 1768.
 Thank you for your help.