Author Topic: Edward Staunton: COMPLETED  (Read 5657 times)

Offline Malcolm173

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Edward Staunton: COMPLETED
« Reply #9 on: Monday 12 June 17 16:51 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for the links you’ve posted and the extracts of information.  It's been 8 years since the last posting so it's a bit of a surprise to see these - and thanks to Sinann for alerting me in a personal message.  Taking each in turn:

Kalilileth: Yes, thanks – this is my grandfather Edward Bertram Staunton and his family in the 1911 census.  His mother had remarried (but was now widowed), and her name was now Jane Parker.  Her first husband, Edward Patrick Staunton, died of smallpox on 19th September 1878, two years after they were married.  Their son, my grandfather, was born in 1877 and his sister Mary Frances was born three months after her father died.  Jane Staunton had married Dr Francis Parker in September 1883 in Dublin (see Sinann’s link). 

One of Jjtjr’s records is of Edward Bertram’s marriage and one correctly provides information about Edward Bertram Staunton’s death in 1878 – I have a copy of his death certificate to confirm this.  The other one listed for 1884 must be somebody else (a bit of a coincidence though as the age given is the same!) or else is an error in this record.

Sinann also provides links to Dr Francis Parker’s death, which was on 20th March 1896 in Galway.  Dr Francis and Jane Parker had two children – John Aloysius Parker born 10th February 1885 at Dominick Street, Galway and Francis Joseph Stanislaus Parker, born 15th June 1887 at the same address.

Dathai’s link is to the birth record of my uncle Cyril in 1908.  He was the second of eight children born to Edward Bertram Staunton and his wife Julia (née O’Loughlin).  My father, Gerard Joseph Staunton, was the youngest, born in 1925.

In case anyone is looking for links to this O’Loughlin family, Julia’s parents were Michael John O’Loughlin and Rose Anne Quigley.  They were married on 9th April 1872 in Londonderry.

Sinann provides information on the birth records of Edward Bertram Staunton in 1877 and Mary Frances Staunton in 1878, in which the record for Mary states that she was dead.  Perhaps, as Sinann suggests, this was only posted much later once she had died.  She certainly didn’t die young; she married Cecil Newton on 27th December 1902 in Galway and they had four children -  Blanche (1905), Geraldine (1907), Bertie (1911), Aubrey (1913).  I haven’t found a record of her death.

I’m very grateful for all your help with this and I hope this helps others who have links to this family.

Thanks

Malcolm

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 12 June 17 18:20 BST (UK) »
Cecil Newton died 1959 Bridge Street ,Ballinrobe his death was not registered till June 1962 by his daughter A (Aubrey ?)Newton
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1962/04303/4108836.pdf

Mary Frances Newton died same address same informant 12th Feb 1962
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1962/04303/4108835.pdf

https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gsr&GSiman=1&GScid=2353248&GSfn=&GSln=newton

Bertie died St Vincents Hospital,Dublin from the same address as above
number 469
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1929/04937/4341994.pdf

Offline Malcolm173

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 12 June 17 21:45 BST (UK) »
Thank you Dathai - I didn't have any information on either Cecil's or Mary's deaths, so this is a great help.  They obviously both lived to a good age.  I did know about poor Bertie, who died at age 17 from an appendicitis.

I have a photo of Cecil, Mary and their children here, in case it's of interest:

https://goo.gl/photos/vVy6Sx77pvczskcp7

(if this doesn't work I'll try to attach it).

Many thanks

Malcolm

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 13 June 17 15:26 BST (UK) »
A Thomas Mellett died 1992 same plot number
https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=mellett&GSiman=1&GScid=2353248&GRid=169594578&

A Cecil Mellett was born 1931 Galway mother's maiden name Newton
possibly
https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=mellett&GSiman=1&GScid=2353248&GRid=169594141&

edited to add just noticed Cecil seems to be buried in the same plot as his grandparents the Newton's

Offline Malcolm173

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 13 June 17 21:05 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for these Dathai.

I haven't done much research recently because I'd hit a brick wall and it was costing a lot to view records on one particular site, which I won't mention.  I wasn't aware of the Irish Geneology site or the Find a Grave that you and others have given in this recent batch of posts.  There are obviously a lot more records available online now so this has prompted me to start investigating again!

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 15 June 17 23:39 BST (UK) »
Taking a look from a different angle

Agnes SEMPLE was a witness at the first marriage of Jane SEMPLE and listed with her in 1911 as an Aunt of Edward Bertram STAUNTON aged 60

There is a death in Ballinrobe in 1918 (although shown as aged 80!) of a Mary Agnes SEMPLE and the informant is Edward Staunton. LINK
This could be the same Agnes and help locate Jane
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline Kalilileth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 17 June 17 00:21 BST (UK) »
Yes, I had that.  Think she is likely to be Jane's sister.  Check out the wills I have sent you and browse through the newspaper clippings later.

Offline Kalilileth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 17 June 17 00:32 BST (UK) »
Btw, would you be kind enough to post a transcript of Jane's marriage entry/cert.  Also would you please clarify the source of your information regarding her marriage The  AT Nile Lodge as opposed to FROM Nile Lodge.

Also, please note Rev. Augustin Staunton is brother of husband.

I would be very keen to see who conducted Jane's first marriage.  Also would be keen to know the exact date with regard to the birth of Bertram Edward.  She seemed to be cutting it fine :) 

Also Bertram Edward Purcel Staunton...where does the Purcel name come from?

As to Jane's death, we know she is in Roscommon in 1911 and I suspect we need to follow Edward/Bertram's career to see  when he moves on from there and if Jane is still with him.  Otherwise we may find her in Roscommon or possibly in a nursing home in Galway, Dublin or Cong.

I do not see any trace of a burial in the Semple Vault in Galway.