Author Topic: Arthur DAY - Piano Maker  (Read 24480 times)

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Arthur Day , piano maker
« Reply #9 on: Monday 15 December 08 13:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Steve

In both the 1911 & 1917 Luton Year books, Arthur Day is listed at 4 West Hill Road & 13 Chapel Street.  In the Trade directory section, it lists him at the Chapel Street address in following 3 sections - Piano Tuners; Musical Instrument Manufacturers & Importers; Teachers of Music.

In both 1936 & 1940 Kellys directories the firm is listed as Arthur Day & Son, Ltd at 15 - 17 Upper George Street.

That's only the one son.

Regards John 

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Partridge - North Beds; Northants & Peterborough
Bishop - Bedford; Hunts, Hemingford Grey
Allen - Hunts, Hemingford Abbotts
Clement - Croydon
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline steviebee

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 15 December 08 16:43 GMT (UK) »
Thanks John.  Well spotted!

It all seems to fit.  I have also since found out that by 1946 he was still trading as Arthur Day and Son(s?) no longer as piano manufacturers, but now in the business of Radios.  By then Arthur would have been about 73 so could well have handed the business over to his son, who clearly decided he knew best!  The last recorded entry I have is from 1953, when the business was still trading as Arthur Day and Son, still doing radios, and still at the same address at 15-17 Upper George Street.  But what happened to the shop?  Is it still there?  Who was his son?

Thanks once again, John.  Much appreciated.
Steve
Day - Bedfordshire
Messham / Mesham - Flintshire
Davies - Flintshire, Denbighshire
Turner - Liverpool
Cowduck - Liverpool

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 15 December 08 17:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Steve

If you google 15-17 Upper George St Luton - it appears to be known as Connaught House and is now many different  businesses. No pictures I can see :(
Of course it may be a newer building anyway.

Jan ;)
ALL CENSUS DATA INCLUDED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

bedfordshire - farr, carver,handley, godfrey, newell, bird, emmerton, underwood,ancell
buckinghamshire- pain
cambridgeshire- bird, carver
hertfordshire- conisbee, bean, saunders, quick,godfrey
derbyshire- allsop, noon
devon - griffin, love, rapsey
dorset- rendall, gale
somerset- rendall, churchill
surrey/middlesex - douglas, conisbee, childs, lyon groombridge

Offline steviebee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 15 December 08 18:35 GMT (UK) »
Ah ha!  Thanks Jan.  That would expain another very recent find - in the phone directories from 1948 until 1953 Arthur Day was listed at address "Room 3 Connaught House", so presumably an office above the main premises.  It is definitely the same Arthur, as his phone number is the same as the business (Luton 481, if anyone should care to try!).  Surpringly,  I have also just found an entry in the 1962 directory for Arthur Day at Connaught House, by which time he would have been 89 years old!  Must be good genes in the family (unless his son was also named Arthur, and this is him!).

8) 8)
Day - Bedfordshire
Turner - Liverpool
Cowduck - Liverpool

Offline steviebee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Arthur Day , piano maker - marriage cert
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 18 December 08 17:40 GMT (UK) »
Just received Arthur's marriage cert from the GRO ahead of schedule (hurrah!).  It is the Arthur in question, as evidenced by his given age, occupation, residence and father's name.  He married Annie Maria Parker on 2 October (my birthday!) 1901 in the Wesleyan Chapel, Chapel Street, Luton.  His occupation was pianoforte maker, and Annie, who was a year younger than him, was a school teacher also from Luton.  Her father was Thomas Parker, a hat warehouseman.  I would now like to know what children he had, and who he handed the business over to.  Any ideas, or do I need to wait until the 1911 census is available? Is this where a request for a parish register "Look Up" comes in useful?
Happy Christmas to all! 
Steve :D :D
Day - Bedfordshire
Turner - Liverpool
Cowduck - Liverpool

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 18 December 08 20:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Steve
Glad it is the right marriage :)

Finding the children will be more difficult especially as Day is so common and mother's maiden-name isn't listed in the registers until, I think,  1912. Parish register look-up would be tricky as you wouldn't know which parish and looks as if they might have been non-conformist. Not long till the 1911!

Jan ;)
ALL CENSUS DATA INCLUDED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

bedfordshire - farr, carver,handley, godfrey, newell, bird, emmerton, underwood,ancell
buckinghamshire- pain
cambridgeshire- bird, carver
hertfordshire- conisbee, bean, saunders, quick,godfrey
derbyshire- allsop, noon
devon - griffin, love, rapsey
dorset- rendall, gale
somerset- rendall, churchill
surrey/middlesex - douglas, conisbee, childs, lyon groombridge

Offline horseboxman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Arthur DAY - Piano Maker
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 10 February 09 17:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi I am the great grandson of Arthur Day
Arthur did marry annie maria parker [i wasnot aware of the date as thr family bible has been lost.
There were 2 sons from the union Haydn Arthur Day and Eric Day Both Professional musocoans.
Haydn lived in Edgeware London and ran a music shop in Finchley road London.Eric lived in Cheltenham
Both Haydn and Eric had 3 children 2sons and 1 daughter each.The main business was run from Connaught house in upper george street liton and is now an office block
Arthur died in 1962 and is buried in Luton Cemetry ion Rothesay road Luton .My son and I both have an Arthur Day Piano with original stickers on the lid.I am now hoping to research family tre

Offline steviebee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 10 February 09 17:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi horseboxman.  Thanks you so much for passing this information on - it's fantastic!  I had checked out the 1911 census and found Arthur, his wife Annie and their sons Haydn and Eric living at 4 Westhill Road, but could get no more information - until your note arrived!  (Was Haydn named after the great composer, I wonder?).

As far as your research is concerned, I can supply you with some details regarding your Day ancestry back as far as the early 1700s if you would like, though it's slightly tentative prior to 1750 (any help would be appreciated!).  Just let me know.

Thanks once again!    ;D :) ;D
Day - Bedfordshire
Turner - Liverpool
Cowduck - Liverpool

Offline horseboxman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 10 February 09 17:57 GMT (UK) »
would love to have more details as i have only just started researching the family
Regards Horseboxman