Author Topic: St Paul's Church, Portwood. Stockport  (Read 19480 times)

Offline oakwoodbank

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: St Paul's Church, Portwood. Stockport
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 31 July 13 10:36 BST (UK) »
I would like to include a picture of St Paul's Church, Portwood, Stockport in some family history notes.  Understand the church has been demolished?

Grateful for advice on where I could find a picture

I have what I believe is the only oil painting in existence of St Pauls Church, Portwood, Stockport.  I have tried to post a picture here but unsuccessfully.

Offline JDGen

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 03 August 13 08:43 BST (UK) »
Hi oakwoodbank,

What a great heirloom to own.  Here is a link explaining how to attach pictures to your post.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=130922.0

Hope it helps,

Jean
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

CHS: Barber(Tabley) Barlow(Antrobus) Blackshaw(Lymm, Mobberley) Blease/Done/Moore(G Bud) Owen(Netherton, Tabley) Spragg/Witter(Goostrey) Youd(Frodsham) Pennell Bankes Birchall Beckett
DBY: Higginbottom(Mellor)
HRT: Gurney
HRT/BED/ESS: Verney (Markyate St)
LAN: Davenport(Bolton) Schofield/Gurney(Oldham) Lord(Heap) Quinn(Manchester) Sutcliffe(Rossendale)
NTH: Tubb/Johnson(Hellidon)Brown(Kettering)
YKS: Scott(Clapham)

Offline oakwoodbank

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 03 August 13 12:01 BST (UK) »
I tried to attach a pic as you outlined but there was a hitch and it didn't seem to work.  However, when I tried again I got a message that a pic with the same attachment name was already on the site.  I cannot find it and I cannot see any message that I have left after the one to which you responded.

Later - eventually made it I think.  Sorry about the quality, but the pic was taken and amended to show up the frame for the benefit of Stockport Heritage Services.

Offline rolnora

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 04 August 13 08:59 BST (UK) »

When I first started to look for paintings and images of St Paul's they were very few and far between, now thanks to staff and volunteers at Stockport, more and more are being found and put on line.
 I know that Stockport Heritage have a copy of this painting and I'm assuming that you have sent them the photo, bet they were thrilled to see it complete in its original frame.
Jean's right it's a wonderful heirloom to have in your possession and
I would love to hear the story of how you came by it.

Pat.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline oakwoodbank

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 04 August 13 09:09 BST (UK) »
Hello

I lived just across the road from St Paul's Church (27 St Paul's Street) and it was an immediate view when we looked from the house window or front door.  The artist who painted it was a guest at our house (long before I was born) and I believe that he gave the painting to my parents.  My older brother (now deceased) sang in the church choir as well as having been a pupil at the church school which was across the road in the other direction, on the corner of Portwood.

I inherited it after my parents died and as I could not hang it at that time I loaned it to Stockport Museum (as it then was).  Recently it has been returned to me and I have had it reframed.  The original plain frame can still be seen on the heritage web site.

As far as I am aware, this is the only oil painting of St Paul's in existence.

Offline rolnora

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 04 August 13 10:38 BST (UK) »

Thanks for telling us more about it.
I have seen a copy of this picture but never in any frame and I was thinking that the picture you downloaded was the original frame.
Good choice of frame, it does look as though it belongs to the picture.

Pat.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gerry

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 20 August 13 17:45 BST (UK) »
I started this thread nearly five years ago for a good friend, sadly she has now passed away.   I know the painting would have given her enormous pleasure.   Thanks oakwoodbank for posting this  picture of St Paul's church.

Offline Lynn Wood

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 08 February 15 23:03 GMT (UK) »
My family lived at 185 Great Portwood St. Opposite the front entrance of St
Paul's.  Does anyone have photos of this area before the church was demolished?  I remember being in a Passion play at the church.  The vicar Phipps Williams gave me a small New Testament.  Fond memories of Portwood  my grandparent lived across from the allotments just up from the church.  We moved from Portwood in 1958. Often revisit the area, a long way from my present home in SF California.

Offline oakwoodbank

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 09 February 15 06:40 GMT (UK) »
I will try and find pictures of the area from my contacts that could be what you are searching for.