Author Topic: Herbert  (Read 7926 times)

Offline danescott

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Herbert
« on: Saturday 13 December 08 13:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi , i hope some can help here. We have traced our heritage back to a certain date but then come to a brick wall. This is what we know.

George Henry Herbert was born on the Isle of Wight, the second son of George Herbert and
Charlotte Dyer who married at Whittingham, Isle of Wight on 17* April 1833.

George was born in the Parish ofGoadby in the County of Leicester. He enlisted in London
for the Grenadier Regiment of the Foot Guards on the 3rd of October 1825 and attested to that
Regiment on the 6th October, 1825 at the age of 19 years. After completing eight years and eight
days of service he was discharged to pension on the 10°' October 1833 aged 27 years.

Charlotte Dyer was born at Binstead, Isle of Wight, on 23"1 of June 1811, the daughter of
Thomas Dyer (1786 -1824) and Mary Ridett. Thomas Dyer was bom and married on the Isle of
Wight. He was the son of John Dyer and Ann Hoyden.

George Henry and Charlotte Herbert had a family of seven children ;

Thomas b. 1834

George Henry b. 1835 and d. 1902

William b. 1836

John b.1837

Mary Ann b. 1839

Samuel b. 1840

Joseph b. andd. 1843

Charlotte died in childbirth on 6th February, 1843 aged 33 years. Her baby, Joseph, died four
weeks later. George died on 6th November 1850 aged 43 years.

Their second son, George Henry joined the Royal Engineers at the age of 14 and volunteered
for New Zealand the following year. There he met and married Ann Wills the daughter of an
early settler. George and Ann and their family were pioneers of the Taranaki region.
~~~~~~~~----------------------------------

"There is talk of the history going back to but no proof of our particular Herbert name linked to the below text"

The Herbert name at the end of the fifteenth century was prominent
in the counties of Glamorgan and Monmouth. In 1542 William Herbert was granted a coat of
arms and crest. The family motto, "ung je serviray" is "One I will Serve". In 1551 he was
created Lord Herbert of Cardiff and Earl of Pembroke. Henry Herbert, the present I?* Earl of
Pembroke and 14th Earl of Montgomery was born in 1939.

Thanks in advance

Offline WelshGen

• RootsChat Senior
  • http://www.spanglefish.com/welshgenealogy/
    • View Profile
Re: Herbert
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 14 December 08 20:36 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Roots chat, the below is just an observation until someone else comes along with anything more concrete to assist you.
I can't see an obvious relationship from what you have posted. The Earl of Pembroke title is well documented on Wikipedia and overlaps the dates that you have. Maybe it would be worth doing some research in that direction as you may have a connection to a brother or sister or children of the Earl of Pembrokes. As with all Lords and ladies their family lines are well documented.
If you look at the Wiki link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earl_of_Pembroke A previous Earl was Governor of the Isle of Wight so maybe the connection is to your Charlotte Dyer and her relatives.
Jones, Parry, Williams on Lleyn, Hughes, Thomas on Anglesey/Caernarvonshire, Blunt, Davies, Lee in Dudley, Staffs
Cox, Humphreys and Keech, Bedford
My website http://www.spanglefish.com/welshgenealogy/

Offline Lawnaki

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 04 April 09 07:03 BST (UK) »
I am currently researching this Herbert Family and can offer some additional info on this family.
George Henry Herbert who arrived in NZ in 1850 and married Ann Wills, wrote letters to a cousin in England in 1897. These letters have shed new light on the research into this family and have pretty much discounted the fact that his father George Herbert was the one from Goadby, but places him in a family from Berkshire with several siblings, some of whom have been traced and descendants contacted. 
While there is still no clear link to the Earls of Pembroke, there is mention in the letters of the fact that this family was of Welsh origins and descended from an Earl who was "cut off with a shilling". Whether this "Earl is a bonafide son of the one of the Earls or one born on the "underside of the blanket" has not been found.
Your reply would be welcome.

Offline wiltonwonder

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 10 September 15 07:29 BST (UK) »
I am currently researching this Herbert Family and can offer some additional info on this family.
George Henry Herbert who arrived in NZ in 1850 and married Ann Wills, wrote letters to a cousin in England in 1897. These letters have shed new light on the research into this family and have pretty much discounted the fact that his father George Herbert was the one from Goadby, but places him in a family from Berkshire with several siblings, some of whom have been traced and descendants contacted. 
While there is still no clear link to the Earls of Pembroke, there is mention in the letters of the fact that this family was of Welsh origins and descended from an Earl who was "cut off with a shilling". Whether this "Earl is a bonafide son of the one of the Earls or one born on the "underside of the blanket" has not been found.
Your reply would be welcome.

Has any more been found out about this link since this post?  I too am trying to find the link.  Does anyone have access to these letters back to England?  Any idea who the Earl was that was cut off?

Offline Lawnaki

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 10 September 15 09:37 BST (UK) »
Hi wiltonwonder....Since my last post in 2009 I can tell you that we have made no significant link from the family of John and Margaret Herbert of Childrey/Wantage in Berkshire to the Earls of Pembroke family, except for one attempt by a NZ cousin who researched the possibility of a link back through Thomas Herbert the 8th Earl of Pembroke. However have managed to find out more fine detail on the whole family and also I have logged my father's YDNA into Family Tree DNA with the hope that some time there may be another descendant that matches that can prove the link back, but until that happens it's all speculation. I do have a copy of the letters in question but would need to know your connection to the family before sharing, and would be very interested to make contact with any Herbert descendants of any of the children of John and Margaret (nee Poynter) Herbert,  or George and Charlotte (nee Dyer) Herbert of Isle of Wight. 

Offline wiltonwonder

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 10 September 15 09:57 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your prompt reply.  i was just starting to wade in but it sounds like there is no point.  Obviously it was a family rumour that got started with no actual proof.

I am married to a Herbert decendant of the charlotte and george line.  I was hoping to find the link as part of my research into his family history.  That is disappointing news indeed.  My husband visited Wilton house when he was in the UK as the belief is strong in the family that they are connected some how.

It would be great to get a copy of the letters you mentioned.  george Henry Herbert who came to New Zealand, is my husband's  great great great grandfather.

Offline Lawnaki

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 10 September 15 10:50 BST (UK) »
Good to hear of your interest in the Herbert family. I would like to hear from on email. Please contact me on (*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline jmackenzieNZ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 14 May 16 17:39 BST (UK) »
Hello all,

I have heard this story quite often from my Grandmother who is a Herbert, something about a fire and some documents were lost as well?

My Grandmother is the daughter of Leslie Riches Herbert, who is the son of George Henry Herbert, whose Father is George Henry Herbert Snr that you are referring to on his page.

I too have traced the Herbert's back to Berkshire.

I would very much like to get a copy of those letters Lawnaki so I can read them over and share them with my Grandma.

I look forward to hearing from anyone still interested in this.

Offline Rob_HerNZ

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 25 February 17 06:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi there. I am also interested in this topic. I too heard stories via my parents/uncles & aunts about a relative researching the Earl of Pembroke link while camping in a tent on the grounds of Wilton House. I was told a lamp fell over and burnt down the tent and all the records. How much of this true I don't know. I am the great grandson of George Henry Herbert who immigrated to Taranaki in NZ. The lineage back to John Herbert 1768 -1851 (George Henry's grandfather) seems solid but earlier than that gets a bit sketchy. I too have been trying to find a link between John Herbert's grandfather (named John) and the son of Thomas Herbert, 8th Earl of Pembroke, also named John. It may be a long shot but seems worth pursuing. Any further info would be appreciated  :)