Author Topic: Roundabouts Children's Hotel W-S-M  (Read 9483 times)

Offline ranaridibunda

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Roundabouts Children's Hotel W-S-M
« on: Sunday 14 December 08 19:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi

At some point in the 50's I was put into a home called 'Roundabouts Children's Hotel'. I've managed to find on Ancestry a phone directory listing for 1954 which gave the address as 3 St Paul's Road, Weston-Super-Mare. It sounds as though this may have been a private home and I wondered if anyone either knows of this place or could tell me if/where I could maybe get hold of early records?? Thank you  :)

Regards
Karen
RIDOUT from Sherborne, Bath and London .... please visit my RIDOUT website and blog :-)

Offline Sue15

• RootsChat Senior
  • No one is too old to need a Teddy Bear
    • View Profile
Re: Roundabouts Children's Hotel W-S-M
« Reply #1 on: Monday 15 December 08 08:36 GMT (UK) »
Dear Karen
I have sent you a personal message with the details of how to contact a local historian in Weston Super Mare who may well be help to help you

regards

Sue
Davies- Llandegly, Cefnllys
Lloyd, Old and New Radnor Glascwm
Holl, Radnor, Kington
Mannering(s), Chatham Hinckley
England & Iliffe in Hinckley
Whitlock, Wilts, Glos and Cardiff
Howell, Cardiff
Hoddinott, Sturminster Newton,  - Weston S Mare
Thymian Eiling, Rahmer, Heitmuller -Hanover and Braunchsweig Germany
Wellings- Shropshire
Weaver . Cinderford and Walford Herefordshire also Ross, Australia & Pontypridd
Thomas - Williamstown, Tonypandy
Trembath - Cornwall & Williamstown Wales

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 17 December 08 23:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Karen

The aerial photo on Googlemap shows a large house 2 or 3 blocks from the seafront.

Cheers, Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ranaridibunda

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 23 January 09 20:55 GMT (UK) »
Sorry judb - I didn't have the notifications selected so hadn't realised that you'd replied. I have been kindly sent some photos of the house but I didn't realise that it was on the seafront so thanks for that :-)

Cheers, Karen
RIDOUT from Sherborne, Bath and London .... please visit my RIDOUT website and blog :-)

Offline Sue15

• RootsChat Senior
  • No one is too old to need a Teddy Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 24 January 09 13:07 GMT (UK) »
Hello Karen

The house is near the sea front but not on the seafront - it is a road away- The exact location is towards the Uphill end of the sea front away from the pier

kind regards

Sue
Davies- Llandegly, Cefnllys
Lloyd, Old and New Radnor Glascwm
Holl, Radnor, Kington
Mannering(s), Chatham Hinckley
England & Iliffe in Hinckley
Whitlock, Wilts, Glos and Cardiff
Howell, Cardiff
Hoddinott, Sturminster Newton,  - Weston S Mare
Thymian Eiling, Rahmer, Heitmuller -Hanover and Braunchsweig Germany
Wellings- Shropshire
Weaver . Cinderford and Walford Herefordshire also Ross, Australia & Pontypridd
Thomas - Williamstown, Tonypandy
Trembath - Cornwall & Williamstown Wales

Offline ranaridibunda

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 24 January 09 15:12 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Sue - following judb's post I looked on Google Earth for myself (why I hadn't thought of that for myself I don't know!) and found it a little way away from the actual seafront. Thanks to all of you (and Brian Austin) I now have a much better idea of the place in which, as a small child, I spent some time.

Kind Regards
Karen

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 24 January 09 23:26 GMT (UK) »
Glad you found it!  Living 12 000 miles away I use googlemap a lot for looking at my ancestors' residences and I'm surprised how many are still there, especially, of course, village houses etc.  In Australia and US googlemap also shows street views so you can see exactly what the place looks like - very handy.

Best wishes, Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline SMG

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 22 April 09 23:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Karen
My first post on this wonderful site!
I felt I needed to reply to you as 'Roundabouts' from what I can remember was a day nursery - and I went there!
It would have been around mid 1960's about 1965 I think. All I can remember of the place from that time was that there was a highchair in the hallway where the naughty children would sit as a punishment!  I remember being sat in it once - it obviously affected me as I can still remember sitting in that highchair vividly and the smell of the dinner cooking - horrible. I didn't like it there at all, but then I was very small at the time.

Offline Chippy61

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 29 April 09 20:52 BST (UK) »
SMG - I was there at about the same time, perhaps a year or so later. I have some photos. You are quite right in what you say about it being a day  nursery. Don't remember the naughty chair, perhaps I was a good boy! I loved it there and even was a page boy at one of the carers wedding! Perhaps we can fiind out more between us. Photo attached if it works - this is my first time on here. Malcolm