Author Topic: Michael Kelleher and his Wives in Mallow Cork!  (Read 4806 times)

Offline Kylie B

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Michael Kelleher and his Wives in Mallow Cork!
« on: Monday 15 December 08 05:01 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone help with further details of this family originating in Mallow Cork please?

Michael Kelleher - born circa 1780's
Married Mary Sullivan pre 1814 in Mallow.  Michael and Mary had a daughter Catherine born 1814, a son Michael born 'at michaelmas' in 1815 and a daughter Mary born in 1816 (approx August).

Mary must have then died, because Michael married again - to whom unknown. This second wife must have also passed away, as Michael remarries for a third time in approx 1820.

His third marriage is to Elizabeth Malan (I belive this is the surname). Michael and Elizabeth then have William, David, Thomas (born circa 1827), John,  Julia, Honora (born circa 1830), and Elizabeth (born circa 1835).

In 1836, Catherine and Mary emigrate to Australia under the bounty scheme as single women.
Michael, Elizabeth and the children follow in 1837.
Son Michael and his family (wife Margaret and daughter Mary Ann) follow in 1844.

Can anyone help with marriage details of ANY of Michael's 3 marriages, confirmation of birth or baptism of ANY of the children, and if I was exceptionally lucky- any details of the parents of Michael or Elizabeth please??!!

Many thanks! Really hoping these families still have connections in Mallow?!
Kylie B

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Michael Kelleher and his Wives in Mallow Cork!
« Reply #1 on: Monday 15 December 08 08:27 GMT (UK) »
Civil registration of birth, deaths and Catholic marriages in Ireland began 1864 (from 1845 for other marriages) all far too late for your Kelleher family. For earlier dates you need to search for church records, if they exist.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline mosher

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 17 March 10 14:35 GMT (UK) »
I know this is an old thread but maybe Kylie is still around!

I have a Mary Kelleher (maiden name apparently Sullivan) that came out to Aust as a convict with a young daughter, Catherine, in 1817.  I know you have said Catherine came out later, but is there any way this Mary & Catherine could be yours?

Aly

Offline Kylie B

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 22 March 10 07:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Aly- yes I am still around!!

Now this is very interesting...do you have any more info on your Mary Kelleher nee Sullivan and her daughter Mary?

I am thinking there is a possability that Michael's first wife Mary Sullivan did not die (especially since I have never found a death for her in Ireland) but was actually transported. Perhaps he then re-married needing a wife to help care for his remaining children??

Perhaps Catherine came out with her mother, then returned to her father and family....when did Mary Kelleher nee Sullivan die?? Could it be that she passed away, so Catherine returned to ireland, found life was worse than the colonies, and convinced her family to come back again???

Lots of questions!! Let me know what you know of your Mary and Catherine, and we will see what we can piece together!
Kylie B

Offline mosher

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 22 March 10 10:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kylie,

I would very much doubt that my Catherine ever left Australia.  Mary came out on the "Canada" in 1817, it is noted on the Colonial Secretary's records that she arrived with one child.  She was called variously Kelleher, Killeher, Kelliher, Callaghan, Callagher etc etc.

Mary married Samuel Higgins (had one son John), and then Vardy Sheehan (had 2 sons, one daughter).  She died 8 Apr 1839 in Windsor NSW.  Her youngest child was then brought up by Catherine.

Catherine started having children in 1832, so she would have been about 18.  Catherine died in Vic in 1877.

I have read from someone elses research that Mary's maiden name was Sullivan but with no records or notations as to where this was from.  That person had Mary married to a William Callaghan in Ireland but again no source.  She was def written as Killeher on the transportation and only noted as Callaghan after she got to Aust.

Maybe a coincidence?

Aly

Offline Kylie B

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 23 March 10 02:00 GMT (UK) »
Could certainly be crossed wires- Mary Kelleher I gather was not an un-common name!! So maybe the Sullivan is right and a coincidence, or a mix up between 2 tree's.

I have come across the marriage to Fardy Sheean- we thought mistakenly it was my Mary Kelleher, daughter of Michael.

Who does your Catherine marry?? Mine marries a Hugh Morgan.

Kylie B

Offline attunga11

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 15 August 16 11:31 BST (UK) »
Catherine (born in Cork 1815), Kelleher, sometimes spelt Callagher, Higgins, Sheehan sometimes spelt Shean, married James Murphy(born Cork1816) in 1834 in St. Mary's, Sydney.  She already had a child, Susan Smith and a John Murphy.  They had 8 more children. Catherine 1835-36, another Catherine 1836-1906, Phillip 1837-1877, Bridget 1843-1920, Margaret 1843-1843, Anastasia 1847-?, Michael 1852-1911 and James 1853-1859. James died in 1853 aged 37, in Carcoar.  Catherine died in 1877 in Omeo Victoria. 
Catherine travelled to Australia with her mother on the convict ship Canada, she was 2 years old, and was placed in the female orphanage in Parramatta. Her mother Mary Sullivan married 3 times, William Kelleher, Samuel Higgins and Fardy Sheehan.