Author Topic: John Starkey, Worcester  (Read 3074 times)

Offline Friar

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Starkey, Worcester
« on: Tuesday 16 December 08 21:10 GMT (UK) »
I am also a great grandson of John Starkey. My grandfather was Henry Starkey and my father George Henry Starkey. I believe that the person also researching John is one of my half-brothers?

Offline peggypneestarkey

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: John Starkey, Worcester
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 12 March 09 08:30 GMT (UK) »
My mum is also the great grandaughter of John Starkey.  Her grandad was William Starkey and her father Fred Starkey (they lived in Evesham).  Any further information appreciated.  We are trying to find more details of John Starkey, Henry's father.

Offline drowles

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 18 April 09 17:35 BST (UK) »
 my brother in law as been looking at his family history, he as told me about his grand mother who was violetta starkey and her father he as told me came from germany which was john starkey who live in temperance street worcester and a henry starkey who showed him how to make and  repair shoes, the family moved to  lich street according to the 1901 census, sophia john starkeys wife was a glove maker and so was her daughter, my brother inlaw is gerry baker by the way, he as  also told me that violetta married a  joseph poole. from the census of 1901 there is john starkey 47, sophia starkey42, henry starkey 19, sophia starkey 17 william starkey 15, frederick starkey 12, alice starkey 10 , frank starkey 7. i have also been intouch with a roy starkey, just  one more bit of information sophia father was william brown he was a potter by trade. i hope i have been of help to you all the best dennis rowles

Offline carole maidment

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 18 February 17 17:59 GMT (UK) »
I am also a great grandaughter of John Starkey. He was born in Prussia and was brought to England as a young boy. He learnt his boot-maker/repair man in Birmingham. He moved to Worcester where  he continued his trade. He lodged with the Browns, married their daughter Sophia and set up his own business in Friar Street. His son Frank was my maternal grandfather.
Henry also set up business in Friar Street in competition with his father. Henry's daughter Barbara married Henry Sandon, the renowned antiques man.