Author Topic: Thomas Jolly b.1781 Fettercairn  (Read 8368 times)

Offline BJolly

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Jolly b.1781 Fettercairn
« on: Wednesday 17 December 08 23:00 GMT (UK) »
Any info on this Jolly? I have his death cert from Scotland's People but can't make out parents names. Mother's maiden name is possibly Garvie or Harvie. Thomas married Susan Murray in Benholm 1807 and I have the rest from there but looking for details of Thomas's parents, siblings, etc.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Jolly b.1781 Fettercairn
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 17 December 08 23:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi BJolly

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

There is a 1781 christening showing on IGI for a Thomas Jollie in Fettercairn, but mother on this entry shows as Jean EWIN, father Thomas.

You can contact Scotlands People  at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/content/contactus/form.aspx?issue=24 and they should send you via email an enhanced section of the certificate which will hopefully be clearer to read.

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BJolly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 17 December 08 23:31 GMT (UK) »
Thanks MonicaLesl

I came across that info before but I'm not sure it's connected. It may be easier just to email Scotland's people as you suggest.

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 20 December 08 01:31 GMT (UK) »
hi bjolly

welcome to rootschat  :)

will have to search through my info. but i have connections to jolly in the
johnshaven area , although later on
once i've had a look i will contact you

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline Hazelanne007

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • An eye for an eye will make the whole world blind
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 28 February 09 18:54 GMT (UK) »
 ;D
Billy,
  I have a Genforum reply from you sitting on my desk.  Wanted to let you know that I will be in contact directly soon.  I have Thomas.....He is son of Robert James Jolly and Ann Loggan(s).  He was born 1782.  The record is horrible, and his name is actually not on there, but a blank space.  Scotlands people decided to give me my credits back, but I have confirmed from his death cert (also not very good) that he was born in 1782.  His brother John was also on this same document.  I will be in touch soon.  I have as far back as Andrew in the 1640 time period.
Jolly, Alexander, Syme, Annand, Gillies, Morrison, Blair, Ramsay, Williamson, Rankin, Montgomery, McCombie, Gordon, Murray, Farquharson, MacDonald, Souter, MacIver, MacLennan, Dewar, Forbes, Nicol/Nuccle
Mostly in Clackmanna, Kincardine, and Isles of Lewis & Harris.

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me with yet another pudding bowl haircut...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 16 January 14 21:42 GMT (UK) »
I know this is an old post but thought it might be worth updating.  As I'm working on all the Jollys in Kincardinshire I know how difficult it can be to pinpoint the correct Jolly as so many names repeat.

I'm confident that the Thomas Jolly born in 1781 at Fettercairn was son to Thomas Jollie(sp) and Jean Ewin (sp). Thomas marries a Susan Murray and they are both on the 1851 census where Thomas lists his age as 69 and his place of birth as Fettercairn. Thomas dies in 1858 at Balnagubs age 77- his parents are listed as unknown on his death certificate but his son David (who marries Isabella Gordon in 1841) signs the certificate - looks like Thomas was living with his son as David and Isabella are living at Balnagubs in 1851.

Robert Jolly and Ann Logan marry in Fordoun in 1778 but all their children are born in Garvock.  The 'male' born to them in 1782 is a David Jolly - he dies in 1858 his death certificate shows his parents as Robert Jolly and Ann Loggan.  Robert and Ann do have a son born September 1781 but his name is John.
Jen
North East Scotland above the Tay...
JOLLY, Johnston,Thom, Rae, Davidson, Fielding, Sherret
FEARN, McKenzie, Stirling [brick wall], Robb, Wilson, Stott
RUSSELL, Fullerton, Christie, Cochrane, Davidson, Coutts, Easton, Scott
FRASER, Henderson, Noble, Mundie, Goodall, Thain, Neish, Moir

Offline RoserAncestors

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 03 April 15 23:15 BST (UK) »
Realise this is an old post but I am working on a family tree for a family friend who is descended (I think) from a Catherine Duncan nee Jolly who died in Old Deer Aberdeenshire in 1857.

Her death certificate gives an approximate birth year of 1788 and her parents as Robert Jolly farmer and Ann Logan.

I imagine it must be the same couple referred to above and I was wondering whether anyone has traced Robert and Ann back?

Quite happy to send a copy of the certificate by email if anyone wants to PM me.

Offline RoserAncestors

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 03 April 15 23:21 BST (UK) »
Should have mentioned that Catherine Duncan nee Jolly gives a birthplace of Garvock about 1787 in the 1851 census.