Author Topic: John McGachen b. 1787 Cheltenham?  (Read 15835 times)

Offline patrexjax

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John McGachen b. 1787 Cheltenham?
« Reply #9 on: Friday 19 December 08 23:56 GMT (UK) »
Hello Elizabeth!   ;D  THANK YOU so much for this information. I'm going to try to collate what I know so far on my furthest back McGachens.  I can see that the name has been spelled differently and that may account for my problems in searching for them.  Later! Pat
ARCHIBALD/ARCHBALD: Tweedmouth, NBL; CHARLTON: Ponteland, NBL;
ERRINGTON: West Denton, NBL; 
FAIRLESS: Longbenton, NBL;
HARDING: Hollinside, Co. Durham;
KING: Newcastle-on-Tyne & Berwickshire;
LOCKEY: Ryton, Whickham, Co. Durham & YKS; NICHOLSON: Ponteland, Newburn, NBL; PAXTON: Norham, NBL;
PAULIN: Berwickshire; REAY, Ponteland, NBL;
SCOTT: Norham, NBL; SELBY: Tweedmouth, NBL;
SLIGH: Berwickshire; SPOOR: Whickham & Ryton;
WIDDRINGTON: NBL

Offline patrexjax

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 20 December 08 00:08 GMT (UK) »
Hello Susan, THANK YOU for the website. I shall delve into it soon. Pat
LOCKEY: Ryton, Whickham, Co. Durham & YKS; NICHOLSON: Ponteland, Newburn, NBL; PAXTON: Norham, NBL;

Offline patrexjax

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 20 December 08 04:26 GMT (UK) »
Hello Elizabeth! Firstly, let me offer an apology to you....I am 99% certain that the original family you found for me IS the correct family...Those ages threw me off...Here's what I have gleaned so far: John McGachen and Ann Dew had at least 5 children: Nicholas Howard McGachen b. abt 1821 in Scotland; a female (unnamed) b. abt 1825 in Cheltenham - per IGI; John Drummond McGachen b. abt 1826 in Cheltenham who married a woman named Sophia. Fourth child: Donald Rollo McGachen who married Emily Jane Hill Sept 1870 qtr in Scarboro and he died age 66 in March Qtr 1894 in Cheltenham. Lastly, Archibald Henry Harmsworth McGachen b. abt 1828 in Cheltenham who died at age 74 in Dec Qtr 1902 in Lewisham, London.  So, the obvious question is: where were the two oldest children at the time of the 1841 census?  I suspect that Nicholas Howard McGachen MAY have been away at theology school. The female child may have either died as a youngster or have been visiting other relatives.  I have had a terrible time trying to find Donald Rollo McGachen in the 1881 census -- according to the death index - he is still supposed to be alive....obviously, his surname has been so mutilated in the transcription process that I can't find it.  I tried all the alternate spellings you supplied.   :'(  Can you find Donald?  I don't know how I can find that unnamed female except perhaps she married and is in the civil marriage indexes...The McGachen names in those indexes are not consistent, either!  So, Elizabeth, you were spot on when you provided the fact that the name has been altered fairly significantly... Thanks so much.   Pat

Offline Liz in France

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 20 December 08 14:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pat,

I have some of the answers for you.

I will give you it a bit at a time or else I get into a muddle.  The spellings are as they are written on the censuses so you can find them.

1841 census
Nicolas H McGachan 15
Living at Dunoon Cottage Ayr, Scotland with BROTHER  Frideric  aged 14

1851 N Howard  McGachen     B.A. Curate of Acton Turville Living at Acton Turville, Glos.with brother  F Stewart  McGachen     Barrister at Law in actual practice

1861 Nicholas H McGacken curate of Portsmouth married to Henrietta M of Mudford Essex (I think) 4 children, 2 born I.O.Wight and 2 Portsmouth

1871 Nicolas H McGachen 10 St Georges Place London. Rector of St George the Martyr and St Mary Magdelen.  4 children

1881  Nicholas H McGachen vicar of Littlebourne - 14 St Georges Place - wife now Mary born Holborn London aged 61

1891  Nicolas H McGacherd at Littlebourne

1901 Howard McGachen Effingham House Dover,  Clergyman C of E widower living with 17 yr old grandson Edward McGachen born Canada

So that is Nicolas Howard McGachen covered for all the censuses.
The 1841 census being Scottish does not allow you to look at the full sheet so it is impossible to say what sort of place they were living in.  Looking at the neighbours on the same page, it looks as though it could be an establishment for orphans or the workhouse next door.  They are living with the Auld family as well as lots of other people.

The children may number more than 4 as I haven't checked the names out for them.

Will come back with more as I find it.

Elizabeth

Offline patrexjax

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 20 December 08 15:05 GMT (UK) »
Hello again! WOW!  Yet another child - Frederick!  I can't begin to thank you enough for your wonderful effort on sorting out this family, which is growing by leaps and bounds!   :o  My connection is through Nicholas Howard McGahen, however, due to the use of very significant middle names in ALL of the siblings branches of this family, I am convinced that I will need to sort out all of them!  For example, now that I know we are also looking for a Frederick -- I think I have found his death in civil registration: his full name is VERY significant: Death: March Qtr 1865 in Bethnal Green: MacGachen, Francis Nicholas Styleman L'Estrange died March Qtr 1865.  And, also, insterestingly, another death entry for the same quarter and place: MacGachen, Stewart John Drummond!!!  These are ALL significant family names.  Even a birth in Newent district in June 1873: MacGachen, Harold Dew!!!!!  One of the problems in the civil registrations is that the name has been spelled with a "mac" OR a "mc" ---so I am using both spellings. I THANK YOU so much for finding "my" Nicholas Howard with the spelling variations! I have never been able to get various census alternate spellings to work for me, so my hat's off to you, Elizabeth.  PS- I'm still in shock over the Canadian connection!!!  :o  Pat

Offline Liz in France

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 20 December 08 15:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pat,

I am still working on the rest of the family but I think I am not going to be quite so successful as I was with Nicolas H.  Spellings are key to finding quickly and some of the interpretations, leave a lot to be desired.

I too saw H Dew, I thought it was Howard but not sure.  There is Archibald Hew McGachen born4/1960 Selby but he is the son of John Drummond.  Then there is a Howard Archibald married York 1893 and so it goes on.

Frideric (Frederick perhaps) had the second name of Stewart but I haven't been able to find anything else for him yet.  Just 1841 and 1851.  That death in Bethnal Green: have you checked the births for that one as I feel it could be the son of John Drummond, the same for Stewart John Drummond.  I feel the connection you are talking about though.  Certain names  keep cropping up, talk about keeping it in the family.

There are so many little things that may or may not be significant and you just have to keep at it.  Somethimes, even changing your views as more comes to light.

I have been doing this for nearly two years now, which isn't long, but I keep at it every day for at least a couple of hours, sometimes 4 or 5 , I am so wrapped up in it.

At the beginning I found something in my family tree that  was different to another person's tree that had been working on it for 20 years and who was a bit of an expert on our family name.  She didn't believe my theory to start with and told me so, but with the new information, she had to concede that I was right and everything fell into place.  So you see, even after 20 years, new info can make a difference.

I am looking at Archibald now, but not much to show for it.

Will be back.
Elizabeth

Offline patrexjax

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 20 December 08 15:42 GMT (UK) »
Hello again!  I am still finding very significant tidbits that you have found, Elizabeth.  ;D  For example, the 1841 entry for Nicholas and his Brother, Frederick living in Ayr, Scotland....That is a link to the possible birthplace of John McGachen, the Father.  There is an IGI entry for John McGachen born in the "correct" time frame - ca.1787 in Ayr, Scotland.  I am suspecting that the Cheltenham entry for his birth - which was submitted - was merely a guess.  >:(  And, it was an erroneous assumption.)  At any rate, I know that there is 92 year old gent who knew precious little about his McGachen family tree that will be doing the happy dance tomorrow!  PS: The Dew family has been SO easy to trace because they connect to the Syleman, L'Estrange and Wodehouse families who are directly related to Edward I.   That's why those names do appear in related families, I am sure.   :)  Again, my sincerest thanks for all you are doing and may I take this opportunity to wish you and yours a most happy Christmas. Pat

Offline tillyc

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 20 December 08 15:47 GMT (UK) »
Found the following family members - not sure if you have this info:  Baptism

8 Oct 1871

MACGACHEN   George Stanley
   Donald Rollo
   Emma Jane

Residence:   Corse

1873   Jun   1
   MACGACHEN
   Harold Dew   
Donald Rollo
Emma Jane:   
Residence:   Corse

Offline patrexjax

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 20 December 08 15:56 GMT (UK) »
Hello tilly!  THANK YOU so much for the additional information; it really does help to try to sort this family out properly.  Pat