Author Topic: John McGachen b. 1787 Cheltenham?  (Read 15805 times)

Offline tillyc

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John McGachen b. 1787 Cheltenham?
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 20 December 08 16:02 GMT (UK) »
You're welcome Pat.  I am just checking to see if there are any other snippets I can  find for you.

Regards

Tilly

Offline Liz in France

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 20 December 08 16:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I agree with you and I personally would start looking in Scotland, most certainly and now would start with Ayr.

You are lucky to have such fabulously unusual names and combinations, it really does narrower the search down but  pity about the difficult surname.  I tried FreeBMD but it comes up everytime with no records found, which I can't believe.

Do you have Ancestry or a similar census source.  There are so many children born to the generation we are looking at and I wonder if you have them all.

Archibald must have gone to Nova Scotia with the army as his daughter Mary was born there c.1874/5 so maybe he was still there in 1881 as I haven't yet found the census.  His other daughter Alice was born in Leckhampton in Cheltenham c.1870/71 so I can have a look through the census there as I am familiar with Leckhampton.

Will be back.
Elizabeth

Offline patrexjax

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 20 December 08 16:16 GMT (UK) »
Hello again Liz, I managed to find on freeBMD some of them listed under "MacGachen" ---- sadly, I do not have acces at this time to Ance**** or any other pay site.  I really appreciate your efforts...I am still quie puzzzled why I could only find two of the families in 1881 census: Nicholas H. living in Kent and John D. living in London....Again, there must be a radical spelling for others!!  Thanks and happy holidays!  Pat
ARCHIBALD/ARCHBALD: Tweedmouth, NBL; CHARLTON: Ponteland, NBL;
ERRINGTON: West Denton, NBL; 
FAIRLESS: Longbenton, NBL;
HARDING: Hollinside, Co. Durham;
KING: Newcastle-on-Tyne & Berwickshire;
LOCKEY: Ryton, Whickham, Co. Durham & YKS; NICHOLSON: Ponteland, Newburn, NBL; PAXTON: Norham, NBL;
PAULIN: Berwickshire; REAY, Ponteland, NBL;
SCOTT: Norham, NBL; SELBY: Tweedmouth, NBL;
SLIGH: Berwickshire; SPOOR: Whickham & Ryton;
WIDDRINGTON: NBL

Offline Liz in France

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 20 December 08 17:28 GMT (UK) »
Back again,

I have found all sorts of things on A******y which are very interesting but some of it quite involved.

Archibald Henry H  was living with his parents in 1841 at Corse (Lawn) Glos.
1851 he was lodging at 16 Norfolk Street, St Clement Danes and was an architects clerk.

Can't find 1861

1868 Son Howard was born in Rochester
1870  Daughter Alice        "   " Leckhampton Cheltenham
1871 Son Roderick was born in Bristol
1875 Daughter Mary was born in Nova Scotia (Halifax)
1881 ??
1891 Living  in Lee London with the above (McEachen) Retired staff Paymaster Army.
1901 Lewisham??  Can't find yet
Death 1902 Lewisham.

I don't know if I am going mad or getting bogged down but did Archibald marry Mary Dobson in Cheltenham 2/1867 and John marry Sophia Dobson in 1853.  Were they sisters do you think?

I have the marriage details for John Drummond MacGachen to Sophia Dobson 2nd Feb 1853 Selby Yorks.  Grooms father John MacGachen.

I have found John's details for 1841, 1861, 1871 and 1881

1841 same as Archibald
1851 ?
1861 MacGaiher - children Francis 6 born Scotland, Frederick 5 born Selby, Henrietta 2 born Selby, Archibald 6 month born Selby.

1871 Vicarage at St Bartholemews Bethnal Green.  John D 45, Sophia 39,
Archibald H 10, Sophia J.A. 6, Duncan G M 1.

1881 John & Sophia with ARchibald H, Euphemia A 16 St Barts Vicarage.

I think this is a bit muddly.  Where are Sophia J A (16) and Duncan (11) and where did Euphemia come from as she would be the same age as Sophia.
Anyway, it's names you can look up.

The people that Nicholas and Frederic were staying with in 1841 were called Auld and the wife was called Euphemia and I think the daughter as well.  Is there a family connection?

There are a lot of MacGachens in the incoming passenger lists and they may be significant as a lot of them are from Quebec.  Here a few.

AFD MacGachen born 1862
Quebec to Southampton 4.7.1922

ASD MacGachen
New YOrk to Liverpool 10.6.1893

Armine MacGachen born c. 1876
Depart Quebec arrived Southampton 11.6.1930

Armine MacGachen born c. 1864
Quebec to Liverpool 6.6.1924

Armine MacGachen born c 1863
Quebec to Liverpool  29/5/1925
Lots more there.   These are all the same person I would think and I wonder if he was employed on the shipping line.

Few births of interest.

Frederick William Dobson MacGachen 2/1856 Selby  (John & Sophia)
Annine Frederick MacGachen (Armine)? 1/1855 I.O.W.  Nicholas & Mary ?
Henrietta Mary Armine MacGachen 3/1858 Selby

From The Law List. Counsel

J MacGachen esq. Cheltenham  M. Date of call 7.11.1834
there were entries with either L. G or M.  Don't know what they mean but probably a level of attainment in the justice system.  This is John born circa 1787 I would think.

I will come back with more in a minute.

Elizabeth

Offline Liz in France

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 20 December 08 17:47 GMT (UK) »
Last bit for now.

Extracts from Oxford University Ulumni.  1715 -1886

Nicholas Howard MacGachen. 1s (first son) of John of Edinburgh arm. PEMBROKE COLL. MATRIC. 14.12.1844 aged 21. B.A.   1848 Vicar of St Mark, North End, Portsmouth, 1868-60 rector of St George the Martyr etc. Canterbury.  1869-81 Vicar of Littlebourne Kent, since 1881 ....

John Drummond MacGachen 2s. John of Cheltenham co. Gloucestershire arm. PEMBROKE COLL. matric. 17.12.1844 age of 19 B.A.  1848 M.A.  1855 Vicar of St Bartholemews Bethnal Green until his death 10.4.1886

If you tell me what else I can find for you, I will look it up and send it as a PM and that way I can copy stuff if necessary and send it to you.

Hope all this has helped you move on.  I know we haven't established the baptism of John, your original look up, but we have enlarged the family somewhat.  I think that Edinburgh might be a good place to start for John's baptism as I saw that on one of the censuses.   I think Nicholas was born Edinburgh.

All this has been done in a bit of a hurry but I am happy to go through it all slowly and check and add details.

Nicholas's grandson born Canada, could there be a connection with Armine do you think.  Perhaps tomorrow, i could go through and list the known children to the parents and then we might see who his parents were.  Let me know if you want me to.

Best of luck and I hope the 92 old fellow is happy with your findings.  I take it is his family too.

Elizabeth

Offline patrexjax

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 20 December 08 17:58 GMT (UK) »
Hello Elizabeth! Whew!  What amazing finds!  In answer to some of your questions: I strongly suspect that the DOBSON ladies, when it all shakes out, will be related.....(Keep the money in the family kind of thing, I suspect)...Yes, Armine McGachen is kin to this group -- Armine is one of the Le Strange family ancestors....well documented on visitations and on the net. They are directly related to Sir William Armine of Osgoodby b. abt 1409 who was treasurer of Calais.  And, finally, based on your finding John McGachen as an attorney (barrister) in 1841 following his military career, I suspect, yes, those would be some sort of levels he attained in the justice system.  There is a LOT to absorb about this family and its connections. I thank you profusely for your tenacity and interest!  :)  Pat
LOCKEY: Ryton, Whickham, Co. Durham & YKS; NICHOLSON: Ponteland, Newburn, NBL; PAXTON: Norham, NBL;

Offline Liz in France

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 20 December 08 18:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi

You're very welcome Pat.  It's nice to be appreciated and I enjoyed finding out for you.  Just dead nosey really.

Off to watch the final of Strictly Come Dancing now.

Best wishes,
Elizabeth

Offline patrexjax

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 21 December 08 13:35 GMT (UK) »
Hello again Liz! Yes, I'm hot on the trail of the McGachens!  (Thanks to you!)  ;D I thought it was strange that Frederick Stewart McGachen appeared to disappear from England...armed with the information that several of the McGachens travelled back and forth to Canada...I googled Frederick Stewart McGachen's name and PRESTO!  Those wonderful Cheltenham College registers popped up! Sure enough, there is an entry for him stating he was born 1825 "Day Boy"...I don't know if that is a location or a nickname he may have acquired at the school. At any rate, it states he died 18 October 1880 in Ontario, Canada! Therefore, I am assuming (ahem!) that there should be McGachens living in Ontario in the 1881 Canadian census...  Also, there was a child named Laurina McGachen born 24 July 1840 in West Derby, Lancashire, Liverpool area who is on a website showing that she married 28 Feb 1867 at Holy Innocents Church in Liverpool to a gent named Pedro Foulkes who was b. 1839 in Ceara, Brazil..According to the website, they had 6 children and Laurina died 11 April 1910 in Toxeth Park, Lancashire. The website lists various censuses where Laurina was found, except they do not list 1841, 1851 or 1861, which would detail her parents....So, the upshot is that there should be Mc Gachens in Canada, as you suspected!   Later! Pat

Offline Liz in France

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 21 December 08 14:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pat,

Cheltenham College is a very old institution in Chelt.  They took in boarders from all over the world and local boys were 'day boys'.  It is a beautiful setting for a school a very old and majestic building just on the edge of the town centre.  I lived very close to it.  In 1891 Nicholas was living very close to it too, just a couple of minutes away.

Every summer, the grounds are used for the County Cricket Matches and it was the setting for the film (quite old now) 'Goodbye Mr Chips'.

Incidentally, there are a lot of McGachens in the Liverpool, West Derby areas but I did not take much notice of them as I did not think they were directly connected.

I am only doing some transcribing today, so it you want me to look up anything on A******y, I am quite happy to do so.

Best of luck with your Canadian research.

Elizabeth