Author Topic: Spring Gardens, Tamworth  (Read 12523 times)

Offline djdee

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Spring Gardens, Tamworth
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 24 April 11 12:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Teddybear 1843, Re Spring Gardens Tamworth. I have just been looking through a book By John Harper, Tamworth Herald, Tamworth Past and Present, Spring Gardens which stood in what was the paved area of the Gungate Precinct, (which has recently been demolished winter 2010) Spring Gardens was demolished 1959/1960. and many of the former residents were moved to new housing, at Sunset Close, off Lichfield Street, Tamworth. My Grandfather and his wife lived in Hall's Row, off Aldergate which is just round the Old Belle corner, into Aldergate, Tamworth. His Name was Bejamin Wood and his wife Clara, They had nine children.! There are some good photo's of old Tamworth prior to the bulldozers moving in!!! I hope that is of some interest to you if you are doing some research of old Tamworth. Good Luck. djdee

Offline teddybear1843

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 24 April 11 14:57 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that extra bit of information.

The research I was doing, was for a work-mate, so I will pass it on.

Thanks again.

Teddy
 ;)
Bear, Burrows, Burroughs, Goll, Mayes, Yull, Bacon, Harvey, Fenn, Youngman, Jary, Lake, Chesney, Yaxley, Freestone, Briggs, Carrington, Frarey, Blaxter, Bennefer, Gosman, Howard, Wildman, Woodbine, Jessop, Taylor, Walpole, etc etc  all in Norfolk.
Weasenham village history and families connected to the villages of Weasenham All Saints & Saint Peter in Norfolk.  Happy to carry out research in Norfolk.  Please PM for details.

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 24 April 11 16:39 BST (UK) »
Well, I for one wish that the houses were still there, they look a lot better than the Gungate Precinct, now defunct as stated, and the new car park we now have  :)  By the way, the two shops which can be seen top left of the photograph are still there, and the little passageway to the left of them, Little Church Lane, leads into the churchyard.  Tamworth BC should have been hung, drawn and quartered for the modern buildings inflicted on this town, and the sacrilege is continuing   :o :o::) ::)  Rant over now!!!   :-X :-X

BumbleB
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline weste

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 26 April 11 21:29 BST (UK) »
That info re location of halls row tamworth may be useful to me, my gran was born in Halls row in 1907. Thankyou djdee.

Offline djdee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 27 April 11 21:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Weste, Re: Halls Row, Tamworth. It used to stand at the rear of the old Tamworth Herald works when they were in Aldergate. There was The Congregational Chapel, now the (Jahala indian resturant) on the corner of St John Street, then Reddfern and Edge corn merchants. Halls Row was at the rear of these properties. My mothers cousin lived at No 1 St John Street a  corner property,(Edwardian) with no 4 Aldergate. Charles Young, A.K.A (Crim) Crimson, as he was known as, Newsagent, Joke and novelty shop. He joined forces with Job Shipley, from his Church Street shop, he was know as uncle George Shipley. My dads sister used to live in Kirkcowan Terrace, in Hospital Street, at the rear of Lochryan Place. another lot of houses that were demolished!!! I hope this may be of some interest to you.

Offline weste

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 01 May 11 12:28 BST (UK) »
Thanks djdee. That info is useful, one of my sister in laws has promised to take mom on a tour of the area and she does n't know the area. My gran went in and out of the tamworth workhouse and released to the care of her mother. We can tell her family as they went in and out together. I have just realised that the first marriage of her sister ethel gives 2 witnesses and i've discovered it's her mother with a second marriage partner! It was in the oratory at birmingham. I managed to link the first marriage because of the middle name and we already had what we suspected was a first marriage and a child from that. I know have a little avenue to explore as to whether gran's mother's middlename was a second name at birth or baptismal which may track the right florence as being the great grandmother. I'm sending for the second marriage cert of the great grandmother!

Offline djdee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 03 May 11 21:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Weste, Re: the old Tamworth workhouse, It was commonly know as the "Spike" and was on the Wigginton Road, off Comberforford Road, Out of Tamworth on the Ashby Road, go up to the Old Fountain junction oppersite the Grammer School, fork left the turn sharp right into the Wigginton road, new housing complex about 500 yards on left that's where it used to be. After use as the workhouse it was turned into St Editha's Hospital. The facade was preserved and still stands and can be best veiwed from the Comberford Road about 500 from the Ashby Road fork on the right hand side, and forms part of this new housing complex, Nice to see it restored and still in use. If you are not a Tamworth person I hope this info will be of some help to you if you want to visit the site off Comberford Road it it to the rear of Meadowrythe care home for the elderly, Cheer's djdee             

Offline weste

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 03 May 11 21:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks djdee. That will prove very useful i'm sure.

Offline meringueboots

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 04 July 11 09:53 BST (UK) »
My mom has just come back to tamworth after a 32 year absence! She was telling me of a relation who, whilst living in Spring Gardens, had left her child in the pram near to the fire and the child had thrown something out of the pram which caught fire and sadly the child was burned to death.
 :'(
On a lighter note, My mom was born in 'Fisher's Row' Kettlebrook (1932) Does anyone have any photographs? ???

Thanks