Author Topic: Uttleys, Shackletons and Wolfendens  (Read 24228 times)

Offline AiredalePete

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Uttleys, Shackletons and Wolfendens
« on: Saturday 20 December 08 04:15 GMT (UK) »
"You should only research your direct line", says my dad. 'Piffle', says I, 'I'm having as much fun researching sideways as I am researching upwards. And anyway, I'm more likely to find someone who's still breathing!'

One gloomy Monday morning a couple of years ago, one of my work colleagues from another department came to ask me for a quick photocopying job and whilst the machine was processing the job, we got talking (as you do) about what we had been getting up to over the weekend.

"Nothing much", I replied, "Mostly researching my family tree."

"Is it a big tree?" he asked.

"Biggish," I replied. "Come to think of it, I have ancestors in your neck of the woods. You live at Mytholmroyd and I had family living at Heptonstall."

"Whereabouts at Heptonstall?"

"They had a farm on Wadsworth Moor. It was called 'Good Greave."

"Get away!" he replied, "I have ancestors who also lived at Good Greave. They were called Utley or Uttley and they were yeoman farmers. Some of them broke away from the main family and established the suburb of Uttley near Keighley'.

This last bit of information sparked off an entirely different conversation because I was once the local beat bobby for Uttley and Beechcliffe and I know the area well.

More interestingly, however, was the possibility that we might be related and we have spent the past two years researching that possibility. Until we discover what our exact relationship is, we are content to address one another as 'Uncle', he being at leat two years older than me.

My great grandmother was Mary Ellen WOLFENDEN, born in 1868 in Barnoldswick, the daughter of John WOLFENDEN (1830 - 27/1/1886) and Hannah BAILEY (1836 - 27/3/1911). Mary Ellen was the fifth child, her siblings being:

Thomas (b.28/8/1854 in Paythorne near Gisburn)
Mary Isabella (b.1/8/1857 in Paythorne)
Sarah Cowgill (b. app. 1863 in Todmorden)
James (b.1864 in Barnoldswick) and
Annie Jane (b.1872 in Wadsworth)

The farm at Good Greave comprised at least three dwellings, high on the moor above Heptonstall and in a neighbouring property lived the SHACKLETONS. On the 15th of December, 1873, Thomas SHACKLETON (1842 - 1892) married his neighbour's daughter, Mary Isabella WOLFENDEN, my Great, Great Aunt.

The 1871 census indicates that on the night of the 2nd April 1871, those present at the SHACKLETON residence were:

John Hargreaves 48  Yorkshire, England Servant  Wadsworth  Yorkshire
Sarah Ann Shackleton 32  Yorkshire, England Sister  Wadsworth  Yorkshire
Thos Shackleton 28  Yorkshire, England Head  Wadsworth  Yorkshire
Jane Uttley 67  Yorkshire, England Aunt  Wadsworth  Yorkshire
John Wigley 16  Yorkshire, England Servant  Wadsworth  Yorkshire

Address: Good Greave, Wadsworth, Ecclesiastical District of St Thomas,Heptonstall

We therefore have a link with the UTTLEYs through Jane, who, in 1861 was shown as the Head of the household at another neighbouring farm, along with Sarah Ann SHACKLETON, her 22 year old unmarried niece (and Thomas SHACKLETON's sister) and Rich HARTLEY, Jane's 50 year old brother - Jane being 61 at this time.

Jane HARTLEY (b.2/4/1802) turned out to be the sister of Thomas SHACKLETON's mother, Hannah Elizabeth HARTLEY (24/4/1813 - 18/5/1881). Jane married Michael UTTLEY (b.c. 1776) on December 1st, 1829 in Halifax.

My work colleague, whose name I cannot disclose without his permission, has the following UTTLEYs in his tree:

Abraham (Chr. 1772)
Betty (Chr. 1771)
Betty (Chr. 1778)
Betty (1781 - 1857)
Grace (Chr. 1778)
Grace (b.1784)
John (Chr. 1766)
Jonathan (Chr. 1776)
Jonathan (Chr. 1744)
Martha (Chr. 1779)
Michael (Chr. 1772)
Sally (Chr. 1776)
Sarah (Chr. 1775) and
Susan (Chr.1775)

The challenge confronting my friend and me is to discover which of the above UTTLEYs in his tree was related to Michael UTTLEY (born around 1776) in my tree. It's a shame that the two Michaels were not born and christened the other way around, in 1772 and 1776 respectively.

Part of the problem is that the small town of Heptonstall, which prior to the Industrial Revolution was a thriving agricultural centre, was absolutely awash with SHACKLETONs and UTTLEYs. There were scores of them and they shared similar names. It must have been a nightmare for anyone delivering mail.

One day, I am optimistic that we shall discover our exact relationship. For the time being though, we are content to perpetuate our long standing - and to our colleagues, very confusing - joke of addressing one another as 'Uncle'.

Baguley, Bargh, Boulby, Broadbent, Crabtree, Dearden, Earnshaw, Greenwood, Hanson,  Hardy, Heap, Murgatroyd, Nash, Robinson, Shackleton, Sunderland, Taylor, Uttley, Veevers, Whitaker, Wilkinson, Wolfenden

Offline dave the tyke

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Uttleys, Shackletons and Wolfendens
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 23 December 08 18:06 GMT (UK) »
Interesting - my lot lived just over the hill in Haworth. I have Utleys, Shackletons and Hartleys. -
John Hartley 1824 married Susy Bland
Elizabeth Hartley abt 1830 married Humphrey Wood
James Hartley 1859 married Mary Sunderland
John Utley abt 1793 married Hannah Bland
Michael Shackleton 1848 married Hannah Robinson
Paul Shackleton 1841 married Mary Wood
Emma Shackleton 1877 married Jonas Thornton
I have had Good Greave come up in my research but at the moment I don't remember the context (old timers disease), I'll have to look back through my notes for that one.
Are any of mine related ? or do any of yours have Haworth connections ?

Dave
Bland, Greenwood Bland, Ellis, Benn, Woodhead, Priestley, Illingworth, Lightowler, Platts, Boys, Bradley, O'Hara, Hall<br /><br />Areas -  North Bierley, Northowram, West Bowling, Horton, Shelf, Allerton, Queensbury, Haworth, Ovenden, Halifax, Luddenden, Midgley, Elland, Littleborough

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline AiredalePete

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 23 December 08 21:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dave

Thank you for the information.

What you have told me is potentially very interesting and it has certainly given me lots more to research this evening.

I will of course keep you posted if you turn out to be another of my uncles. :)

My great grandmother on my father's side was Sarah Ann SUNDERLAND (1856 in Haworth - 1934) who married Samuel ROBINSON (1850 - 1929).

Baguley, Bargh, Boulby, Broadbent, Crabtree, Dearden, Earnshaw, Greenwood, Hanson,  Hardy, Heap, Murgatroyd, Nash, Robinson, Shackleton, Sunderland, Taylor, Uttley, Veevers, Whitaker, Wilkinson, Wolfenden

Offline dave the tyke

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 23 December 08 22:58 GMT (UK) »
I have long had it in my mind that villages in close proximity to each other would have provided potential brides and grooms so as to avoid incestuous relationships.
Haworth, Heptonstall, Blackshaw Head, Stanbury, Oxenhope etc might well have had such a relationship to each other.
There is a PM in your in-box

Dave
Bland, Greenwood Bland, Ellis, Benn, Woodhead, Priestley, Illingworth, Lightowler, Platts, Boys, Bradley, O'Hara, Hall<br /><br />Areas -  North Bierley, Northowram, West Bowling, Horton, Shelf, Allerton, Queensbury, Haworth, Ovenden, Halifax, Luddenden, Midgley, Elland, Littleborough

Offline dave the tyke

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 28 December 08 15:19 GMT (UK) »
Still no nearer connecting your ancestors but I found this postcard.
On the back is written in the same hand as the front -
Miss M. Shackleton
April 3rd 1924
nothing else

Offline AiredalePete

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 28 December 08 21:40 GMT (UK) »
Dave, thank you for posting this photograph. I do love a good mystery.

1924 is a little too recent for researching the occupants of the pub via the censuses, so perhaps a trade directory might be available...

I wonder if the pub is still there...

I wonder which Miss M. Shackleton is referred to in the handwriting...

Offline dave the tyke

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 28 December 08 23:50 GMT (UK) »
From Malcolm Bulls Calderdale Companion
1905 - 1917 Joshua Shackleton - Landlord (I think I have the name and dates right but please check).
As far as I know the pub is still there, my parents used to visit in the 60's

Dave

Offline AiredalePete

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 29 December 08 06:36 GMT (UK) »
I'm delighted to find that Malcolm Bull's Calderdale Companion is still in existence, having been threatened with closure last October when AOL Homepage was discontinued.

What a treasure trove of information it contains!

I notice that the address of the pub is now 'Wainstalls Lane, Lower Saltonstall' and that the pub itself is associated with an interesting local legend...

http://freepages.history.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~calderdalecompanion/p200_c.html

Here's the pub more recently...

Offline madpants

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 07 January 09 13:57 GMT (UK) »
Just to add a few more into the mix

Hannah Uttley (1838) Heptonstall married Gregory Ackroyd Hodgson in 1863, when he died she married John Sunderland born Stansfield approx 1824

Do these ring any bells?

I think her parents may be John and Grace Uttley of Old Gate, Hebden Bridge

just to add another name that has already been mentioned too  :)  Thomas Henry Sutcliffe (my GG Grandfather) married Mary Jane (Polly) Hartley granddaughter of King Coiner David Hartley
GREENWELL - Middlesbrough
TURNBULL - Houghton le Spring, Coxhoe, Spennymoor
DEVEY - Pentonville, Stockton, M'bro
MOHAN/HUN - Stockton on Tees
SCRAFTON - Darlington
BROADBENT - Saddleworth, Ashton Under Lyne
HEMSWELL - Grantham, M'bro
SIMPKINS - M'bro
SIMPKIN - Little Wratting, Suffolk
MALLALIEU - Saddleworth, Ashton U L
GOODWIN - Macclesfield Forest
SUTCLIFFE - Heptonstall, Ashton U L