Author Topic: Whitley House - Whitley Bay  (Read 9733 times)

Offline peter brownlee

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Whitley House - Whitley Bay
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 21 December 08 21:39 GMT (UK) »
Hello TracyW
Lloyd's Captains list index gives only one William Petersen with a British master's certificate issued at South Shields 1884. He was born in St Jorgensborg Denmark in 1854. This may be your man.
Peter

Offline shooby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Northumberland Village Homes School for Girls 1901
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 21 October 10 22:31 BST (UK) »
Hello Michael, I wonder if you could help me.  I have been reading your responses re whitley with interest.  Do you know anything about the Northumberland Village Home for Girls or where I can get information on it/resident?  I think my great aunt might have been there age 11 1901.   
Thanks.

Once I saw the names of pubs, I was hooked.

Starting as things are today, in very centre of Whitley Bay, on Whitley Road
( the bit that was once called Front St)..

Woolworths ( ahhh ! ) is at number 238. Next, moving westwards, set slightly back off the road is a pub called the Fire Station. Then at 244 is pub The Bedroom ( this was once the Victoria- the Vic'- (C1901 4805-73-40)).

Covering the numbers 246-248 is a building with front facade showing "NEW COLISEUM", containing two shops, Greggs the baker and travel agent "Going Places". Then a handful of shops until corner of Whitley Rd and Park Avenue.

On the opposite corner is pub Dundee's, once called the Ship (  Closeby is the Fat Ox. (C1901 4805-72-38)

Back to the New Coliseum building. Originally on this site a theatre called the Coliseum, was built in 1910. The site had been the garden of a house called WHITLEY HOUSE, which at the time was  the home of the Whitley Unionist Club.  

In 1919 the theatre was converted into a cinema, then in 1971 into a Bingo Hall.

I don't know if it was the front or back garden of the house. But today not very far away on South Parade ( number 30 ) is Whitley House, home of the Whitley Bay Conservative Club.

And how is this for coincidence... On Census 1901 the Victoria is at schedule 244 (4805-73-40). Today the Bedroom, nee Victoria is at 244 Whitley road
--------------------------------------
Three streets converge at the front of Whitley Bay's Metro Station ( ex-railway station... Victoria Terrace, TREWITT RD and Station Road

Michael Dixon
Barber, Campbell, Dickinson, Campbell Dickinson, Johnstone, Obee, Pedder, Sedge, Shepherd,

Offline amelinixon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Whitley House - Whitley Bay
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 01 March 16 13:48 GMT (UK) »
Northumberland Village Homes is now a retirement village. Was a once a home for girls.