Author Topic: early 1800's Pearson marriage-South Shields  (Read 4295 times)

Offline WolfieSmith

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: early 1800's Pearson marriage-South Shields
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 28 December 08 23:29 GMT (UK) »
John, Joseph, Catherine and William were all baptised in South Shields after 1812. Records after 1812 only show baptism date, mothers first name, fathers full name and occupation, and where they lived.  So only father Josephs full name and occupation - Blacksmith, and mother Margarets first name are recorded.
Baptism records from 1798 to 1812 were far more detailed, showing birth date, number of child (eg 2nd daughter) mothers name and maiden name, fathers name and occupation, where they lived, and mothers and fathers native parish (although this was patchy).
The 1851 census records that Joseph Pearson was from Newburn, and his wife Margaret was from Hartley. Assuming that this is correct, then it tallies in with the baptism records for South Shields, from 1804 to 1812 for the earlier children of Joseph Pearson, recorded as native of Newburn, and Margaret Mustard, recorded as native of Hartley, on at least 2 of the baptisms I checked.

Alan.
Northumberland - Smith, Willis,
Durham - Rogerson, Child
Cumberland - Irving, Hill
North Yorkshire - Layfield,
Ireland - Collins

Offline diroka

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 29 December 08 00:52 GMT (UK) »
Wow!! thanks for that information. I was not aware of any of that. Is there a CD of the South Shields records available for purchase? There are many of my husband's family that are from that area.
I really appreciate your hard work for me. It adds a great deal to this line.
Kathy

Offline WolfieSmith

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 29 December 08 21:38 GMT (UK) »
South Shields parish records, plus lots of other Northumberland and Durham parish records are on line at :

http://search.labs.familysearch.org

Europe

England, Diocese of Durham Bishops Transcripts

No indexes, have to be manually searched, often mixed up by date, but still a massive boon for research.

Alan.
Durham - Rogerson, Child
Ireland - Collins

Offline diroka

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 30 December 08 00:37 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that information.
A couple of days ago I was looking up some records and ran across someplace that had marriage CD's for sale on the Greatham area. My husband asked that I wait until payday to order them and now I cannot find them. Do you have any idea where I could look? I think I must have looked everywhere except where they are actually at... <<smile>>
Kathy

Offline WolfieSmith

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 30 December 08 05:59 GMT (UK) »
Not sure about CD's although I'm sure someone on here will be able to point you in the right direction.

Greatham marriages (1564-1837) are indexed on Genuki at the following link  :

http://genuki.cs.ncl.ac.uk/Transcriptions/DUR/GRE.html

Greatham BMD's (1769-1856) are free to browse and view at the familysearch site in the link attached previously. There may be some gaps, but you may be lucky.

Alan.
Durham - Rogerson, Child
Ireland - Collins

Offline diroka

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 30 December 08 06:08 GMT (UK) »
Alan, you are wonderful. I am amazed at the amount of info/knowledge you have. Thank you.
I have added a few major pieces to my tree plus a few more puzzles, as well. This just adds to the excitement. Too bad that Pearson is such a common name. Question: Why would Joseph Pearson say he was from South Shields and then say he was from Newburn, Northumberland? aren't they in totally different areas?
Kathy

Offline WolfieSmith

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 30 December 08 06:46 GMT (UK) »
You get a lot of inaccuracies in the census and parish records. Ages can be miles off, childrens places of birth can be miles off. If you've got 10 kids and move every 6 months chasing work, its easy to forget where one or two were born.
Also the census form may be filled in by one person on behalf of many. May not know, or be bothered to find out, all the facts. Sometimes they seem to make them up. Also place of origin on parish records seems to be interpreted a few ways - place you were born, place you were baptised, place you were brought up, place you lived most of your life, parish you were born, village you were born etc. Need multiple corroboration to be certain of anything.
In this case its Margaret who was stated to be from Shields on the 1861 census. The form was probably answered / filled out by her daughter Catherine, who was head of household, who was born in Shields. Margaret was 80 and had obviously lived in Shields for many years. The 1851 census form was probably answered / filled out by Joseph, who was head of household then, may have had better info, or just took more time and care in filling the form out.

Alan.
Durham - Rogerson, Child
Ireland - Collins

Offline diroka

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 01 January 09 00:23 GMT (UK) »
That makes a lot of sense. I never bothered to actually sit down and even think about how its done. I understood how names were misspelled. Many times people didn't know how to read or write and so the census taker had to attempt to spell difficult names and often spelled them by how they sounded... I have been very fortunate to have people living for many years in the same village. Thanks for finding Joseph and Margaret in the 1851 census. Another person and I were both looking for them and couldn't no matter how hard we looked. And the fact that John Walton, aged 7, was living with them only corroborated who they were.
Thanks for all of your help.
Kathy

Offline diroka

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 22 February 16 01:18 GMT (UK) »
I haven't replied to this post for some time but am all confused again. I put Margaret Mustard down as wife of Joseph Pearson... all 8 of the children made sense by birth date; Joseph (father of all the children was a blacksmith); wife was Margaret.. first set of 4 girls lists their mother as Margaret Mustard. Nothing for the last 4. I have all that information. I recently received an email from the descendants of one of the first 4 girls who stated that the last 4 children do not belong to their Margaret Mustard. They know who their relatives are and they are not my 4... so do I take their word for it? So now do I try to hunt for another Margaret (so many to choose from) or just drop it and not go any further? Looking for some advice.
Thanks for any advice you can send my way...
Kathy