Author Topic: Newmills Presbyterian Church goers  (Read 12890 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Newmills Presbyterian Church goers
« Reply #9 on: Monday 23 May 11 14:07 BST (UK) »
It was KatC who started this thread and was looking for details for Newmills Presbyterian Church near Portadown. Hopefully she'll soon see gbrown's offer to help with information on the families from this congregation.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline KatC

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 23 May 11 14:39 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for offering to contact people.  I am trying to follow  Doaks right now and waiting for a partial listing of Newmills baptisms and/or marriages to be mailed to me by a friend.  Friends have provided tons of help with Wilsons, McClearys (including Zeke), Browns, and Maxwells, but the names you name are still elusive. 

When I have gleaned what I can from the baptism/marriage records, I would love to have you ask the families concerned for corrections or miscellaneous information.  Unfortunately, my grandfather Boyd McC. moved away from Amsterdam,NY,  so I did not grow up knowing the families there and can't share recollections. 

Your new church is absolutely gorgeous on the inside and feels so much like the pictures of the old one on the outside. That was a nice touch.   I especially liked the care taken to provide for  younger folk in the church.

Offline Balnacree

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 29 May 11 17:15 BST (UK) »
I am also trying to find out information on the Fowler family buried at Newmills Presbyterian church.  I have been told that the grave was moved when the entrance to the door of the church was changed.  The headstone which I understand was replaced, just gives the name Fowler but does not say who is in the grave.

If anyone could give me some information regards this it would be much appreciated
Fulton, Christie, Gracey, Jones, Hemphill,

Offline gbrown

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 01 June 11 09:10 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for offering to contact people.  I am trying to follow  Doaks right now and waiting for a partial listing of Newmills baptisms and/or marriages to be mailed to me by a friend.  Friends have provided tons of help with Wilsons, McClearys (including Zeke), Browns, and Maxwells, but the names you name are still elusive. 

When I have gleaned what I can from the baptism/marriage records, I would love to have you ask the families concerned for corrections or miscellaneous information.  Unfortunately, my grandfather Boyd McC. moved away from Amsterdam,NY,  so I did not grow up knowing the families there and can't share recollections. 

Your new church is absolutely gorgeous on the inside and feels so much like the pictures of the old one on the outside. That was a nice touch.   I especially liked the care taken to provide for  younger folk in the church.

No problem Kat C. We're very glad you like the new church - we tried to be consistent with the tradition and scheme of the former church while also taking the opportunity to make things more comfortable/updated/spacious. We have also recently built a new Youth Centre attached to the Campbell Hall beside the Church so we have made a lot of progress in the last 10 years. We have also seen numbers increase - but still have a strong base of families who have been coming to the Church for generations.

If you are in contact with Zeke McCleary you are definitely speaking to the right person. They're won't be much he doesn't know about the past and the present.

There are two Doak families at the Church and two Doake families. Bertie Wilson is one of the Elders and I know his family roots are deep in the church/area. There are at least 3 other Wilson families.

There are six Harrison families, ten Calvert families, nine Chambers families and one McIlwaine family.

If you would like to send me a personal message or reply with your name and some more specifics of your family and who you are trying to trace I would be happy to try to find out more information.

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 13 June 11 23:18 BST (UK) »
Hi there, couldn't help but notice your display name "gbrown" - do you know of any Newmills Browns in the 1800s? I have friends in Texas who were over last year searching for Samuel, James/John and Sarah Brown, all born about 1865-75, to a Samuel Brown - the mother was a Waring.

Offline KatC

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 14 June 11 00:18 BST (UK) »
Eliza Waring was widowed when she married Samuel and her father was Thomas McDowell.  Samuel was also a widower and his father was George Brown.  The marriage was on Mar 14, 1866.  All per familysearch.

As a completely wild guess I would look at Thomas McDowell with wife possibly Emma who had son Thomas in 1842.  He looks like he might live in the right area at the right time.  Griffiths would help.   

Offline KatC

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 14 June 11 01:45 BST (UK) »
There is a birth of Mary Ann Warren to John Warren and Betty Jane McDowell March 3, 1864. 

Thomas McDowell,  also spelled McDole, was married to Emily.  They lived in Clare, Co Down and birth records also say  Ballynagarrick.  Thomas probably died 1862 in Clare at the age of 57.  Nevertheless he might be in Ballynagarrick in Griffiths.  I can find births of Thomas, Hannah, and Mary Ann, but not Betty Jane.   So, it is not clear he is the right father.  There is a Maria McEke?,  dau of Thomas McDowell of Clare buried at Knocknamuckley in 1935 which might mean something to your friend. 

Newmills records have at least 2 children's baptisms  for Samuel and Betty Jane Brown.  I have yet to see a reference to George or Samuel's earlier marriage.

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 14 June 11 04:15 BST (UK) »
Thanks KatC, you've got the right folk!

I'll email you about it - you know me! :)

Offline wakaepa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 09 September 15 10:20 BST (UK) »
I have just found this thread which I hope someone from the Newmills church is still following :)
My great grandparents, Samuel Wilson (1837-1920approx) and Esther Leathem were married at Newmills Presbyterian Church, Portadown on 27thAugust 1864. Samuel's father was listed as William Wilson, farmer and weaver of Ballydougan and so was Esther's father John Leathem.  Shortly afterwards, they emigrated to NZ sponsored by David Wilson (1826-1911) who was married to Rachel Joyce in the same church in 1859.  I would like to work out the relationship between Samuel and David.  I would also really appreciate a photo of the old church before it burnt down in 2002. Are there any descendants of William Wilson still attending the church?