Author Topic: LEA & HOCKENHULL; c1790s-1900s; Cheshire > Shropshire  (Read 6115 times)

Offline polgara

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
LEA & HOCKENHULL; c1790s-1900s; Cheshire > Shropshire
« on: Sunday 18 April 04 17:59 BST (UK) »
I seek further information on LEA & HOCKENHULL in Cheshire and contact with fellow researchers on the following connected families.

LEA:

First LEA Family:

Thomas LEA, b. c1796 outside of Cheshire and unknown wife/wives had following children:

James, b. c1826, outside Cheshire.
Mary, b. c1826, outside Cheshire.
John, b. c1829, Cheshire.
Hannah, b. c1832, Cheshire.
Phoebe, b. c1834, Wrenbury, Cheshire; m. John HOCKENHULL of Wrenbury.
Martha, b. c1836, Cheshire.
Ellen, b. c1837, Cheshire.

This family is confirmed in the 1841 census in Wrenbury-cum-Frith, Cheshire, England.

Second LEA Family:

Thomas LEA married Martha ROBINSON, 1829, Audlem, Cheshire.  Their son:

John LEA, b. c1830, Audlem, m. Elizabeth HOCKENHULL b. c1835, 1854, Wrenbury, Cheshire.  Their children:

Mary, b. 1855, Wrenbury; m. Joseph GREEN.
Elizabeth, b. 1857, Wrenbury, d. 1882; m. Charles BARNETT, 1882, Ellesmere, Shropshire.
Sarah Ann, b. 1860, Bunbury; m. Joseph Thomas LUNT of Flint, Wales, 1889 in Middle, Shropshire.
Martha, b. 1862; d. 1869.
Jane, b. 1865, Bunbury; m. John HOCKENHULL of Wrenbury, 1886, Nantwich, Cheshire.
Ellen, b. 1868, Baddiley; m. John MORGAN, 1888, Ellesmere, Shropshire.
Thomas, b. 1870, Baddiley; d. 1953.
John Jr., b. 1871; d. 1872.
James, b. 1872; m(1) Hannah FORRESTER of Wem, Shropshire, 1894, Wem.  Migrated to Canada and married three more times.  He his my great-great grandfather.
Catherine, b. 1875, Baddiley.

The John & Elizabeth (HOCKENHULL) LEA family is confirmed in following censues:

1881, Blackhurst Farm, Baddiley, Cheshire.
1891, Sleap Hall, Middle, Shropshire.
1901, Tilstock Village, Whitchurch, Shropshire.

HOCKENHULL:

First HOCKENHULL Family:

James HOCKENHULL and unknown wife had following child:

Elizabeth, b. c 1835, Wrenbury, Cheshire.

Second HOCKENHULL Family:

James HOCKENHULL, b. c1791 m. Betty (HOCKENHULL), b. c1796.  They had at least the following children:

William, b. c1821, Cheshire.
Mary, b. c1826, Cheshire.
Elizabeth, b. c1834, Cheshire.
John, b. c1837, Wrenbury, Cheshire.

This family is confirmed in the 1841 Census in Wrenbury-cum-Frith, Cheshire.

John HOCKENHULL (above), b. c1837, Wrenbury; m. Phoebe LEA (above, daughter of Thomas LEA and unknown wife).  They had the following children:

Thomas, b. c1861, Wrenbury, Cheshire.
John, b. c1863, Wrenbury; m. Jane LEA (above, daughter of John LEA & Elizabeth HOCKENHULL), c1886, Nantwich, Cheshire.
George, b. c1865, Wrenbury.
William, b. c1867, Wrenbury.
Samuel, b. c1869, Wrenbury.
Elizabeth, b. c1870.
Alfred, b. c1872, Wrenbury.

Above family confirmed in following censues:

1881, Wrenbury Frith Farm, Wrenbury-cum-Frith, Cheshire.
(1881, Alfred HOCKENHULL in the Manchester School for the Deaf and Dumb in Stretford, Lancashire, England.)
1891, Frith Farm, Wrenbury-cum-Frith, Cheshire.

I have a hunch that James HOCKENHULL, who married Betty (HOCKENHULL) is the father to both John HOCKENHULL who married Phoebe LEA *and* Elizabeth HOCKENHULL who married John LEA.  I also have a hunch that Thomas LEA, who married Martha ROBINSON is the father to both Phoebe LEA *and* John LEA.  Martha ROBINSON may not be the mother to Thomas's older children, James, b. c1826 & Mary, b. c1826. 

Would love to find the clues that prove this!

Any assistance is very much appreciated.  Please contact me at
Moderator Comment: Email Address Removed to avoid Spamming - use a Personal Message to contact this user

Cheers,

Laury Walkey

Moderator Comment: Email Address Removed to avoid Spamming - use a Personal Message to contact this user

BC, Canada

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline peterbennett

• Deceased Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Samuel if ever an Ag Lab looked like one it was he
    • View Profile
Re:LEA & HOCKENHULL; c1790s-1900s; Cheshire > Shropshire
« Reply #1 on: Monday 14 June 04 15:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Laura
             I have been doing a search of the Nantwich district 1851 census and noticed some Lea and Hockenhall families if you don't have the 1851 details I could extract them for you. Let me know ?

regards

peterbennett
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright
www.NationalArchives.gov.uk
Cheshire BMD  www.cheshirebmd.org.uk/
Cheshire Wills database http://www.cheshire.gov.uk/recordoffice/wills/Search.htm
Cheshire family history society  www.fhsc.org.uk/
Cheshire Records Office http://www.cheshire.gov.uk/Recordoffice/aboutus/recoffcontact.tm

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Bennett/,Whaley,Chesh/Lancs, Brindley Staffs

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.