Author Topic: LEA & HOCKENHULL; c1790s-1900s; Cheshire > Shropshire  (Read 10613 times)

Offline polgara

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
LEA & HOCKENHULL; c1790s-1900s; Cheshire > Shropshire
« on: Sunday 18 April 04 18:01 BST (UK) »
I seek further information on LEA & HOCKENHULL in Cheshire and contact with fellow researchers on the following connected families.

LEA:

First LEA Family:

Thomas LEA, b. c1796 outside of Cheshire and unknown wife/wives had following children:

James, b. c1826, outside Cheshire.
Mary, b. c1826, outside Cheshire.
John, b. c1829, Cheshire.
Hannah, b. c1832, Cheshire.
Phoebe, b. c1834, Wrenbury, Cheshire; m. John HOCKENHULL of Wrenbury.
Martha, b. c1836, Cheshire.
Ellen, b. c1837, Cheshire.

This family is confirmed in the 1841 census in Wrenbury-cum-Frith, Cheshire, England.

Second LEA Family:

Thomas LEA married Martha ROBINSON, 1829, Audlem, Cheshire.  Their son:

John LEA, b. c1830, Audlem, m. Elizabeth HOCKENHULL b. c1835, 1854, Wrenbury, Cheshire.  Their children:

Mary, b. 1855, Wrenbury; m. Joseph GREEN.
Elizabeth, b. 1857, Wrenbury, d. 1882; m. Charles BARNETT, 1882, Ellesmere, Shropshire.
Sarah Ann, b. 1860, Bunbury; m. Joseph Thomas LUNT of Flint, Wales, 1889 in Middle, Shropshire.
Martha, b. 1862; d. 1869.
Jane, b. 1865, Bunbury; m. John HOCKENHULL of Wrenbury, 1886, Nantwich, Cheshire.
Ellen, b. 1868, Baddiley; m. John MORGAN, 1888, Ellesmere, Shropshire.
Thomas, b. 1870, Baddiley; d. 1953.
John Jr., b. 1871; d. 1872.
James, b. 1872; m(1) Hannah FORRESTER of Wem, Shropshire, 1894, Wem.  Migrated to Canada and married three more times.  He his my great-great grandfather.
Catherine, b. 1875, Baddiley.

The John & Elizabeth (HOCKENHULL) LEA family is confirmed in following censues:

1881, Blackhurst Farm, Baddiley, Cheshire.
1891, Sleap Hall, Middle, Shropshire.
1901, Tilstock Village, Whitchurch, Shropshire.

HOCKENHULL:

First HOCKENHULL Family:

James HOCKENHULL and unknown wife had following child:

Elizabeth, b. c 1835, Wrenbury, Cheshire.

Second HOCKENHULL Family:

James HOCKENHULL, b. c1791 m. Betty (HOCKENHULL), b. c1796.  They had at least the following children:

William, b. c1821, Cheshire.
Mary, b. c1826, Cheshire.
Elizabeth, b. c1834, Cheshire.
John, b. c1837, Wrenbury, Cheshire.

This family is confirmed in the 1841 Census in Wrenbury-cum-Frith, Cheshire.

John HOCKENHULL (above), b. c1837, Wrenbury; m. Phoebe LEA (above, daughter of Thomas LEA and unknown wife).  They had the following children:

Thomas, b. c1861, Wrenbury, Cheshire.
John, b. c1863, Wrenbury; m. Jane LEA (above, daughter of John LEA & Elizabeth HOCKENHULL), c1886, Nantwich, Cheshire.
George, b. c1865, Wrenbury.
William, b. c1867, Wrenbury.
Samuel, b. c1869, Wrenbury.
Elizabeth, b. c1870.
Alfred, b. c1872, Wrenbury.

Above family confirmed in following censues:

1881, Wrenbury Frith Farm, Wrenbury-cum-Frith, Cheshire.
(1881, Alfred HOCKENHULL in the Manchester School for the Deaf and Dumb in Stretford, Lancashire, England.)
1891, Frith Farm, Wrenbury-cum-Frith, Cheshire.

I have a hunch that James HOCKENHULL, who married Betty (HOCKENHULL) is the father to both John HOCKENHULL who married Phoebe LEA *and* Elizabeth HOCKENHULL who married John LEA.  I also have a hunch that Thomas LEA, who married Martha ROBINSON is the father to both Phoebe LEA *and* John LEA.  Martha ROBINSON may not be the mother to Thomas's older children, James, b. c1826 & Mary, b. c1826. 

Would love to find the clues that prove this!

Any assistance is very much appreciated.  Moderator Comment: Email address removed - reply to message or use Personal Messaging facility on RootsChat
Cheers,

Laury Walkey
Moderator Comment: Email address removed - reply to message or use Personal Messaging facility on RootsChat
BC, Canada

Offline Robert F

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: LEA & HOCKENHULL; c1790s-1900s; Cheshire > Shropshire
« Reply #1 on: Monday 28 August 06 21:11 BST (UK) »
I am new to this website but found your note very interesting and I will try and do some work on it:

My family are from this area:

- Forresters were from Prees/Wem/Hodnet area of Shropshire from 1700 and still are. I cannot see a direct link to Hannah yet but will go through my records.

- My gran's family were all from Wrenbury, Cheshire (Morrey family) and I am sure my Dad will now the Hockenulls. Indeed even I can remember this family owning a farm around there since I remember being on the lorry as a kid when picking the milk up as a dairy far.

I will see what I can dig up and will be in touch. Perhaps you have some more information on Hannah that may help?

Thanks

Robert
Forrester- Shropshire, Gough - Manchester and Boonville, Indiana, Morrey - Cheshire, Ryder - Shropshire

Offline polgara

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 23 September 06 19:09 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Thanks for responding to my query.

Here's what I have on Hannah FORRESTER:

Ancestors of Hannah (*) FORRESTER

Generation No. 1

1.  Hannah (*) FORRESTER, born 20 October 1876 in Wem, Shropshire, England; died 06 October 1910 in Trochu, AB, Canada.  She was the daughter of 2. William (*) FORRESTER and 3. Anne (*) (FORRESTER).  She married (1) James (*) LEA 14 February 1894 in Wem, Shropshire, England.  He was born 14 November 1872 in Baddiley, Cheshire, England, and died 22 November 1956 in St. Mary's Hospital, Trochu, AB, Canada.  He was the son of John (*) LEA and Elizabeth (*) HOCKENHULL.

Generation No. 2

2.  William (*) FORRESTER, born Abt. 1827 in Wem, Shropshire,
                     England.  He married 3. Anne (*) (FORRESTER).
   3.  Anne (*) (FORRESTER), born Abt. 1828 in Wem, Shropshire,         
                     England.

Children of William FORRESTER and Anne (FORRESTER) are:
      i.   Dolly FORRESTER, born Abt. 1871 in Newcastle,
                                                Staffordshire, England.
   1   ii.   Hannah (*) FORRESTER, born 20 October 1876
                                                in Wem, Shropshire, England; died 06 October   
                                                1910 in Trochu, AB, Canada; married James (*)
                                                 LEA 14 February 1894 in Wem, Shropshire,
                                                 England.
      iii.   John FORRESTER

Hannah and her family are known to have lived at Tilley Farm from at least 1881 to 1891 and by the 1901 census she was in Loppington Village.

The census records show an interesting possible discrepancy that may be a clue to the family composition:  In 1881 Hannah is aged 5 and listed as a niece and Mary BENNETT, aged 10, is listed as a daughter of William and Anne FORRESTER.  In the 1891, Hannah is aged 10 and is listed as a daughter and a Dolly/Polly is aged 20 and also listed as a daughter.  Dolly/Polly's birthplace is listed as Newcastle, Staffordshire.

I hope this info helps in making a possible connection to your FORRESTER family and I would love to hear more about it.  I'm not permitted to give you my email address on this forum, so I hope there is a way that you can contact me one-on-one to share more information.

Cheers,

Laury

Offline Robert F

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 23 September 06 21:33 BST (UK) »
Dear Laury

It certainly would be good to compare notes. The bad news is I cannot see a link to my family but we talking 8 miles from where my family are and were based going back 300 years!

Robrt
Forrester- Shropshire, Gough - Manchester and Boonville, Indiana, Morrey - Cheshire, Ryder - Shropshire

Offline polgara

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 11 December 06 04:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Robert,

I'm sorry for not getting back to this board sooner, but if I don't receive contact by emails, I don't think to check the board very often.

I've found some new information on my FORRESTER family that might be helpful:

Descendants of John (Sr) (*) FORRESTER

Generation No. 1

1.  JOHN (SR) (*)1 FORRESTER was born Abt. 1752 in Shropshire, England.  He married ELIZABETH (*) LEWIS 24 January 1777 in Wem, Shropshire, England.  She was born Abt. 1756 in Shropshire, England.

Children of JOHN FORRESTER and ELIZABETH LEWIS are:
   i.   JOHN (JR)2 FORRESTER, b. Bef. 30 October 1778, Shropshire, England.
   ii.   RICHARD FORRESTER, b. Bef. 03 June 1781, Shropshire, England.
   iii.   SAMUEL FORRESTER, b. Bef. 17 August 1783, Shropshire, England.
   iv.   THOMAS (I) FORRESTER, b. Bef. 24 September 1786, Shropshire, England; d. Bef. 07 August 1791.
   v.   ELIZABETH FORRESTER, b. Bef. 31 May 1789, Shropshire, England.
2.   vi.   THOMAS (II) (*) FORRESTER, b. Bef. 07 August 1791, Wem, Shropshire, England; d. Bef. 1861.
   vii.   SARAH FORRESTER, b. Bef. 08 November 1793.
   viii.   WILLIAM FORRESTER, b. Bef. 25 September 1796, Shropshire, England.

Generation No. 2

2.  THOMAS (II) (*)2 FORRESTER (JOHN (SR) (*)1) was born Bef. 07 August 1791 in Wem, Shropshire, England, and died Bef. 1861.  He married MARY (*) (FORRESTER).  She was born Abt. 1801 in Stanton, Shropshire, England.

Children of THOMAS FORRESTER and MARY (FORRESTER) are:
3.   i.   WILLIAM (*)3 FORRESTER, b. Abt. 1827, Wem, Shropshire, England.
   ii.   JOSEPH FORRESTER, b. Abt. 1836, Wem, Shropshire, England; m. MARY (FORRESTER); b. Abt. 1839, Loppington, Shropshire, England.
   iii.   CHARLES FORRESTER, b. Abt. 1842, Wem, Shropshire, England.
   iv.   EDWIN FORRESTER, b. Abt. 1844, Wem, Shropshire, England; d. Bef. 1891; m. SARAH (FORRESTER); b. Abt. 1850, Baschurch, Shropshire, England.

Generation No. 3

3.  WILLIAM (*)3 FORRESTER (THOMAS (II) (*)2, JOHN (SR) (*)1) was born Abt. 1827 in Wem, Shropshire, England.  He married ANNE (*) (FORRESTER).  She was born Abt. 1828 in Wem, Shropshire, England.

Children of WILLIAM FORRESTER and ANNE (FORRESTER) are:
   i.   POLLY4 FORRESTER, b. Abt. 1871, Newcastle, Staffordshire, England.
   ii.   HANNAH (*) FORRESTER, b. 20 October 1876, Wem, Shropshire, England; d. 06 October 1910, Trochu, AB, Canada; m. JAMES (*) LEA, 14 February 1894, Wem, Shropshire, England; b. 14 November 1872, Baddiley, Cheshire, England; d. 22 November 1956, St. Mary's Hospital, Trochu, AB, Canada.
   iii.   JOHN FORRESTER.

Cheers,

Laury

Dear Laury

It certainly would be good to compare notes. The bad news is I cannot see a link to my family but we talking 8 miles from where my family are and were based going back 300 years!

Robrt

Offline Tiggerwoods

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 19 May 07 10:06 BST (UK) »
Hi

a good few years since you made this post but we only got into the genealogy thing a couple of months back.

Thomas Lea b1870 was my great grandfather.  I have a photo of him and Annie Jane Pitchford if you are interested.

Offline STEPHANIE1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 26 October 08 14:14 GMT (UK) »
my ancestor william lea married sarah palin in 1815 and their son married mary parker , the daughter of elizabeth hockenhull in 1848. there were obviously lots of marriages between the same families in cheshire in those days and i am getting very confused;
can anyone give me guidance!!!

Offline Tiggerwoods

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
LEA & HOCKENHULL; c1790s-1900s; Cheshire > Shropshire
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 26 October 08 17:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Stephanie

The Hockenhulls and Leas were quite prevalent in Cheshire and Shropshire.  Elizabeth Hockenhull was my GGGM but I doubt that she was the only Elizabeth Hockenhull living around that time.  My Elizabeth was born in 1834. She did have a daughter called Mary b. 1855 but Elizabeth's married name was Lea.  I have not come across the surname Parker in my tree I am afraid.  I have also had a quick look at some to the trees of distant cousins but so far no success.  It would be great if we can find a link.  My tree can be viewed through the ancestry site if you want to see it.

Tony

Offline STEPHANIE1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 27 October 08 08:41 GMT (UK) »
hello tony,
   my elizabeth hockenhull b.1802, living in wybunbury had a daughter mary parker (mygg  grandmother ) who married william lea. there's got to be a connection. i'd like to see your tree; is it on ancestry;co;uk, i'm not a member, can i still view it? my tree is on Genes Reunited, if you'd like to see it;
 regards
stephanie