Author Topic: MANN and LOUGHRIE birthplaces  (Read 17833 times)

Offline vossen

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: MANN and LOUGHRIE birthplaces
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 18 July 10 19:38 BST (UK) »
Our Lawrie ancestors came sometime between 1846 adn the 1860s from Ireland back to the Lanarkshire coalmines.  With a long tradition of them being Scots we were surprised to see them listed as from Ireland on the 1871 census... Can you see any connections with your Lawries.

BTW I also found out that a Robert Laurie and his family were granted land to build up the area around Pomeroy during the Ulster Plantations.... no link for me yet...

William LAWRIE was b. Ireland d. 1891 Scotland, son of Joseph LAURIE and Sarah MONTGOMERY/ IE imm. Scotland m. Elizabeth Porter
Elizabeth  PORTER b. Ireland 1820 d. 1864 Cambusnethan.
Known Children of William LAWRIE and Elizabeth PORTER

i.   William JAMES LAWRIE *   Direct Ancestor. b. Ireland c 1845-46imm. to Scotland with parents between 1846 and 1850m. Agnes KENNEDY 1865

Offline stuartk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 16 May 11 07:59 BST (UK) »
Hello  I have in my family tree ,Henry Church Mann married to Margaret Ann Hanson Ellis

A daughter Thomasina was born  January 1st 1874 
Margaret A H Ellis is related to me through the Hanson family does anybody have more info to share. I have info on the Hanson side
 Richard

Offline overmann

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 17 May 11 01:01 BST (UK) »
Hi stuartk

Henry Church Mann and Margaret Anne Hanson Ellis are my gt grandparents.  They had 11 children (that survived to adulthood) - my grandfather John Hercules Ellis Mann emigrated to Australia just before WW1.  Over the intervening century my family lost touch with all the other descendants of Henry and Maggie, until last year when my husband and I began to track them down.  We now have quite a bit of info on Henry and Maggie and their family, but only a tiny amount on the Hanson/Ellis branch.  We would be delighted to share our findings with you.  After you make 2 more posts we can PM you. 

Best wishes, overmann
Ulster - Mann, Ellis, McClusky, Church, Hanson
Essex - Overall, Harvey
Norfolk - Fiddy, Clarke, Grix

Offline stuartk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 17 May 11 01:44 BST (UK) »
Great news to hear from you  I have been researching the 'Hanson family" for many years now and every now and then I have good news like this.

Mary Hanson (daughter of William Hanson and Jane Rankin of Ballylintagh ,Aghadowey Co Derry ,my 4th gt  uncle ) married Daniel Ellis from Crossmancanly .I believe the date was 1845. They both died young as did two of their children. I lost track of Margaret some time ago. Was there a brother James who survived ?
 Margaret is mentioned in  the will of her "aunt Peggy" (for whom she was named) who died in 1863
I send a photo of the Hanson Farm in Macosquin where Margaret's father was born
Look forward to hearing from you

Offline overmann

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 17 May 11 03:40 BST (UK) »
Hi stuartk

Thanks for the photo, it looks like a lovely property.

According to our records Daniel and Mary married on 4 October 1845.  Our records show that Margaret Ellis' siblings, James and Jane,  both died young.  We have no record of another sibling.

If William Hanson is your 4x gt uncle, then would George and Margaret Hanson be our first common ancestors (my 4x gt grandparents)?

Here's a photo of Margaret Anne Hanson Mann (nee Ellis).  My Grandfather carried this photo and a lock of her hair half way around the world with him.  Apparently, she was adored by all her children.

We look forward to swapping more info.
Ulster - Mann, Ellis, McClusky, Church, Hanson
Essex - Overall, Harvey
Norfolk - Fiddy, Clarke, Grix

Offline stuartk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 17 May 11 06:03 BST (UK) »
Dear Overmann   
                        She was very pretty , thank you for the photo

You probably  have this info already from the Coleraine Chronicle

28 aug 1852 on the 24th inst suddenly Mr Daniel Ellis of Gortaclanny Cottage, Kilrea ,aged 32 years ,deeply regretted by a large number of friends

15 Jun 1861
At her residence  Gortaclanny , near Kilrea on the 6th inst Mary relict of the late Daniel Ellis aged 36 years

23rd May 1863
At the residence of his uncle  George Hanson Esq of Ballylintagh on the 14th inst, James, son of the late Mr Daniel Ellis, Gortaclanny

20 feb 1864
at the residence of her uncle George Hanson Esq of Ballylintagh on the 11th inst Jane Rankin eldest daughter of the late Mr Daniel Ellis aged 16 years.
Please let me know if you have this info as I have other death notices for the Ellis family 
I enclose  a picture of the house of George Hanson, remodelled from his father William's house.  He lived here with his wife Isabella Steen .George unfortunately died in 1867 and the house was sold.This is where the unfortunate James and Jane Rankin Ellis died.
George  and Isabella had one surviving daughter whose was also called Jane Rankin.she married but had no children
  Coincidentally the house is now lived in by the Kennedy family who are descendants of Isabella Steen's  second Husband.
I realise I may be giving you information the you already have

It is a pleasure however to share this information with someone
Regards Richard

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 17 May 11 10:41 BST (UK) »
Just to throw in a few more bots-m Thomasina Mann was born 1 Jan.1878 (not 1874)- her sister Mary Mann was born 18 Jan.1874.

The Hanson place at Macleary (in the lovely old phtograph posted here) was knocked down about 10 years ago and a new house built on the site.

I have 4 children listed for Mary Hanson and Daniel Ellis- from information given to me and not verified- James (died 1863), John, Mary Jane (possibly same as Jane Rankin?), Margaret Ann (married Henry Church Mann).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline stuartk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 17 May 11 11:28 BST (UK) »
Hello  This is Richard Kerr here, thanks for the corrections.
 Yes I did know about the house being knocked down in fact when I was there last I couldn't believe it. How can the local council give permission for such destruction ! However they have left the old stables at least and most of the trees.
I also have a record for John Ellis son of Mary Hanson and Daniel Ellis.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 17 May 11 11:56 BST (UK) »
The old house was lovely to look at but not in good shape- I know there was a leak in the kitchen area (coming from the roof and appearing mysteriously on ground floor but unable to find the problem) but can't remember exactly what the other things were (dry rot, wet rot, etc.)

Will contact you later by PM now that you have enough posts.

Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!