Author Topic: Crozier Ewes/Canonbie  (Read 3601 times)

Offline still_looking

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Crozier Ewes/Canonbie
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 19 February 17 20:38 GMT (UK) »
Thomas marries Elizabeth on the 5th February 1847, recorded at Roberton and Yarrow.

Not sure why we have Adam and Margaret Beattie and family travelling in 1833, possibly Adam went ahead if he was there in 1832. Was the son-in-law you mentioned James Sharp?

Any idea what happened to Adam and Margaret's first three children, Isabel, Christian and Jean?

Still looking to see if we can tie William and Christian to anyone further back as well. William's son William is my connection.

You would think it would be an Adam then another William going back. Unfortunately without more about Christian Little its difficult to tell if they did follow a naming convention for the girls as there are plenty of them.

S_L

Offline RoderickWard

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 20 February 17 04:55 GMT (UK) »
Here is the family in 1832 in South Dumfries, Upper Canada (Names except for Adam's weren't given):

Lot 6 Concession 15, 100 acres
Males under 16: 4
Females under 16: 1
Males over 16: 2
Females over 16: 1
Property worth 20 pounds

I hope I haven't gotten the date of the census wrong (I checked the microfilm at the Ontario Archives in my early days of researching the family, when I was not as careful about recording sources as I have learned to be...).

Isabel married William Waldie and presumably came to Canada with him in 1831. (He is the son-in-law who is recorded as having immigrated in 1831.)  Jean married William Hardie. Both families had farms not far from Adam Crozier and Margaret Beattie in Canada. I don't have marriage records for either Isabel or Jean, but the relationships are fairly clear from other evidence, some of which gives their maiden names. I am not sure what happened to Christian.

Mary married her neighbour James Sharp on 24 February 1837. I think James had been a big help to the Croziers in their early years in Canada.

I guess you already know what became of the boys.

BTW, for some reason, I hadn't come across The Cottage Muse. Very interesting.

Offline still_looking

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 21 February 17 21:25 GMT (UK) »
Of the boys (of Adam and Margaret)

I know that William married Margaret Campbell, lived in Canada and had ten children.
Thomas married a Catherine (don't know her maiden surname) and had a family in Downie.
Adam married Margaret Duncan, had a family and lived in North Dumfries.
James married Isabel Burnett and had a family in Dumfries.
John married Janet Wells and also lived in Dumfries where they raised a family.

William Crozier and Christian Little's daughter, Jean, married John Linton but I can't find mention of them after 1800. Any sign of them near the Croziers in Canada? John was a wright, they married in 1796 and had children, John (1797), Christian (1798) and William (1800).

One of the poems in The Cottage Muse is entitled The Emigrant, dated 1823 its a pity that it doesn't say who the emigrant was!

S_L

Offline RoderickWard

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 22 February 17 00:24 GMT (UK) »
The maiden name of Thomas's wife Catherine was Miller.

I had suspected that William and Christian's daughter Jean had married John Linton, but I wasn't sure that it was the same person. I knew Jean had children named John and William, but I had missed Christian.

I hadn't thought of looking before for Lintons in Canada, but after doing a quick search I see that there definitely were Lintons in the immediate area who had been born in Roxburghshire and in Yarrow. I'll see if I can piece anything more definite together.  (In general, immigration from Selkirk and the surrounding area was pretty heavy in that part of Upper Canada.)

Offline still_looking

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 17 March 17 19:51 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I have Govenlock and Flowers connections in Upper Canada as well.

My father found some more details about the Hardy family that may be of interest if you didn't know it already.

Found online Caledon Cemetery, Blandford-Blenheim, Ontario where there are 3 photos of a red granite or sandstone obelisk recording -
"William Hardy died Aug 5th 1888 aged 79 years 7 mos also his wife Jane Crozier died  Aug 9th 1872 aged 62 years and their children John died Aug 27th 1850 aged 5 years 3 mos Mary died Aug 31st 1850 aged 3 years 2 mos 21 d Betsy died June 12th 1887 aged 44 years 3 mos Agnes died Aug 23rd  1850 aged 12 years 9 mos."

After further research on Scotland's People he found a baptism at St Boswells (804-10-132) which reads: "William Hardy son of John Hardy coachman Epilliestoun was born December 24 1808 and Baptized March 16th 1809."

Dates match exactly to age given for William on above gravestone and John was name of his elder son who died.

Epilliestoun was not easy to decipher;  it refers to Ellistoun or in modern usage Elliston which was a mansion house (now a shell, see Canmore,  Scotland's Places or geograph sites for pics and details) and estate just a few miles west of St Boswells.

There was a recent advert for sale of the Coachman's House at Elliston, so it is still standing.

S_L

Offline RoderickWard

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 18 March 17 01:18 GMT (UK) »
Thanks. I hadn't seen the Hardy gravestone.