Author Topic: Rolls Royce Hucknall WW2  (Read 13821 times)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Re: Rolls Royce Hucknall WW2
« Reply #36 on: Saturday 22 July 17 16:31 BST (UK) »
Hello Kelly

Deaths on company premises, might be sensitive and personal and may not have been passed to Archives. You could write to the Head of Human Resources, with some brief information, his name and date of birth and if possible an approximate year of death and/or which Factory.

Big companies had their own Fire Bigade (some also attended and assisted at outside incidents too), ask about their Fire Brigade Logs and the Fire Warden / Fire Watch Duty Log books.

Regards Mark

Offline Kelly1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Saturday 22 July 17 16:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Mark,

I think I will write to them, hopefully they have some information.

Thank you once again for all of your help. You have given me lots of new possible records to try. Hopefully this time I get a bit further with my research. 

Thank you once again it is truly appreciated.

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Thursday 27 July 17 19:12 BST (UK) »
Just been a report on EAST Midlands Today that a memorial was unveiled at Rolls Royce Derby. To the people killed in 1942 when a single airplane dropped one bomb on the factory. Three houses were also damaged.The full story is on the BBC news site .
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline Libralady

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Thursday 27 July 17 19:19 BST (UK) »
Yes that was Derby, the original article was about Hucknall Rolls Royce.......libralady.

Offline Kelly1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Thursday 27 July 17 19:27 BST (UK) »
Just been a report on EAST Midlands Today that a memorial was unveiled at Rolls Royce Derby. To the people killed in 1942 when a single airplane dropped one bomb on the factory. Three houses were also damaged.The full story is on the BBC news site .

Hi Larkspur

Thank you for your reply. I will go and have a look at the BBC News site. My 2x Great Uncle worked at Rolls Royce in 1942, which is also the year he died. However he wasn't killed in a war related incident.

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Thursday 27 July 17 19:28 BST (UK) »
B@gggrrrrr that is me trying to do things on my phone.....never works ☺
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline Shaddyboy37

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Friday 08 December 17 11:44 GMT (UK) »
I found this if it helps the only ppl of hucknall to die in WWII
All five members of the Evans family died when a Fairey Battle light bomber plunged into their home on its way to Hucknall Aerodrome, in September 1940.

They were later buried in a pauper's grave in Hucknall Cemetery.

Campaigner Dorothy Bevins, a distant relative, said about £2,000 is needed for a headstone on the unmarked grave.

Plaque for pilot who died in the house crash
Image caption There is a plaque for the Polish pilot in Hucknall cemetery
Alice and Albert Evans, 28, and their children Ronald, eight, Alice, six, and John, two, died in their home in Laughton Crescent, on the Ruffs Estate.

The Polish pilot was also killed in the crash and buried in Hucknall Cemetery after being given a full military funeral with a headstone provided by the War Graves Commission.

Mrs Bevins said the family, who lived close to the airfield, "paid the ultimate price" and should be commemorated.

Cemetery plot where the family are buried
Image caption Dorothy Bevins wants to buy the unmarked grave and have a gravestone installed
She said: "I want to buy the grave and fit a headstone on it. It's important for the family and for the Hucknall community and our heritage.

"They were the only people in [the town] to be killed during the war."

Alice Braybrook, 94, lived nearby and remembers hearing the huge bang when the plane hit the house.

She said: "I was ironing in the kitchen, I heard this plane coming down and I thought they were dive-bombing.

"[Then] the man next door walked in [covered] in blood."

Mrs Bevins said would also like a memorial service to be held in the family's honour.

Offline Kelly1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Friday 08 December 17 12:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Shaddyboy37

Thank you for your help.

That is also the information that i found.

Kind regards

Kelly