Author Topic: Rolls Royce Hucknall WW2  (Read 13754 times)

Offline stockman fred

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Rolls Royce Hucknall WW2
« Reply #9 on: Monday 09 February 09 19:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I had a quick look in the "The Blitz, then and now" books to see if Hucknall was mentioned in the index but without much success.
 I notice that there is an account of a raid on Rolls-Royce aero-engines at Derby on July 27th 1942 when 22 people were killed.
My Great Uncle spent a lot of time at Hucknall while he was involved in setting up the RAF bomb disposal service. They were responsible for enemy bombs which fell on RAF/AM property, as well as bombs found in crashed aircraft of both sides. According to his map, Hucknall was the base for No.13 BD Squad of the RAF which had a satellite unit at Swinderby (52 Squad). The RAF Squads came into force from early 1941, so it might be possible to find the unit records at the PRO.
Fred

Offline Kelly1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 09 February 09 19:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Fred,

Thank you for looking in the "The Blitz, then and now" book.

I contacted Rolls royce at Derby and they told me that RR was bombed on 27th July 1942. Unfortunately, they couldn't find any information comcerning my Great grandfathers brothers.

Thank you once again for your help, it is truly appreciated.

Kind regards

Kelly.

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 10 February 09 14:21 GMT (UK) »

"One of my Great Aunts is actually adopted and she is the daughter of one of my Great Grandfathers brothers. The problem is my Great Aunt doesn't know which of the brothers was my other Great Aunts father.
All my Great Aunt can remember is her uncle died and then my Great Grandparents adopted his daughter.
No one in the family can remember which of the brothers it was because it wasn't really talked about." end quote.

If you know the name of the great Aunt who was adopted why do you not look for her birth and then send for her certificate. Could it be she was the child of one of the sisters and not brothers?If you want to send me a private mail with her name approx birth date I will have a look for you.
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline Kelly1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 10 February 09 15:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Larkspur,

Thank you for your message.

I know the name of my Great Aunt, but I'm not sure if it is her birth name. I found a couple of possible birth records for her. Then using the mothers maiden name I looked for marriages.

When I checked for the marriages none of the names matched with my Great Grandfathers brothers.

I have been thinking that she may have been the child of one of the sisters instead of the brothers. I have found marriages for 2 of the sisters. I'm currently looking for a marriage for the other sister.

Thank you for your help, it is truly appreciated.

Kind regards

Kelly.

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 10 February 09 15:10 GMT (UK) »
Maybe there was no marriage Kelly....happens in all families, would possibly be why she was adopted. My gt grandmother was in the same position.
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline Kelly1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 10 February 09 15:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Larkspur,

I had thought that there may not have been a marriage. There isn't any births registered for my Great Aunt with the mother maiden name being the same as hers.

The births that I have found are all registered as if the parents are married. But I suppose they could have lied and said they were married.

I have contacted Nottingham registry office because there was one possible birth which I found a marriage for. But the groom had a middle name and I know that my Great Grandfathers brother didn't have one.

I have asked them to see if on the marriage record if the grooms age and father matches with my details. I'm still waiting back from them.

Thank you again for your help, it is truly appreciated.

kind regards

Kelly.  :)

Offline Sherwood

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 14 February 09 23:44 GMT (UK) »
Here's a link to a wartime recollection by someone who worked at RR Hucknall during WW2.  Mention of an opportunistic enemy bomber but no serious damage done.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/ww2peopleswar/stories/34/a7637934.shtml

Sherwood.
CRESSWELL/CRESWELL (Nottingham), MARTIN (Nottingham), ARGENT (Derby), DEXTER (Derby), BAINES (Uppingham), NUTT (Uppingham), LENAGHAN/LENAGAN/LANEHEN, etc (Ireland and Stamford), WINTERS (Nottingham), SLANEY (Nottingham), BULL (Yorkshire), MITCHELL (Yorkshire)

Any Census image extracts and information in transcriptions are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Kelly1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 16 February 09 15:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sherwood

Thank you for your help, it is truly appreciated.

I will go and read the wartime recollcetion now, thank you.

Kelly.  :)

Offline Libralady

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 21 July 17 15:19 BST (UK) »
I came from Hucknall, was born 1945 - There was an attempt to bomb Rolls Royce at Hucknall during the war, my grandmother lived up in that area around then - I was told that 2 planes were fighting each other over Westville, the German plane was shot down, 2 houses were destroyed at the bottom of Ruffs Drive and a family called Hallam were killed.........I am sure Rolls Royce will have the records..............Libralady