Author Topic: Martha Lodewich and James Maddox  (Read 9303 times)

Offline reiversgirl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Martha Lodewich and James Maddox
« on: Tuesday 30 December 08 17:42 GMT (UK) »
Martha Lodewich (abt 1725-1794) married James Maddox (abt 1724-1807) in about 1750. I am certain of their existence and I know about their children but no one seems to have any record of their parentage. They lived in the Llanarthney area.
Lodewich has come down as Lodwick but I've seen variations such as Lodovicus and Lodwich. If anyone has any information about their ancestry, I'd love to hear about it.
Thank you.

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Martha Lodewich and James Maddox
« Reply #1 on: Monday 26 January 09 18:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi

You may have come across this already but there is a little bit of info at http://www.familysearch.org/eng/Search/frameset_search.asp?PAGE=igi/search_IGI.asp. Here we have Martha Lodewich birth 1725  Of Drawstre Genol,Llanarthney, death 1794 but no mention of parents. Her husband is listed as James Maddocks, of Gellywernen, Wales marriage about 1751.

If you search for James Maddocks there is one given as christening 03 APR 1725 Holt, Denbigh, Wales with father listed as Joseph Maddocks. Date of christening ties up but not place of birth.

Any information on Family Search has to be regarded as not guaranteed accurate but I have found it to be generally reliable. If you do your own searches  on variations of Lodowick, Lodwig, Lodwick etc. and also try variations of Maddox you might find so more info.

I have a possible Lodwick in my tree. A Rachel Lodwick born about 1806 Llanarthney with parents possibly David Lodwick and Emiah Thomas. However although everything points to her being a Lodwick on her children's birth certificates she gives her surname as Lott. Have you come across any instances of "Lodwicks" changing surname in this way?

Offline reiversgirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 26 January 09 21:09 GMT (UK) »
Hallo
Thank you very much for that. Yes, I've got the Family Search info and, believe me, I've searched under almost every variation of name (for both Lodovich and Maddox/Maddocks) as I can think of. The Lott aspect has turned up elsewhere and struck me as odd at the time but the fact that you have Rachel Lodwick in your family and an Emiah might help me. Emiah is a name that has passed down through the family although I don't think there is anyone just at the moment with the same name. Having said that, the family is so vast and so widespread that I can't be sure. What I'll try to do this year is to go to Llanarthney churchyard and have a good look around. It's been so frustrating! I've checked via the Carmarthen records and it's just been hopeless.
Thanks again. It's nice to know there's someone else out there!
All the best.

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 26 January 09 22:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi. FH can be frustrating! If you do get to Llanarthney cemetry I will be interested in any findings you make.

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 30 January 09 17:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I don't know if this on any relevance to you but it was posted today on the CMN-L site (I don't know where it came from but can ask if you wish). It mentions Maddocks and Llanarthney so it my give you some possible leads

"West Wales Golden Wedding Mr and Mrs James Maddocks, Bailey Glas, Llanarthney, Carmarthenshire, have just celebrated their golden wedding with hearty congratulations from a large number of well wishers.  Married in Llanarthney church on November 29th 1869, by the late Canon Harris, they have always been ardent Churchpeople and Conservatives.  Mr Maddocks has been vicar's warden for over twenty years, but lately that office has been held by his son.  A well known and successful agriculturist, Mr Maddocks is the eldest son of the late Mr Thomas Maddocks, Eisteddfa Llannon, near Llanelly, but has resided in the Llanarthney district for the last 60 years.  His services as judge at ploughing matches have been in great demand.  Mrs Maddocks, who is the youngest daughter of the late Mr and Mrs John Griffiths, Llwyndu, Llanarthney, has lived in the parish of Llanarthney all her life.  Mr and Mrs Maddocks have six surviving children - Mrs John Gibbon, Llanstephan;  Mrs B T Stephens, Carmarthen; Mr Johnnie Mad!
 docks, Closglas; Mrs D. R Michael, Pontardulais; and Mr Jim E Maddocks and Miss Ray P Maddocks who are at hme with their parents......

Offline reiversgirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 04 February 09 18:00 GMT (UK) »
Hallo
I'm sorry I've taken so long to get back to you but I've been in Wales (stuck an extra day due to snow) and opening the message on my tiny phone is impossible. Now that I'm back to my PC, I can answer messages properly.
Actually, that's a lovely thing to have. That James Maddocks is a different one though! So many people with the same names. Ray (actually Rachel) Phoebe Maddocks was my grandmother's cousin and she was very close to my mother; I have lovely photos of her. I also have a photo of the whole Beili Glas family.
I used to subscribe to the Carmarthen List but I just got a bit fed up with hundreds of messages appearing in my inbox every week.
I'd like to add that to my Ancestry tree, to the Beili Glas Maddocks family entry.
Many thanks again.

Offline JedMaddocks

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 28 September 14 22:18 BST (UK) »
This is my first post to any genealogy forum, so forgive me if it's incomplete or confusing.

In searching for James Maddocks (1724-1807) I found this post mentioning Martha Lodewich (abt 1725-1794) and some confusion about her parents and possible name changes.
In my genealogy I have a James Maddocks (1724-1807), Gelly Wernen, Llanelli, Carmarthenshire, Wales, Married Abt 1751 of Gellywernen,,, Wales to a Maria Lodowick 1729-1794, Abergwili, Carmarthenshire, Wales.
any chance Martha and Maria are the same person?
-Jed

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 02 November 16 17:10 GMT (UK) »
Hello

This is an old topic but I have been recently been going through my notes and came across the below statements (but can't remember where they came from!). Some I am able to substantiate other info I can't, so if anyone else can pitch in with additional information and/or links to the approriate information that would be great:

The original post makes reference to Martha Lodewich (abt 1725-1794) marrying James Maddox (abt 1724-1807) in about 1750. However, I am unable to find any reference to their marriage occuring then. Is anyone able to confirm this and have a link? If so, then the below is probably of little reference and may be a different pairing. If not, then it may be if this marriage actually occurred much later and the below is of relevance.

Assuming Martha's marriage to James was later then it looks like Martha was married twice, first to David Lodowick and then to James Maddock

"Martha (Stephen) is from Puncheston Pembs. She is probably the daughter of Thomas Stephen of Llanegwad (confirmed as his name is on the bond of her first marriage to David Lodowick, though he may not have necessarily been her father) 04 Oct 1784.

https://familysearch.org/search/image/index?owc=9SBR-168%3A383499701%3Fcc%3D2040546
(St Davids 1784-1787 vol 18 page 134-137)

They had a daughter Diana baptised at Llanarthney in Jan 1786 (unconfirmed). 

David died in the February see Bond NLW SD/1786/60 (wife confirmed as Martha). (I am confused by this statement as it refers to a bond rather than a will. However Llanarthney records do show the burial of a David Lodowick on 01 Feb 1787 http://www.ukgo7.com/ukgo2/Carmarthenshire-Parish-Regs/Llanarthney-regs/Burials%201722-1952/Burials%201722-1952index.html. However, can't confirm if this is the same David.

The author proposes Martha was pregnant when David died as there is a David baptised at Llanarthney on 13 Sep 1789 (born 1786) son of a David Lodwick. Can't confirm if this is David Lodwick son of David Lodwick and Martha Stephen

The Will of James Madock of Trawsdreganol, Llanarthney written in 1792 (he died in 1807) names his wife as Martha and his step son David Lodwick. Seeming to confirm a Martha (whether Martha Stephen or not) married a second time to James Madock

https://syllwr.llyfrgell.cymru/944264#?c=0&m=0&s=0&cv=0&z=0.167%2C0.4881%2C0.7326%2C0.5558

James' first wife was Margaret John who he married at Llanarthney on 13 Feb 1778. They had three sons which are shown on their fathers Will. Margaret was buried in Llanarthney on the 29th July 1786 (unconfirmed).

I have been unable to find any reference to a marriage of a James "M" to a Martha, but there must have been one

Offline reiversgirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 02 November 16 18:42 GMT (UK) »
Hallo
Thanks for all of that. I'm quite happy to be told that there were 2 marriages and I'm delighted to see the will, which will help a great deal I'm sure.
James's children were born from 1754 onward; John was born on 20 Aug 1754 and he married on 7 April 1775. So that tells us that James was married some time in 1753 at latest. If the first wife was called Margaret John, all well and good.
I'll do some further research and see if anything new comes up.
Best regards