Author Topic: HAKES family in Piddington  (Read 5143 times)

Offline Penholder

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Archie & Ruby
    • View Profile
HAKES family in Piddington
« on: Thursday 01 January 09 12:41 GMT (UK) »
I have a whole list of baptisms for the children of my ancestor Thomas HAKES, but seem to be missing his son William.

From the census returns I think William would have been born around 1812 and his mother is probably Thomas's first wife, Sarah but he could also be the son of Tabitha, who was Thomas's second wife.

I also don't have a burial date for Sarah HAKES if anyone can help with that.   It should be between 1809 and 1813.

Many thanks and Happy New Year to everyone!

Diana
Hakes - Piddington, Northants; Bucks
Hillyard, Lebatt & Bodsworth - Piddington, Northants
Bonner - Warwickshire & Leicestershire
Caughlin - Clonmore Co. Wicklow/Carlow
Muzzell - Sussex
Jones - Rushbury, Shropshire; Nuneaton & Birmingham, Warwickshire; Piddington & Northampton, Northants
Penhorwood - Devon
Shutt - Devon & Kent
Oliver, Davies & James - Pembrokeshire
Green, Enser, Oldham, Bramman, Billings & Watmough - Nottinghamshire

Offline familyhistorynorthants

• RootsChat Extra
  • Frederick William Clarke my great grandfather
    • View Profile
Re: HAKES family in Piddington
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 08 January 09 20:28 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
I cannot find any match for William Hakes' baptism entry [upto 1812] in Northants, the closest match is the one copied below.
Regards
Alan

Wm   HAKES   son of   Thos   Eliz   1789   31-May   Piddington C of E
See http://www.northants-familytree.net
CLARKE - Rushden, ROSE - Northampton/Middleton Cheney, PERRIN - Rushden/Northampton, LANHAM - Northampton/Suffolk, COLES/HOWE - Northampton/Wellingborough, LYMAN - Northampton, NIGHTINGALE - Eastcote/Pattishall, MORING - Northampton, WILLMOTT -  Northampton/Luddington, RUSSELL - Newnham, ALLEN - Harlestone, BONHAM - Bugbrooke/Potterspury, BIGNELL - Paulerspury, HAWKES - Northampton/Chesham, INWOOD - Northampton, GARDNER - Pattishall

Offline Penholder

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Archie & Ruby
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 08 January 09 22:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alan

Great to hear from you as I didn't think I was going to get a reply!   It's really kind of you to take the trouble for me and thank you for the information.   I think the William you have found is the uncle of the William I am trying to locate.

My William is 29 in 1841, when he's an ag. lab with William & Mary THOMPSON in Piddington.   Then in 1851 he's recorded as the brother-in-law of William ALDRIDGE.   William ALDRIDGE's wife, Rebecca, was originally Rebecca HAKES.   She is the daughter of Thomas HAKES and his first wife, Sarah PELL.   I have assumed William is her brother and probably also a child of the first marriage.   Their father's second wife was Tabitha PEARSON.   In 1851 she and her children are living next door to the ALDRIDGE family.

On Ancestry William, Tabitha and her children are all down as EAKES rather than HAKES in 1851 but that's a transcription error and it definitely says HAKES when you look at the original.

It's odd that William isn't in the register as all his brothers and sisters were christened in Piddington.   I think his mother must have died soon after he was born and maybe getting him christened wasn't top of his father's priorities after that.

Anyway, many thanks indeed for your work on my behalf.

Regards,

Diana

Muzzell - Sussex
Jones - Rushbury, Shropshire; Nuneaton & Birmingham, Warwickshire; Piddington & Northampton, Northants
Penhorwood - Devon
Shutt - Devon & Kent

Offline caytiesmum

• RootsChat Member
  • Lucy Reid (1918- 1993) My Mum
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 19 January 09 00:03 GMT (UK) »
Hello Diana

I was interested to read your post, especially the link between the Hakes and Aldridge families.

I am trying to discover more about some Aldridges. Some very kind people on the site have help me with the following information  George Aldridge married Catherine Hakes in 1808. Catherine was born in Piddleton 1786 the daughter of Thomas and  Elizabeth Hakes. George and Catherine  moved to Weston Underwood( George's village ) and had a number of children.  Do these names mean anything to you?

I have a John Aldridge born around 1809 whose baptism and parentage I cannot trace. However  his eldest daughter seems to have been with George and Catherine in the 1841 census. 

Paula
Pritchard- Middlesex, Colchester Aldridge Parkins - Buckinghamshire
Seagar Saunders -Essex

Crowley - Dublin Reid - Dublin  O'Donoghue -Limerick and Dublin  Quincy/ De Quincey/ McQuincey - Limerick

Offline Penholder

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Archie & Ruby
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 19 January 09 12:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Paula

It's great to hear from you and to learn of another connection between the HAKES and ALDRIDGE families.

Thomas HAKES & Elizabeth LEBBATT (married at Piddington 16th February 1780) were the grandparents of Rebecca HAKES, 2nd wife of William ALDRIDGE, so it looks as if Catherine HAKES, who married George ALDRIDGE, was Rebecca's aunt.

I'm afraid I haven't looked into the ALDRIDGE family at all as I have been trying to fill in the gaps in my more recent knowledge of the HAKES family.   I'm slowly working my way through the Piddington registers - still a long way to go as I don't get to Northampton very often.

Last time I was at the Records Office I was looking at the Piddington Banns, 1754-1812 and 1813-1837, and I noted down the following:

- Wm ALDRICH otp X married Ann MOLSHER otp X 19th February 1804, witnesses Joseph & John WESTLY

- John ALDRIDGE otp married Ann KNIGHT otp X 7th December 1829, witnesses Wliiliam CHAPMAN & Sarah ALDRIDGE X

There could well have been other ALDRIDGE entries as I wasn't specifically looking for them.

I have a baptism for Kitty HAKES at Piddington on 9th April 1786, daughter of Thos & Elizabeth HAKES.   Do you think she might be your Catherine?

Regards,

Diana
Muzzell - Sussex
Penhorwood - Devon
Shutt - Devon & Kent

Offline caytiesmum

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 19 January 09 20:22 GMT (UK) »
 Thank you Diana

I am pretty sure the Kitty is mine! As she was originally a Hakes  you may be interested to know she had at least 6 children. 7 if  my unbaptized John is her son too (as I suspect).

I don't know of a connection (yet) between William and Ann  or  John (who married Ann Knight) and my Aldridges. Sandy kindly identified John as the son of William and Ann.  At least I am now pretty sure that the William and Ann's son is not my John.

I too will need to go to the Northampton record office, but thank you for the extra knowledge you have given me. It all seems more and more likely Kitty and George were John's parents. He was born about 9 or 10 months after they married.

Thank you again Paula

Thanks again.
Seagar Saunders -Essex

Crowley - Dublin Reid - Dublin  O'Donoghue -Limerick and Dublin  Quincy/ De Quincey/ McQuincey - Limerick

Offline Penholder

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Archie & Ruby
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 19 January 09 21:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Paula

I have registers other than Piddington that I intend to check - eventually - so I will keep an eye out for your John as he may have been baptised elsewhere.

Would you mind giving me the details of Kitty's children so that I can add them into my tree?

Regards,

Diana
Muzzell - Sussex
Penhorwood - Devon
Shutt - Devon & Kent

Offline caytiesmum

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 19 January 09 23:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Diana

Mary  baptised  St Lawrence Weston Underwood 29th January 1811
William    "                         "                                    21 March 1813
Joseph    "                         "                                    16 April 1815
James                                                                      5 April  1818
Elizabeth                                                                 2 July    1820
Caroline                                                                   7 Sept  1823
Anne                                                                        26 November 1823

These dates come from Buckinghamshire   FHS  records. Also on IGI (Hugh Wallis site ) except for Mary.

John according to census was born in Weston def married there.  His eldest daughter Elizabeth seems to have been with Kitty and George in 1841 in Weston Underwood. His younger daughter Mary ( my Dad's grandmother) had the middle name Kitchen and the Mary above married a Christopher  Kitchener but seems not to have had a family of her own . So I have reason to believe John is related to this family somehow.

1851- Gorge and Catherine Aldoirdge

I believe Kitty died before 1861 as cannot find her in census
Seagar Saunders -Essex

Offline Penholder

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Archie & Ruby
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 20 January 09 10:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Paula

Thank you so much for the Aldridge family information.   I would never have found it for myself, especially with the random spellings of the names, and I'm extremely grateful to you.

Diana
Muzzell - Sussex
Penhorwood - Devon
Shutt - Devon & Kent