Author Topic: McNamara - Co. Clare  (Read 44584 times)

Offline clairhaines

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: McNamara - Co. Clare
« Reply #27 on: Friday 14 September 12 10:25 BST (UK) »
Hello

I am also trying to trace McNamara ancestors in Co. Clare.
I have Mathew McNamara (farmer) and Anne Wolf marrying and having Micheal McNamara in 1845.

The only other record I have is Michael McNamara marrying Mary Hassett in Victoria, Australia in 1872. Mary Hassett was also from Co. Clare.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to find out more about Mathew and Anne? 

Thank you in advance

Clair

Ireland - McMullen/McMullin, Noonan, McNamara, Moore, Ogle,
Grenada to SA and Vic - Hain, Hains, Haines (Victoria)
Redman (Sussex to Victoria, Australia)
Dalgleish (Scotland and then onto Victoria, Australia)
Palmer (?? to Sth Aust to Victoria)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 14 September 12 10:43 BST (UK) »
I am also trying to trace McNamara ancestors in Co. Clare.
I have Mathew McNamara (farmer) and Anne Wolf marrying and having Micheal McNamara in 1845.

McNamara is a very common surname in the mid-west, so not so easy to trace without further clues - but Wolf is much less common.

Any idea which part of Co. Clare this family came from ?

see :  Introduction to Irish Records
         My Ancestor came from Ireland - where do I start?   

Very few parish records for Co. Clare are available online at the moment, but a good place to look for more general information is the Clare Library website - see the resources link at the top of the Co. Clare board.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 14 September 12 10:55 BST (UK) »
the only Wolfe entry I see on the Tithe records is a Samuel Wolfe in the townland of Mount, Kilchreest civil parish. These records are dated 1825 and cover mainly agricultural areas, but not towns etc.

see : Kilchreest civil parish

There are 9 Wolfe listings on Griffith's Valuation - carried out between 1852 and 1855 for this area.

see : Griffith's Co. Clare, Whelan to Wynne

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline cassmob

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 14 September 12 13:51 BST (UK) »
Clair, your best bet is to explore Australian marriage/death certificates as well as migration data in the hope of narrowing down where the family came from in Clare. Otherwise you'll be searching for a needle in a haystack. With luck Australian data should narrow down the range. The Clare LIbrary site is excellent, as per other replies.
McCorkindale (Glasgow, London and Australia); McCorquodale (Argyll and Gloucs); Sim (Stirlingshire); Melvin (Leith); Kunkel (Bavaria); O'Brien (Clare, IRL); Partridge (Gloucs); Morrison (Strachur, Argyll); Gavin (Kildare and Queensland); Murphy (Wicklow); Sherry (Tullamore, Wexford and Australia); Paton (Robert and Madge or children in Govan); Paton (Dundee); Paton (Qld Australia 1910+); McDavid (Wigtown)

Offline Donna Cash

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 05 July 15 13:28 BST (UK) »
Hi rowee

I just found your post and have just got back from burra. There was a gate at London bridge and it looked like private property so we didn't get to see it. My name is Donna and my line if mcnamaras is from a Michael McNamar(r)a born abt 1812 in county Clare.  He married a Mary McNamara ( née McNamara) on 13 jan 1851 at at Gregory's Queanbeyan. They had patrick in 1852, Catherine (Kate) in 1853 and Bridget in 1857. Bridget was my gg grandmother.
I would love to learn if you have anything on my macs.

Thank you

Donna 😊

Offline Sandgroper

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 11 July 15 02:57 BST (UK) »
I'm wondering if anyone has information about a Patrick McNamara and his wife Margaret Brohan. They had a son Edmund (also known as Edward) who was born 15th Jan 1864 in Mountshannon, Galway. Mountshannon is now part of County Clare. Edward came to Australia in 1887.
They also had daughters Bridget (born 11 April 1866) and Mary (born 24 May 1868). They were both born in Feakle.

I have looked through a lot of online parish registers pertaining to Mountshannon and Feakle but for the life of me can't find them. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Edited: Thanks to Kiwi11's post about McNamara and Brohan in Cloonusker (Clonusker), Scarriff I decided to look at the Scarriff online parish records and I've found them! I've been looking for about 25 years. Possibly there is a family connection. Thanks Kiwi11.
Werrett, Dando, Harris, Osborne - Westerleigh, GLS
Singleton, Rossall, Hall, Braithwaite - Marton, LAN
Clegg, Carter, Bowes, Fewster - DUR
Codling, Cook - Ovingham, NBL

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 11 July 15 03:35 BST (UK) »
Are there any specific naming patterns that are common in Ireland as they are , for example , Scotland?

Is there any difference between Mc and Mac?

My Macs seem to have come from a James Macnamara ( listed in SA BDM marriage record) to John born app 1829-1830 died in Kapunda SA in 1875. John married Hanorah Tierney (d of Michael and Mary Tierney) and had 5 children , one of who was John George b 1869. John Married Margaret Sheehan and they had 5 children , one who was my grandmother Margaret Mary b 1896

Now whether John came out alone or with brothers I don't know. But he was in Kapunda by 1866. An interesting side note, when John died the person listed as witness was a Michael Murnane.

If anyone can clarify the naming pattern or recognises any names it would help immensely.

:)

Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 11 July 15 10:34 BST (UK) »
M'  Mc and Mac are all one and same.
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 11 July 15 10:37 BST (UK) »
http://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0784  or click other Parishes on the map...
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.