Author Topic: McNamara - Co. Clare  (Read 44583 times)

Offline robbiemac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
McNamara - Co. Clare
« on: Tuesday 08 February 05 17:19 GMT (UK) »
G'day from Oz
He-e-e-lp!! I'm searching for the birthplace of g-g-grandfather Patrick McNamara b 1820 in Clare. He married Ellen Rogers b. 1825 some time before the birth of their son Michael John in 1849.
In June 1850 Patrick and family with (prob brother) John and family Margaret, Patrick and John emigrated to NSW Australia onboard the 'Bussorah Merchant'. I don't know from which port they departed.
There are so many Patrick and Michael McNamaras in Clare that I have no idea of which town they may have come from.
Would anyone please be able to start me off in Ireland?
Bye for now, Gary n Rob

Offline ashenique

• RootsChat Member
  • Still searching
    • View Profile
Re: McNamara - Co. Clare
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 11 January 06 06:43 GMT (UK) »
Gary n Rob
G'Day to another fellow Oz - did they only end up in NSW or did some go to SA. I have a Patrick and John, sister Mary (who married a JOhn Hayes) in SA.
Cheers
Ashe

Offline Sani

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 21 January 06 00:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gary n Rob        I have a Patrick McNamara who came to Geelong, Victoria and married Mary O'Toole in 1863 and died in geelong  1907 buried at Geelong
                     Sani

Offline ashenique

• RootsChat Member
  • Still searching
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 05 February 06 06:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi again
Interestingly enough I have more connections to this name. John and Mary Hayes (nee McNamara's) son Patrick (named after his uncle Patrick McNamara) was raised by a Ro(d)gers family also from Clare.
Later on one of the Rodgers family married a McNamara - any guesses as to their names? Yep you guessed it Ellen Rodgers and Patrick McNamara.
You know what always surprises me - they couldn't come up with any original names - no wonder the Irish jokes always have Paddy and Mick heh?
Ashe

Offline Shaztoni

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 17 February 06 14:45 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately, with a name like Patrick McNamara it will be almost impossible to find them with out at least a town land, you couldn't throw a cat in Clare in case you'd hit a Pat Mac.
(I happen to have six Patrick Mac's on my husbands tree, and these were all in one parish in Limerick over about fifty years)

Sharon
This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Portygilr

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 01 April 06 20:55 BST (UK) »

After reading previous posts re trying to
find McNamara's, I was hoping that someone
out there could help me with my
GGFather, Michael McNamara, son of Michael
McNamara and Helen McNamara.
Michael was b abt 1855/56, and I don't know the
Townland - never mind not being sure of the County  :'(
McNamara/Mcelhinney/McCue/McHugh/Boyle/
McFadden/McCaskie/McGurn/Gourlay/ey/Carlin/Lindsay/Rutherford

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 02 April 06 18:17 BST (UK) »
My husbands grandma was Bridget McNamara born in Ennis in 1874(died in the County Home in 1947-was Mrs John Coleman by then!) She was one of 7 kids,found so far,daughter of .........you've guessed it,Patrick and Mary Mc Namara.

Almost as difficult as the Blakes from Kilbaha.........all called Martin,Thomas or Patrick.And the girls all Mary and Margaret. ::)

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline robbiemac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 13 November 07 22:37 GMT (UK) »
The furthest I have back is Patrick McNamara 1 b abt 1795 who married Bridget Quinlan
He came from the townland of Cloonnagro, a townland of 290 acres in Co Clare, Barony Tulla Upper, Civil Parish Feakle, Poor Law Union Tulla, Province Munster.
I've done the Griffiths etc but there's no Macs in Cloonnagro, but there are 3 Rogers (including John, maybe the father of Patrick 2's wife Eleanor)
Patrick 2 b 1820 in Cloonnagro and married Eleanor Rogers (b 1825 Cloonnagro) in 1848 at Cloonnagro.
They emigrated in 1850 and Patrick was employed by Dr James Murray at Woden and was described as a leaseholder in the 1856 electoral roll.
On 12 Sep 1861 he selected 33 acres at 'Katy Flat', Burra at a Crown Land sale in Queanbeyan and it was there that most of his family were born. His occupation was a farmer.
He died after a 3 year illness with 'rheumatic affection' on 19 Feb 1870 in Queanbeyan. Death Certificate states father Patrick McNamara, farmer and mother Bridget Quinlan.
So I'm sure they were never in SA though the connection is interesting with ashenique's Rogers/McNamara info.

Offline cassmob

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 12 September 08 02:32 BST (UK) »
hi Gary n Rob

Coming into this very late & have just noticed the date of your last post so you may well be advanced on this so will work backwards to what I planned to say.

Have you looked at the Clare Library website? It is gold for family historians with Clare ancestry: look at both the genealogy & history sections as well as photos.
http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclare/genealogy/genealog.htm

I had a quick look at the LDS (Mormon) library website: Feakle parish is microfilmed but only available from 1860. You mention you can't find McNamaras in the Cloonnagro townland. In my experience the Irish usually married within a close range of townlands and I see that one is on the boundary with Tulla so just maybe you might find the baptisms in the Tulla parish records which miraculously start in 1819, very early for Irish Catholic records. These are available through the LDS Church library near you.

I've been doing some work on migrants to Australia from East Clare (which I've defined as the Baronies of Upper and Lower Tulla). I don't have your McNamaras in my database as yet but am interested in what happened to East Clare people who came here. If you feel like it you could send me a private message and I'll give you my email there.

I'll include my shipping comments though you've probably already looked at them as you know the place of origin. (They appear in both Victorian immigration and NSW so may have slightly different info).

It might also be worth your while to have a look at the Immigration Deposit Journals which are indexed on CD (should be available in a major library near you). There will probably be lots of Patrick McNamaras but since you know where he was, if you find one who matches, you would be certainly interested in anyone he was sponsoring to come to Australia as they are likely to be neighbours, friends or family and again confirm linkages of people and places.

Persons on bounty ships to Sydney, Newcastle and Moreton Bay ('Board's Immigrant Lists'), 1848-91
reel 2461 (year 1850) ship range:  Anglia-Tippoo Saib

Other immigration records (Agents Immigration LIsts) for Bussorah Merchant
Microfilm Reel 2136 NSW Archives Kit available in most libraries

According to another website the "Bussorah Merchant" sailed from Plymouth, England on the 3rd of February 1850 and arrived Geelong, Victoria on the 26th June 1850.

You might want to try Picture Australia for an image of the ship if you haven't already done so.

Anyway that's enough blather from me. You may well have passed this point of your research but since I started the post before I full checked dates I thought I may as well go ahead

Cheers

Pauleen
McCorkindale (Glasgow, London and Australia); McCorquodale (Argyll and Gloucs); Sim (Stirlingshire); Melvin (Leith); Kunkel (Bavaria); O'Brien (Clare, IRL); Partridge (Gloucs); Morrison (Strachur, Argyll); Gavin (Kildare and Queensland); Murphy (Wicklow); Sherry (Tullamore, Wexford and Australia); Paton (Robert and Madge or children in Govan); Paton (Dundee); Paton (Qld Australia 1910+); McDavid (Wigtown)