Author Topic: Any Info on Christopher Kelly, Ballynacargy, RC, born about 1856  (Read 6516 times)

Offline mxk1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Any Info on Christopher Kelly, Ballynacargy, RC, born about 1856
« on: Friday 02 January 09 20:22 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for information for Christopher Kelly who, according to the 1901 census, was 44 at the time, meaning he was likely born in 1856 (the census occurred 3/31/01).  He was married in January 1871 in Ballynacargy, which if the census was correct, means he was very young.  Three of his sons married three Scottish girls around 1920 (my grandfather Michael was one, married in 1920 just east of Glasgow around Glenboig/Coatbridge.  Therefore the family must have moved to Scotland sometime after the 1901 census.  He had died by 1920, and the family story is that he was killed somewhere in a barroom brawl when my grandfather was 10, therfore around 1903/04.

I have not been able to find a birth/baptism certificate for him.  The marriage certificate had essentially no useful info.

Thanks

Offline pxk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Any Info on Christopher Kelly, Ballynacargy, RC, born about 1856
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 22 August 12 12:23 BST (UK) »
I have just recently joined this web site in order to research my Irish connections. My great grandfather was the same Christopher Kelly, my grandfather was Patrick Kelly ,one of the 3 kelly brothers. He married Annie Reilly.
I realise some time has passed since your original post but I may be able to answer some of your questions.
Regards
Pat

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 22 August 12 18:26 BST (UK) »
Hello Pat, not sure what the protocol is here but I can see that mxk1 hasn't been online since 20 Jan 2009.  I know that you can't send Personal Messages (PMs) until you have posted 3 times.  Once you do this, maybe you can PM mxk1 and see if they respond.

Hopefully a Moderator will be along to offer advice soon.

Happy hunting,

Kit

PS.  If you haven't already seen them, there are a few old post on the Lanarkshire forum.
Rimmer/Appleton/Ashcroft: St Helens, Lancs // Cul(le)y:St Helens & Little Bolton // Stott: Huyton Quarry & Sutton, Lancs
Carson:Belfast? & St Helens // Kelly:Mullingar, West Meath? & St Helens // Ronan: Ferns, Wexford & St Helens // Daley:Oranmore & Athenry, Co Galway //
Cunningham: Heworth, Gateshead & Widnes & St Helens, originating Ireland
Edgar: Bellie, Moray // Anderson: Selkirk // Rutherford: Hobkirk, Roxburghshire //
Stewart: Angus // Watson: Moray & Jamaica // Watt: Cairnie

Offline pxk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 22 August 12 18:37 BST (UK) »
thank you for your help Kit.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 22 August 12 18:48 BST (UK) »
I have not been able to find a birth/baptism certificate for him.  The marriage certificate had essentially no useful info.

question for mxk1 - what sort of marriage record for Christopher do you have ?

A civil marriage cert should show a couple of vital clues - e.g. places of residence for Christopher and Anne, names and occupations for their father's etc

see : Details included on a Marriage Cert

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 22 August 12 19:07 BST (UK) »
I believe this may be the family on the 1901 census - townland name is actually Ballycorkey, which is in Kilbixy civil parish and not far from Mullingar town. Ballynacarrigy town and townland are about 5km south of Ballycorkey.

Kelly household - 1901

No sign of this Kelly family at that location in 1911

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline pxk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 22 August 12 20:48 BST (UK) »
Kit,
they were in Scotland by then.

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 22 August 12 23:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Pat, didn't read them.  I was just aware that information/questions had been posted in case they were of help/interest.

Hope you get some answers.

Kit
Rimmer/Appleton/Ashcroft: St Helens, Lancs // Cul(le)y:St Helens & Little Bolton // Stott: Huyton Quarry & Sutton, Lancs
Carson:Belfast? & St Helens // Kelly:Mullingar, West Meath? & St Helens // Ronan: Ferns, Wexford & St Helens // Daley:Oranmore & Athenry, Co Galway //
Cunningham: Heworth, Gateshead & Widnes & St Helens, originating Ireland
Edgar: Bellie, Moray // Anderson: Selkirk // Rutherford: Hobkirk, Roxburghshire //
Stewart: Angus // Watson: Moray & Jamaica // Watt: Cairnie

Offline mxk1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 26 August 12 01:25 BST (UK) »
Thanks to all here - my second cousin Pat contacted me by email, we are now FaceBook friends, and we will start the info exchange soon.

Mike Kelly