Author Topic: Why can't I find them? 1841  (Read 2772 times)

Offline DebbieG

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Why can't I find them? 1841
« on: Saturday 03 January 09 08:43 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for the parents and sister of Mary (Jane) Carrington who was born in Herefordshire in 1812, baptised at Stoke Prior, Hereford 3rd September 1812 the daughter of Walter Carrington & Mary Ann (nee Godrich) they had another daughter Elizabeth baptised there in 1810.   Walter came originally from Croxden in Staffordshire he was born there in 1784,  he married Mary Ann Godrich 27th Oct 1809 at St Alkmunds Derby.

Mary Jane married George Fowler in June 1839 in Uttoxeter and by the time of the 1841 census is living with him at their farm in Donisthorpe, Gresley - with their 1 year old son George Fowler who was born in Uttoxeter.

There are two old letters still in the family one dated March 1839 from George Fowler to Miss Carrington at 'Creighton' Uttoxeter, Creighton was a farm owned by her uncle George Carrington I have found him there in all the census's until his death in 1876.  I had thought perhaps her parents had died and she lived with her Uncle and Aunt before her marriage,  but the second letter which has turned up is dated 21st March 1841 and written from Uttoxeter it is from Mary Jane  to George in it she says  'Father and mother came down on Thursday morning for the funeral and took me back with them and I returned here with them this morning' ...   so it seems as though her parents were still alive.  However I searched the 1841 census with all the variations I can think of and can't find them,  nor can I find any reference for a likely death for a Walter Carrington in Free BMD after that date - has anyone got any ideas what to try next?  the second letter also says 'Elizabeth is gone home today'  which is most likely her sister Elizabeth and implies that she didn't go with their parents so she is probably married,  but I don't know to who or when!

Can anyone help?  Please :-\

DebbieG
Pay(n)ton, Payton, Pe(a)rton all Oxfordshire and Berkshire - particularly Abingdon

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Why can't I find them? 1841
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 03 January 09 10:53 GMT (UK) »
There is a Mary Ann Carrington death in 1845 in Uttoxeter  if all else fails you could ty that (so**y for spelling  my '*' key has just given up on me - except when I did fo*  ??? ???)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 03 January 09 10:59 GMT (UK) »
Ignore this- I was so fuddled with my 'r' key and then excited re this find but realise this is uncle George  ::) ::) ::)

Have you looked at

1841 HO107; Piece 1007; Book: 16;   Folio: 9; Page: 9

Creighton Uttoxter

George Carrington 45 yrs farmer born in county
Mary 45 yrs not born in county

not sure re ages though

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 03 January 09 11:08 GMT (UK) »
Is Mary Jane writing the letter from Creighton as George's wife? Just trying to clarify this scenario- she goes to a funeral without George and then refers to her parents taking her back (somewhere) with them and then she is returning (back) to Creighton?
Who died in March 1841? No Carringtons in Uttoxeter  :(

However a Samuel and a Mary Carrington died in Leek during that period. :-\

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 03 January 09 11:42 GMT (UK) »
Well I still can't find them as you say - sorry!

The one thing that is bothering me re the letter (and how fantastic to have those letters in the family  :)) is, does she mention baby George? He would either be with her (most likely) or remained with his father and she has obviously been away for a few days. However, as she is writing to George snr it must be within a definite period so I can understand your frustration.  :'(

Offline DebbieG

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 03 January 09 11:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi - thanks so much for having a look at this for me - its driving me round the bend  :-\

It gets confuseing because several people had the same first names,  but I will try and clarify it

Mary Jane Carrington (d/o Walter & Mary Ann) married George Fowler in 1839,  they lived in Uttoxetter to start off with, where their eldest son George Folwer II was born.  At about the time this letter was written they had just taken on the lease of a farm in Donisthorpe and I suspect that George Fowler was there most of the time getting it ready for his wife and son to join him.  They are there with him by the time the census was taken in June.

The letter which is from Mary Jane (now Fowler) to her husband starts

My dear
I have just recieved you note it gave me much pleasure to see your hand writing you set off in such a hurry that I quite forgot to ask you to write to me.   ......

I don't think she is at Creighton at this point the top of the letter just says Uttoxeter and further on in it she mentions that 'Thomas took the sheep to Creighton on Thursday'  I think if she was at Crieghton she would have said that Thomas bought the sheep here.

Also mentioned 'Uncle John was at Creighton last evening he had been to Croxden the day before,  he said that poor Martha was not so well that day she had a good deal more pain in her leg.

Uncle John - would be John Carrington who farmed at Croxden,  he was married to Martha (nee Smith) who died later that year.

The George Carrington that you found at Crieghton is another of the brothers in total there were

Walter born 1784
Samuel born 1787 died 1822
William born 1789 died 1833
Thomas born 1791 died 1868
George born 1794 died 1876
John born 1798 ish died 1875
Mary born 1799 who married Francis Parramore
Jane born 1802 who married Rev Walter Eddows
Elizabeth born 1809 married Thomas Smith

they were all children on William Carrington and Elizabeth (nee Shaw)

You will see that the youngest daughter Elizabeth is only one year older than her neice also Elizabeth Carrington the other daughter of Walter and Mary Ann,  it gets more complicated because several of them married cousins or second cousins.   :-\

I had thought that the Mary Ann who died in 1845 was the wife of George - he is a widower by 1851,  but you may be right and it would be worth taking another look at it.

I just can't believe that Walter could just dissapear - these people were reasonably well off and educated farmers and landowners.

I don't know who died in 1841 - could be a member of the Godrich family (her mothers maiden name)

:-\

Debbie
Pay(n)ton, Payton, Pe(a)rton all Oxfordshire and Berkshire - particularly Abingdon

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 03 January 09 11:57 GMT (UK) »
The only Godrich who dies in that period is a Lettice Godrich in Leicester but then the death could really be anyone.
I was going to suggest a will but as you don't know a death date that's a bit of a daft suggestion at the moment.
It may be worth trying that death - can't see anything else really- apart from Samuel's death too. (the reason for the funeral perhaps?)

Offline DebbieG

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 03 January 09 12:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi - sorry missed your previous post.  Yes baby George is with her in Uttoxeter,  another part of the letter - 'the ewe lambed yesterday two fine lambs I hope they will do well they looked promising,  I think Georgy must have one - what say you? he was much interested in watching them from the window'

Samuel died in 1822 - so not his funeral in 1841

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 03 January 09 12:08 GMT (UK) »
oh dear!

What a warming letter!