Author Topic: "Fleeing the Famine'  (Read 4135 times)

Offline Jillie42

• I am sorry but my email address is not working
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
"Fleeing the Famine'
« on: Saturday 03 January 09 11:17 GMT (UK) »
For any of you with access to the 'History' satellite or cable channel there is a wonderful programme on a Friday night at 9 o'clock called 'Fleeing the Famine'

Unfortunately the first installment was on last night but they may well repeat it.

Although it was about the coffin ships taking the Irish to Toronto there was a great deal about the famine and the conditions that made our Irish ancestors leave Ireland.

It's well worth watching but can be rather painful too. Not for the faint-hearted.
Eaton (Woughton on the Green, Doncaster and N. London), Davis(Shinfield and London), Harrington (Ireland and London), Sutcliffe (Todmorden and London), Williams, Hollingsworth (Thaxted), Lane (Rotherhithe), Fuller (Chesterton, Cambs), Dilley (who knows where????)

Offline kiwi2011

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: "Fleeing the Famine'
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 10 March 18 00:23 GMT (UK) »
Will look for this online, Thanks Jillie42.
Ireland: Mayo - O'Malley, Malley, Currigan, Lynchacan. Antrim - McAuley. Louth - Byrne. Down - Smith.

England: Lancashire - O'Malley, McCauley, Foster.

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 10 March 18 00:31 GMT (UK) »
Thank you ,I am sorry I missed that.
Watched Murder MysteryAnd my Family. BBC 1 today at9-15.
Gave a good insight into the land conditions in Ireland in the 1800`s,land agents etc and the build up of the tensions which caused so much trouble.
Most interesting.
                        Viktoria.

Offline kiwi2011

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 10 March 18 00:34 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Viktoria, I'll look for that too.
Ireland: Mayo - O'Malley, Malley, Currigan, Lynchacan. Antrim - McAuley. Louth - Byrne. Down - Smith.

England: Lancashire - O'Malley, McCauley, Foster.

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 10 March 18 00:46 GMT (UK) »
Sorry that I missed it. My OH's family arrived in Wales during the 1830s so missed the 1840s famine, but I suspect there was a build up to that well known situation which I would have liked to learn about.   
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke