Author Topic: Patterson Gt Yarmouth  (Read 10149 times)

Offline Leprechaunlady

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Patterson Gt Yarmouth
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 04 January 09 00:45 GMT (UK) »

THANK YOU ALL!!

I will order ADELINE'S birth cert to confirm details but it all looks very promising

I really should have known better with mis- spelling names years ago that is the reason 
         couldn't find who I was looking for, Thank you again!
ROBINSON, BOGUE, MAGUIRE, MCCAFFREY, MCCAGHERY? Fermanagh

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 18 January 09 01:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

Are you still interested in more information?  I, and a few others all descended from John Patterson's brothers, are in contact and can take the Pattersons back to 1799 in Norfolk.  That's when we meet Jonathan Patterson who is currently a bit of a brick wall.  We have one or two possibilities but nothing definite.

As for Adeline, I do know of one lady who is directly descended from John and Charlotte who only discovered the existence of Adeline last month when she obtained Charlotte's death cert.  I don't know whether she has any info on the Holmes side but will send her an email tomorrow and point her to this thread.

Christine

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 18 January 09 03:07 GMT (UK) »
There is this baptism;

Charlotte HOLMES, baptised Norwich St Mary 1859, born 1856 St Giles, parents Robert and Hannah

There are lots of Pattersons and Holmes on;

www.doun.org/transcriptions

I have an interest in the Patterson name as it was used as a middle name for a few siblings of my 3x grandmother Mary Ann Hannah Leggett nee Newby (1820-1909) from Great Yarmouth.

Trish
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline dadecalulikico

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 18 January 09 21:16 GMT (UK) »
hi, i have the info you require in charlotte holmes, married john patterson, parents of adeline patterson. i have the certs and quite a lot of info on this branch of th pattersons as i descend from alice patterson, adelines sister.

c-side i will email you shortly, might have a bit more info on jonathon, hope you had a nice xmas and thankks for letting me know about this post.

Offline Bodham

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 27 January 09 16:20 GMT (UK) »
Hiya
Patterson of Great Yarmouth is linked to the Newby's,Rose's & Norman's of Lowestoft
Suffolk.
 My wife's cousin & i have been working on these connections for a long while.
What can i do to help please.
Noel

Offline dadecalulikico

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 27 January 09 16:26 GMT (UK) »
hi, how is the connection made between the pattersons and the names you have been researching

Offline Bodham

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 27 January 09 18:13 GMT (UK) »
Here is a bit of it.
                 Newby-PATTERSON-BRAY

Elizabeth Bray marries Robert Newby 05/12/1799 St Nicholas Church great Yarmouth.
     Will of 1843 Susan Bray spinster of Great Yarmouth.
        Imake my sister Elizabeth Newby my sole exc & i leave her all my

Robert Patterson Newby born 20/03/1791 bapt 22/03/1791 St Nicholas Church great Yarmouth.
     parents James Newby & Elizabeth Nichols.

Elizabeth Newby Will 1855 "this is Elizabeth Nichols above.
     I Elizabeth Newby widow of James Newby of Great Yarmouth do hereby appoint my sons
    Robert Patterson Newby,John Newby & Charles Patterson Newby plus my daugs Elizabeth Howard
    widow & Ann Palmer wife of Thomas Palmer Lawyer or of Great Yarmouth all exc's of this my
    Will.
     I hereby declare that all my dwelling house, estate in/around Great yarmouth they do sell
    by private sale or public auction.
     After all my debts,expenses, death costs then share & share a like of the profits.
    I give unto my grandsons James Thurrel Newby George Thurell Newby or if they dead before me
    they  children to recieve £5.
    To Mary Cook wife of Rumowo ? Cook of Lowestoft Suffolk the sum of £10
     She made this Will 1853.

James Newby married Elizabeth Nichols 01/12/1788 Lowestoft Suffolk.
     James the son of James Newby who married Anne Patterson 1760 Lowestoft.
     Elizabeth Nichols bapt 09/07/1769 St Nicholas Great Yarmouth parents James & Ann

1851 census Elizabeth is 79 yrs of age owner of 2 houses & residing Row 125 Yarmouth
      her son John is 51 yrs of age a Master Mariner(capt) Row 138 married with 5 kids.
      cannot find Robert Patterson 0r Charles Patterson but also believe they are master mariners
      because i see two Newby families there wife's of master mariners.
Will come back with the Norman & Rose shortly
Noel

Offline dadecalulikico

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 27 January 09 18:31 GMT (UK) »
hi, this could be ineresting, send me a pm and i will give you my direct email- address. has the name utting come into.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 28 January 09 01:22 GMT (UK) »

Hi,

Could I jump into this one too ;)

I have not really looked into this one properly yet; but have been given my Mary Ann Hannah Newby ( born 1819-1820/ died 1909) parents as JOHN NEWBY and CHARLOTTE GARWOOD. She married William Leggett.

Their son William Newby Leggett (1841-1826) started our family in NZ, he was a mariner on his marriage cert.

Could her Father possibly be the son John mentioned in the will??

In the !851 Census, Great Yarmouth, there is a Newby family next door to my Leggetts.

John Newby, born 1800, GY and wife Hannah and family

William Leggett started out as MS and barman and later publican of "Tomlinsons Arms" and Mary Ann took over licence after his death 1881.

Any help appreciated to confirm my Marys parents.

Trish
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)