Author Topic: Middle name Braithwaite Completed  (Read 8544 times)

Offline muttly

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Middle name Braithwaite Completed
« on: Saturday 03 January 09 20:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I am curious as to why my ancestor William Thornton[born Withierslack 1819] would give most of his children the middle name of Braithwaite on the 1861 census. His wife"s name was Mary Ann Philipson [born Stavely 1823] But on his daughters birth certificate it only says Isabella. [born Hugill 1850] no middle name
It has intrigued me as to what could be the connection. and why only on the census?    Any suggestions?

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Middle name Braithwaite
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 03 January 09 20:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Welcome to rootschat.   Are you sure these are all his children?   I read it as Mary Ann being Philipson and Hannah being called Braithwaite and assumed the ditto for the younger ones referred to Thornton.  RG9 3965 80 14 if anyone wants to look.
Do you have the marriage details?  Have you found them in earlier census records?
Andrea
Edit - altered after looking at it again!   I would assume you will find Braithwaite is a family name further back.

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 03 January 09 20:56 GMT (UK) »
I have now looked at the 1841 and 51 census records and in 51 the two girls have the second names as in 61 but the others do not.  I think you have just misread the dittos!
I see William's baptism in Witherslack is on the IGI but no doubt you know that.
Andrea

Offline muttly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 03 January 09 21:28 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your welcome and speedy answer.
I have Isabella's birth cert,[It does not mention Braithwaite] so I know she is his daughter. In 1851 I think it says MaryannPhilipson daugh & john Philipson son but then it says Braithwaite for Hannah, Margaret & Isabella {also interesting is that Philipsons are neighbours.} The 61 census reads the same as ditto marks under Braithwaite
I don' have a copy of 1871. [Apparently William was visiting the Peet family in Skelsmergh!] I think you are probably correct in the name being part of their family history. But it just seems odd to give the name in a census but not on a birth certificate.  I thought it might help finding the next generation, but iv'e had no luck. Thanks again Just read you second message. I thought dittos referred to the line above them! Not the origional family name DUH! Sorry for wasting your time. Now I feel really old!Can you suggest anywhere online that I can find information about this area around Stavely/Hengill

Offline merryhow

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 03 January 09 21:43 GMT (UK) »

Hi, Mary Ann Philipson b 1823  has a brother James BRAITHWAITE Philipson ch 13th Apr 1819 Stavely, Westmorland (IGI extracted).

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 04 January 09 09:08 GMT (UK) »
That is interesting Merryhow.    Just need to find out who was the Braithwaite now!
Have you looked at genuki for local stuff muttly?   Usually a lot of links on there. 
Andrea

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 04 January 09 09:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Vital records index has a marriage  5th July 1817 Kendal

James Philipson  and Mary Braithwaite

Rosie
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline muttly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 05 January 09 18:42 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both very much for giving me another generation. It is good to have an answer to my curiosity!  I am new to research as my brother was doing it. I now have the "bug" and want to find out more about my ancestors. not just their names, but how they lived I know William Thornton was a tailor. but was that in a factory or workshop? His daughter Isabella moved to Saddleworth and had no "profession" when she married in 1869. Could she have left because of lack of work at home?  I will look on the Genuki site .
 Another query, Could you check the census for James and Mary please?
     Best Wishes Muttly

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 05 January 09 19:54 GMT (UK) »
A possible 1841 entry HO107 1159/11/15 1
Slaythwaite? Mill Kendal
James Philipson 45 Bobbin Turner
Mary 40
Hannah 15