Author Topic: Victoria terace, Redcar  (Read 10455 times)

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Victoria terace, Redcar
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 06 January 09 08:57 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, not 1901 for that particular George!  Very elusive, have searched under all variations, wonder if he was abroad?
Boer war perhaps?
Andrea

Offline miagre1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 22 January 09 01:27 GMT (UK) »
Scan at 300 plus for restores please. Scan at larger dpi for small photos. Don't forget to crop the scanner bed out! (Them's the white bits)
Please feel free to alter any work by me for the benefit of the Poster.

Linklater - Middlesbrough/Orkney/Shetland
Cantley - Longhope/Hoy

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline G Hearse

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 22 January 09 17:07 GMT (UK) »
 Very Good, much appreciated
Hearse..Simpson...Thomas...Ruse...Watson....Bennett

Offline J Hearse

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 09 August 11 19:20 BST (UK) »
The Allan Hearse who died in the motorcycle accident at the age of 27 was my Great Grandfather. The child who was born, Allan Hearse, was my Great Uncle. His sister is my Grandmother and is still living. I am interested in the Hearse side of the family, Mr Hearse, your photo looks really familiar! I'm sure it's one my Grandmother has shown me.
Hearse

Offline J Hearse

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 09 August 11 19:24 BST (UK) »
I have just thought, about George, there is a family rumour that a Hearse emigrated to America and changed his name to Hearst because of the negative connotations of Hearse. My Grandmother has it that this ancestor was connected to the Hearst publishing empire!
Hearse

Offline G Hearse

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 09 August 11 19:38 BST (UK) »
Hello J Hearse, nice to hear from you. I do have some info on George, which I can share, but I am currently away on holiday so away from my PC. I have been in touch with Barry Hearse, who is the son of Allan, so we have shared a lot of info. I will contact later

Stuart Simpson

Offline J Hearse

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 09 August 11 19:59 BST (UK) »
That is my cousin! My Gran, who is now 86, had been researching the Hearse side of the family tree before she took ill and I know that this time last year my dad passed on a big envelope of documents she had collected to cousin Barry when we visited them. My dad told me that there was a will among those papers that belonged to Gran's grandfather or great grandfather & that it was interesting as he'd left a lot of land which had to all be divided up, I will ask if I can have a look at it, it might have been George Hearse's will? Enjoy your holiday, we have just come back from a holiday in N Yorkshire and passed Kirkleatham on our way there, which was how we came to discuss Hearse history again.
Hearse

Offline G Hearse

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 09 August 11 20:04 BST (UK) »
I obtained a copy of Georges will, not much detail, except it shares the interest on him estate between the children, then onto the children's children etc etc. My dad says as a child he and his brothers went to a solicitors to get money for clothes etc. So don't know where it has gone now?

Offline J Hearse

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 09 August 11 20:12 BST (UK) »
We have wondered the same, apparently Gran inherited "quite a bit of money for the time" when he died but it can't have been that much as there's none left now! I'm guessing there were so many beneficiaries of the will that what might have been a substantial estate got watered right down. At least he was being fair and everybody benefited. I remember being in the car with my Gran near the Middlesborough/Redcar area and she told me her Grandfather/Great Grandfather had owned the land we were driving past but it wasn't in the family anymore.
Hearse