Author Topic: Hastie family Peebles  (Read 13960 times)

Offline luckydog

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hastie family Peebles
« on: Monday 05 January 09 15:05 GMT (UK) »
Looking for information on my family . John Dickson Hastie died 16th December 1934 in the Station House , Peebles . He was the stationmaster but I'm not sure at which of the two stations he worked . His wife Annie died in Peebles in 1950 . They had four children including my grandfather . William Hastie who died in Edinburgh , Mary Ford Hastie born 17 Graham Street, Peebles , Philip Martin Hastie born Peebles 1911 and died Peebles 1995 , and John Dickson Hastie born Peebles 1908 and died Peebles 1965 . There was also Hart Hastie who played rugby for Scotland but have no more info on him . Any information , gravestone pictures and transcripts , or if you knew them any memories you would be very welcome .

Offline heathera1940

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Hastie family Peebles
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 08 April 10 11:33 BST (UK) »
I have only just read your message. Better late than never!! You might already have this info. John Dickson Hastie b. 1880 Tweedmouth Berwick on Tweed . He was my mother's Uncle.  He married Annie Henderson Hart.  They had 5 children William , Mary Ford, Martin Philip, John Dickson Hart, and Annie Ruth. John Dickson Hart did indeed play rugby for Scotland. Annie Ruth was a witness at the wedding of her sister Mary.
Regards Heather

Offline greenerman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 10 August 10 02:50 BST (UK) »
Looking for information on my family . John Dickson Hastie died 16th December 1934 in the Station House , Peebles . He was the stationmaster but I'm not sure at which of the two stations he worked . His wife Annie died in Peebles in 1950 . They had four children including my grandfather . William Hastie who died in Edinburgh , Mary Ford Hastie born 17 Graham Street, Peebles , Philip Martin Hastie born Peebles 1911 and died Peebles 1995 , and John Dickson Hastie born Peebles 1908 and died Peebles 1965 . There was also Hart Hastie who played rugby for Scotland but have no more info on him . Any information , gravestone pictures and transcripts , or if you knew them any memories you would be very welcome .
Found this site by accident, amazing. Mary Ford Hastie was my grandmother. She died in Carnoustie, Scotland, on 29th December 2003, aged 99 and a half (exactly). She spent the last few years of her life in a retirement home, near my Dad's (her son's) home.

My Dad has photos of many family members, including Mary's father (one taken at 'his' railway station, if I remember correctly).

Please get in touch if you are still looking for information.

Offline greenerman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 10 August 10 03:01 BST (UK) »
I have only just read your message. Better late than never!! You might already have this info. John Dickson Hastie b. 1880 Tweedmouth Berwick on Tweed . He was my mother's Uncle.  He married Annie Henderson Hart.  They had 5 children William , Mary Ford, Martin Philip, John Dickson Hart, and Annie Ruth. John Dickson Hart did indeed play rugby for Scotland. Annie Ruth was a witness at the wedding of her sister Mary.
Regards Heather
This man - your mother's uncle - was my great great grandmother. I never knew her (I was born in 1960) but I knew her daughter (Mary Ford Hastie) as she was my Gran (d.2003) - my Dad's mother. She moved to Newcastle-upon-Tyne (1930 ish?), married a man called Allan MacLaren (d.1966), who had 3 children - all still alive - one of whom is my father.

Are you related by blood to John Dickson Hastie?

Offline luckydog

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 10 August 10 21:06 BST (UK) »
Hi
Thanks for getting touch. First of all I made a mistake in my original posting . I said he was my mothers uncle , in fact he was my fathers uncle. Not sure how I managed to do that !!!.
As for me I am a direct descendant of John Dickson Hastie. My father, who died a number of years ago, was named after him. I have been in touch with Allan McLaren ( is he your father ? )  and am long overdue to send him an email. The last time we were in touch he suggested we both meet up which I would be keen to do.
If you post a couple of more messages we will be able to exchange personal messages through the site and exchange email addresses.
Mike H

Offline luckydog

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 11 August 10 19:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Greenerman,
I have managed to mix up my posts with Heathers, It's been a tough couple of weeks at work and my brain is not exactly firing on all cylinders. No idea why I thought my  great grandfather was my fathers uncle !!!! . Just really tired I suppose.
Anyway John Dickson Hastie was my great grandfather, his son William Hastie was my grandfather so Mary Ford Hastie was my  great aunt. Hoping to contact Allan Maclaren soon.
Sorry for any unintended confusion.
Mike H

Offline heathera1940

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 29 March 12 17:04 BST (UK) »
I have just re-started my family tree history . In reply to this topic,.   John Dickson Hastie b.1888 was the son of my maternal Great grandfather William Clark Hastie born in Tweedmouth Berwick on Tweed in 1838 . That would make him and all of his siblings my Great Aunts and Uncles. Any info on the Hasties would be appreciated
Cheers Heather

Offline mayland

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 15 April 12 05:12 BST (UK) »
Mary Ford Hastie was my Gran.  Allan MacLaren is my uncle and his sister, Anne MacLaren is my Mum.  Greenerman, which cousin are you?  I am very interested in finding out more about Gran's family.  I saw her in Carnoustie the year before she died.

Offline cabsav

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 05 July 13 23:27 BST (UK) »
All very interesting  ....  Annie Ruth Wells ne Hastie was my mum .... pity I can't work out how to post photos... I have a few good ones of all the Hastie family including stationmaster John Dickson . My mum was born in 1914 in Gartshore , Kirkintilloch in the county of Dumbarton , John Dickson Hastie is listed on the birth certificate as a railway agent then and I'm sure they moved to Croy where he was stationmaster. My uncle Will was also a stationmaster , I remember visiting him at the station at South Queensferry , Forth Bridge . Hart Hastie was a bank manager in Kelso when he died .. he was a great bloke . I also read posts by one of the Merrits ,which one , I used to take Karl for walks in his pram !! Feel free to ask questions ... I can only do my best to answer them .